Not open for further replies.

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Barba looks a cut above as late appearance gives glimpse of potential
GLENN JACKSON
www.leaguehq.com.au

X USED to mark the spot where Ben Barba was trampled, but yesterday was different. X represented his growth as a footballer. After scoring the second of his three tries, Barba crossed his arms to the crowd, a peculiar gesture until it was explained.

''He's our little X-factor,'' hooker Michael Ennis said. ''When he's got the footy, you never know what's going to happen.''

Ennis only adopted the moniker yesterday but he was spot on. ''Just a couple of hours before the game he goes, 'Here comes the X-factor,' and we had a bit of a laugh,'' Barba said.

''After I scored the first one he goes, 'If you score again, give us the X.'''

Barba scored three tries after only scraping himself off the interchange bench in the 56th minute.

Barba has been a talent since he was the 2008 Toyota Cup leading try-scorer, but he has made just 11 NRL appearances since. Many question if he has the defensive capabilities to excel in first grade.

His coach, Kevin Moore, is one of those. But Moore knows Barba still has much to learn so he is taking the slow and steady approach.

Barba is five kilos heavier this year and is already feeling more comfortable in the NRL.

There are so many questions still about him that nobody really knows where his best position is. The Bulldogs have been chasing halfbacks to replace Brett Kimmorley when he retires but Moore sees him as a fullback rather than a No.7. Barba agrees.

''Fullback's probably my preferred position because there's a bit more open space,'' Barba said.

''At the moment I'm enjoying myself coming off the bench. I don't mind the versatility - play anywhere if someone goes down. I'll play a utility role the rest of my life if I get to play first grade.''

Says Ennis: ''He's just a good character, and he's worked so hard over the last few years.

''He was a superstar in the [under] 20s and everyone expected him to just be an overnight success. But Kevvy and the boys have done the right thing by him. He had to bide his time but we're starting to see some of the Ben Barba that everyone knows.''

It's timely. The 20-year-old is off contract at the end of the season and knows that this year could make or break him. He wants to stay with the Bulldogs.

''This is the only place I know,'' Barba said. ''This is the first club I came to. If I could stay, I'd love to stay. We'll just see how things pan out.''

Spoken like a true X-factor, unaware of what's in front of him.

SaMi..

SaMi..
Reaction score
" He wants to stay with the Bulldogs. "

This sentence made me smile from ear to ear. The boy has finally grown into a man,

Jumping in bed now, sleeping with a smile. What A Weekend ! Goodnight :grinning:

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
i hope he stays... they better sign him up ASAP

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Awkward. Reminds me of "absolute freak" Pearce

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I am sure if other clubs started sniffing at him we would tie him up, in the meantime they will try and develop him and make him earn his stripes. Wont be long before he is tied up IMO

Costaki10

Bulldogs Army
Reaction score
hopefully the dogs are now in talks to get a new contract going.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
although his future role in the starting line up is still up in the air, he is showing better potential than prior to this season

will be interesting to see how he goes when we're under the pump, the roosters game was easy pickings for players like barba and leads people to believe he is a better player than he actually is

good on the young bloke, seemingly coming of age

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
When you consider Ben Roberts has played his one good game for the year and now will be a dud for the rest of the season, we should look at giving Barba more game time.

One would also think that Barba will take over Patten's place as the new bulldogs fullback in the coming years.

After this years performances we need to resign him ASAP before some other club snaps him up.

WestBeast

Peyow Peyow
Reaction score
considered it, roberts was a gun today, he also has glimpes of magic, not many players can pinpoint a cross kick like he did today, yeah he may make a few mistakes atleast hes having a go when they do occur, how about supporting the boy rather than bagging him out to me it seems that barba and benny have a good understanding out there and that would be something to nurture, wouldnt it???

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The X factor a little cocky if he's claiming himself that!

Hope he keeps up his form and doesn't misbehave he has his whole footy career ahead of him.

Keep it up Barba!!

SaMi..

SaMi..
Reaction score
The X factor a little cocky if he's claiming himself that!
Hope he keeps up his form and doesn't misbehave he has his whole footy career ahead of him.

Keep it up Barba!!
If you actually read the article, it said Ennis called Barba the X-Factor.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Mitchell Pear..

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
considered it, roberts was a gun today, he also has glimpes of magic, not many players can pinpoint a cross kick like he did today, yeah he may make a few mistakes atleast hes having a go when they do occur, how about supporting the boy rather than bagging him out to me it seems that barba and benny have a good understanding out there and that would be something to nurture, wouldnt it???
Almost every five eight at this level is expected to be able to pull those kinds of kicks with their eyes shut, it's nothing special.

I bag him because he is crap, plain and simple. He has the odd good game but is not a consistent performer which is what is required. I don't think five eight is his perfect position, but Moore has faith in him so I guess we just need to persevere.

BulldogStar

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He matured as a footballer and learnt so much from his short stint in Reserve Grade. The jump from 20s was too big for him, but now he is alot bigger and playing smarter.

Same reason Tapau needs to be playing Reserve Grade. Anyone who has seen much 20's knows he is too good for that grade

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Barba has a great year ahead of him bar injuries.

Let's hope we see more of what we saw yesterday.

Vargster

Moderfaker
Reaction score
lets also hope there isn't a "but" after "I'd like to stay with the Bulldogs...".

Costaki10

Bulldogs Army
Reaction score
although his future role in the starting line up is still up in the air, he is showing better potential than prior to this season

will be interesting to see how he goes when we're under the pump, the roosters game was easy pickings for players like barba and leads people to believe he is a better player than he actually is

good on the young bloke, seemingly coming of age
the first 2 rounds he was by far our best player. against knights when he came on he provided that spark we needed and almost won, against the steelers he again was providing that spark we needed.

i believe he can handle the pressure but its still early so fingers crossed he only gets better and better.

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
Seems Ennis & Barba are getting along very nicely.

This would be good if Barba gets a chance to start and work with Ennis.

Status
Not open for further replies.