Barba leaves Moore facing predicament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogzkill4eva

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canterbury coach Kevin Moore admits he is facing a difficult balancing act as he tries to give Ben Barba more playing time while working to revive his team.

Barba gave another glimpse of his potential with a spectacular individual try in Friday night's 26-6 loss to St George Illawarra at WIN Stadium, his second-half touchdown one of few bright spots as the Bulldogs made it two losses from two attempts to start the season.

Barba came off the bench to play just over 40 minutes at five-eighth, with starting pivot Ben Roberts spending time at hooker and on the bench to accommodate the exciting 20-year-old.

But with the Bulldogs still winless and searching for the rhythm which propelled them to within a game of last year's grand final, Moore admitted he had some difficult decisions to make.

"Fitting him into the side can be a little bit of a difficult thing as far as where do you bring him on because to be fair to Ben Roberts and Noddy (Brett Kimmorley), their combination last year was outstanding." Moore said.

"You don't want to mess with that too much but you also want to balance that by giving Benny some opportunities in first grade because the middle part and back end of the season he could be really handy for us.

"We're trying to blood Ben Barba into a first grader because we see the positives in him.

"He's still got some areas in his game to work on but I think most people who would have seen him over the last couple of weeks would agree the things he needed to work on he's improving - there's a lot of light at the end of the tunnel.

"A bloke with that sort of talent, you've got to give him opportunity to flourish in first grade." Ironically it's neither Kimmorley nor Roberts who is likely to eventually make way for Barba, but rather veteran fullback Luke Patten.

"I think what we're trying to do is groom him for the fullback job down the track - we've got Luke Patten who will finish his contract with us at the end of next year and you look at all the fullbacks in the game these days, Benny's got as much talent as any of them," Moore said.

"Without that responsibility and pressure of having to run the team from seven and six, that's going to be his go down the track."

Moore said the outlook on props Michael Hodgson and Mickey Paea was not good after both suffered suspected medial ligament tears, the pair to undergo scans on Monday with the initial prognosis being a layoff between 4-6 weeks.

astroboy

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
"He's still got some areas in his game to work on but I think most people who would have seen him over the last couple of weeks would agree the things he needed to work on he's improving - there's a lot of light at the end of the tunnel.

He S H I T S on Roberts and Kimmorley at the moment :P tell them to work their games 1st lol

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
who cares about last year kevvy, last year was Kimmorley controlling the game which reduced the presssure on roberts who isnt a 5/8. Now with kimmorley buckling, roberts is clueless. What Barba accomplished in the 1st 2 games, roberts has barely been able to do it in all his years as a first grade 5/8 :p

habibsta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
who cares about last year kevvy, last year was Kimmorley controlling the game which reduced the presssure on roberts who isnt a 5/8. Now with kimmorley buckling, roberts is clueless. What Barba accomplished in the 1st 2 games, roberts has barely been able to do it in all his years as a first grade 5/8 :p
If he thinks Barba has to improve as a player all the fg team barring a few should be in NSW cup and he should give up coaching now. I noticed both green and roberts didnt pass barba the ball yesterday i felt they didnt want him to do anything as he clearly will take Roberts position and keep green in nsw cup.

Kevin Moore's llast 5 Nrl games since we lost minor premiership to tigers. 1 win 4 losses

astroboy

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If he thinks Barba has to improve as a player all the fg team barring a few should be in NSW cup and he should give up coaching now. I noticed both green and roberts didnt pass barba the ball yesterday i felt they didnt want him to do anything as he clearly will take Roberts position and keep green in nsw cup.

Habibsta ppl were bagging you because you said that Roberts and Kimmorley were trying to avoid passing the ball to Barba I saw bit of that in last nights game.

bulldogs27

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
To be honest with Kev, I believe
that Barba would be more suitable
in the halves.
Making tough decisions is inevitable.
Kev is patient with Barba, the confidence
in his game is there and their development
seems strong.
Looking like another good test for
Round 3. Good Luck Bulldogs.

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
Barba's putting alot of pressure on Ben Roberts, if Roberts doesn't step up, give Barba the starting number 6 jersey.

raz7au

Kennel Participant
Gilded
Reaction score
Predicament, Whatever.
Someone please show me or tell me what game/s roberts has featured (played exceptionally well) since signing his new contract,
Very few if any,
Never liked him never will, The same as our half hearted CAPTAIN

Useless HACKS

astroboy

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Only awesome game from Roberts was against the Broncos which that lead to a 2 year contract extension.

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
Can't dwell too much on last year - this year is a new year and clubs will have sorted us out by now

Doga

Father Figure
Reaction score
Only awesome game from Roberts was against the Broncos which that lead to a 2 year contract extension.
Was saying that all last year. Maybe a good game against the Cowboys too

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
and look at the team the broncos fielded. Im 80% certain they were injury hit also

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I don't know what game Kevin is watching, but Barba is outplaying Noddy and Roberts easily.

Stop living in the past and pick this team up ffs Moore.

Grow a pair and drop Ryan as captain too.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
dont pick teams on reputation, but form

TBrawler

Waterboy
Reaction score
Predicament, Whatever.
Someone please show me or tell me what game/s roberts has featured (played exceptionally well) since signing his new contract,
Very few if any,
Never liked him never will, The same as our half hearted CAPTAIN

Useless HACKS
Couldnt agree more, like has already been said, Roberts had one blinder of a game last year. I didnt see him do s**t last night until the last 20 when he kicked. As for Ryan...

NuffSed

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Andrew Ryan had only 6 hit-ups the whole game when Hodgson had to come off and Paea shouldn't have continued but still did. 6 hit-ups, I still can't believe it.

P

PTE HOLLAND

Barba's putting alot of pressure on Ben Roberts, if Roberts doesn't step up, give Barba the starting number 6 jersey.
Roberts has had long enough to prove himself he's like a seesaw.
Time for Barba to get his long awaited crack.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Roberts performs when the forwards perform. He has to have a building block to be creative. Lumbering forwards, galloping up at half pace then going to ground and slow play the balls only advantages the defending team. Roberts - and Barba - are hamstrung by a lack of urgency and ball skills in the forwards. Games are won up the middle. Neither Barba nor Roberts can turn an entire game with weak lead up from the guys who matter most.

Mattreneeandgus

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Exactly, we are lacking go forward from our pack, then when the backs do get the ball the defence is up in their face, causing errors

tempo

Pritteee Good
Reaction score
Ben Roberts has been an embarrasment to first grade in the first 2 games of the season and I'm convinced he shouldn't have been re-signed. In 3 or 4 years he has shown no consistency. How many terrible passes does someone have to throw before he gets hooked Moore? I'm starting to question his ability also tbh. It's clear that Barba deserves the no.6 jersey. His defence is fine. I noticed him hang onto much bigger and stronger players the other night. He's doing a lot more in attack than any other player too.

I see him as a replacement to General years down the track because he would thrive with room to move but until then, put him in the starting spot. Bringing him off the bench is no good if he always has to play catch-up.

I don't see a spot in first grade for Roberts anymore unless we needed him to play centre. Green showed that if ennis misses anymore games that he's a good replacement. As for forwards needing to buiild a good platform for the backs, that's always the way but tell me the last time Roberts scored a solo try from his own brilliance? barba did and he's half the size so it wasn't strength that got him over the line. That's the only thing Roberts has and even that isn't very evident these days.

Terrible news about our props being uinjured. That is going to make the next month very difficult.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.