Avo at 1?

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
@Bazildog You think he cant do it? Mate if Gutherson can do it Burton will be a weapon.

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What would you get if you could get a combination of Averillo and Addocarr at centre and wing.

An Avocado?

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
@Bazildog You think he cant do it? Mate if Gutherson can do it Burton will be a weapon.
To be honest mate I thought you were joking.. Look, I think Burton can playjust about anywhere in the backline and possibly even hooker.

He is a genuine footy player but for us and I think for him the best position is either 6 or 7 as he wants the ball and will dominate no matter who the other half is. Sure he would make a great FB but no fullback in the game is more influential than a dominate 6 or 7.

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Hoppa just could not do the sums yesterday to get Cotric in the corner. At least 3 times.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
To be honest mate I thought you were joking.. Look, I think Burton can playjust about anywhere in the backline and possibly even hooker.

He is a genuine footy player but for us and I think for him the best position is either 6 or 7 as he wants the ball and will dominate no matter who the other half is. Sure he would make a great FB but no fullback in the game is more influential than a dominate 6 or 7.
Cant argue with that... Seem to be on the same page.

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just for fun
  1. Averillo
  2. Cotric
  3. Dwz
  4. Allen
  5. Jac
  6. Burton
  7. Flange/Wakehan/Dietz/Meeney
  8. Ava
  9. Cheese
  10. Marty T
  11. OKUNBOR
  12. Jackson
  13. Thompson
  14. DooreySchoup/Dietz/Wakeham/Meeney
  15. RFM
  16. Hetherington
  17. Atoni
The cheese ain't coming. He is fermenting in the Storm fridge for now.

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Averillo is the best half at the club at the moment, he's improving in all aspects of being a half each week and his defence was quite good yesterday against a huge Raiders pack..

He has potential as a fullback and we need one for next season but we also need a halves partner for Burton and he's the best option we have right now.
Best half in the club, what did he actually do yesterday that was so wonderful. I think yesterday showed how much direction Flanagan actually provides , as I saw Jake totally clueless and with no idea how to game manage against 11 players yesterday. I agree with OP that he should be put at full back. Utilise his strengths which is his running game , without having to rely on him to steer a team around the park.

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I heard whispers he won't be wearing the blue and white next season.

NallaC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I would fuk DWZ off and see if Meaney can develop into a centre. I thought he did ok yesterday and as I said in another thread, I think he's the only player to have improved in our system in the past few years. The kids has desire and a heart, I'll pay that!
Spot on he is no superstar however the kid can play has shown improvement every game.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Best half in the club, what did he actually do yesterday that was so wonderful. I think yesterday showed how much direction Flanagan actually provides , as I saw Jake totally clueless and with no idea how to game manage against 11 players yesterday. I agree with OP that he should be put at full back. Utilise his strengths which is his running game , without having to rely on him to steer a team around the park.
Jake easily outplayed Flanagan, if you can't see that then lol.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
whose on the spliffs brother? :tonguewink:
Not me, although as soon as it’s legal it will be my chaser with a whisky instead of a beer.. Just because I think Avo is not doing himself a favour at 7 and because I don’t think Atoni is the next Jason T??

That’s just pillow talk with me and @BEAST MODE

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Jake easily outplayed Flanagan, if you can't see that then lol.
Dont disagree but i argue that right now we don't have 1 good half at the club?? Avo best of an average bunch yes time will tell as the rounds and losses mount if he holds up probably wil as he is improving....but Flanno will get another crack at it that's a given imo..because as we continue to lose games he cant be sacked without another crack after just 9 games.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not me, although as soon as it’s legal it will be my chaser with a whisky instead of a beer.. Just because I think Avo is not doing himself a favour at 7 and because I don’t think Atoni is the next Jason T??

That’s just pillow talk with me and @BEAST MODE
nah i was only talking about u mixing the topics up lol, i agree mate neither are guns atm, fair way from it..but are keepers and show promise lately.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our season is over. It's time to try things that we may/may not do next season. We should be blooding guys that we intend on keeping around and discarding those who we don't.
IMO I think Barrett will still go with Burton and Flanagan next season. Avo has been ok in the halves but still not great. His long kicking game wasn't good yesterday and his front line defence is questionable. I think him and meaney are probably our best support players when the odd break happens here and there they are quick enough to get there.
I think we should give Avo a few games at FB throughout the season to see how he goes. Have DWZ replace Katoa on the wing. Give Doorey and Atoni more mins. Give Schoupp a run. Let Deitz start.
We can't keep picking the katoas, Smith, wakeham etc. They've had their chance and just aren't up to it.
Next year Burton, Naden, Cotric, Fox, Allan, DWZ are a lock in the backline. We need to figure out how we are going to use Avo and Flanagan.
It’s not only his frontline defence,it’s his defence full stop,I thought he and wakeham were reasonable yesterday,certainly worth preserving,remember burton has been playing out wide,for the panthers and doing quite well.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I didn't say he's a great half. I said he's the best we have this season. Flanagan wouldn't know direction with a compass. Averillo has been better than Flanagan in every area but defence and he wasn't missed at all yesterday.

The attack looked much better without him. Flanagan would get tackled on last tackle or fail to get a grubber in multiple times a game so I'm not sure what makes you think he steers the team around well.

Reactions: DDR