ASADA Discussion Aug 2014 - Show Cause Notices sent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Sharks ASADA case: Wayne Bennett says Shane Flanagan is to blame for the crisis at Cronulla

NEWCASTLE coach Wayne Bennett has taken aim at suspended Sharks coach Shane Flanagan and his staff, accusing them of being responsible for the fate of the 17 Cronulla players caught up in the ASADA drugs scandal.

The controversy directly impacted Bennett’s Knights today with the club losing key forwards Jeremy Smith and Kade Snowden for the rest of the season after the former Sharks pair accepted guilty pleas along with 15 former teammates for taking banned substances.

Bennett says he feels great sympathy for the banned players, blaming Flanagan and his staff for breaching their duty of care back in 2011.

“Obviously, there was a series of incidents that happened at Cronulla in 2011 that were not player driven, which were coach driven, coaching staff driven,” Bennett said.

“They (the players) got extremely bad advice and they are paying a price for that now which in many ways is unfair.

“But at the same time, it’s the code that we work under, WADA, ASADA, and the drugs, in their opinion, are certainly performance-enhancing.

“They (the players) had their duty of care breached as far as I’m concerned. I feel great sympathy for them.”

Bennett claimed players naturally put their faith in coaches and the staff to do the right thing.

“The people they trust more than anybody else in their lives and in what they do is their coaches and their staff,” Bennett said.

“They were told it wasn’t performance-enhancing. That’s been a constant since this has all happened and their trust has been breached and as a result of that, these men are now paying a price for it.”

Asked does the blame lie with Flanagan and his staff, Bennett said:

“Yeah, the buck stops within the group that told them this was okay to do this.

“I said when this all broke that clubs do not do drugs in mass. Players do not do that. You’ll have individuals that go off and do it but not teams.

“I said at the time the only way that would happen is if coaches had convinced them or staff had convinced them it was okay and not performance enhancing and that’s the way it has panned out.

“There is no way you can get 15 or 17 guys in any club — you tell them exactly what is in the drug and it is performance enhancing — that they would all agree to be a part of that.

“It just wouldn’t happen in any club in this country in any code.”

Bennett has spoken to both Smith and Snowden and has no doubts they were unaware that what they were taking at the time was illegal.

“I can tell you they were assured it was to aid recovery and it was not performance enhancing and I’ve worked with those boys for three years, in Jeremy’s case four, and I trust them as much as I would trust anybody,” Bennett said.

Asked about the welfare of the two players and if they were okay with the guilty plea and the reduced suspension, Bennett said:

“Not really but they have to accept the situation and the reality of it all.”

The same goes for the Newcastle club, Bennett claimed.

“There’s been a lot of instances this year the club’s had nothing to do with but they are playing for our club so we are the face of it so we have to take the medicine like they have to take it.

“It’s disappointing but it will be resolved for them now. At least they can move on with nothing hanging over their heads at the end of the next three months.”

Bennett praised the NRL for the way they have handled the crisis.

“The NRL, to their credit, they have taken action against Cronulla. They’ve fined the club heavily, they have suspended a coach, they’ve suspended a trainer from there as well for a period of 12 months.

“Hopefully, the last part of it all now is ASADA taking action against players and hopefully, we can all move on.”

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Could this be absolute genius from ASADA/WADA?

Get them to accept an early plea, which requires admiting guilt to taking drugs.

Then appeal the punishment and they have NO grounds to say "I'm not guilty" as they've already admitted guilt.

This could be an absolute masterstroke if the case.

Izy

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score

Get them to accept an early plea, which requires admiting guilt to taking drugs.

Then appeal the punishment and they have NO grounds to say "I'm not guilty" as they've already admitted guilt.

Was thinking the exact same thing. I agree with you 100%.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
After Phil Rothfield read the article, I think he is in the foetal position.

I would have loved to see Gallen's face after this article came out.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Sure I heard that idiot Ray Hardly saying on the radio the other day that WADA could not intervene (and he is god and knows everything..just ask him).
Hadley wouldn't know shit from clay.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I always wonder what players from other teams and former players know about things that go on. Both Hindy and Gasnier were extremely scathing in their comments re the ASADA rulings. Both were pretty strong in saying that the penalties were nowhere near sufficient and that any form of dabbling in drugs was completely unacceptable and had no place in the game. All the talk of suing etc. is smoke and mirrors stuff.Would I be sarcastic if I said that the performances of Cronulla were certainly not enhanced by the alleged use of the Peptides, but they have certainly left a very sour taste in a lot of peoples mouths. Stewart Mills' mum was interviewed and was very strong in her criticism of the goings on particularly in the case of Shane Flanagan whom she believes had to be complicit in what happened.Cronulla has not been penalised really but the other sides to which the relative players have gone have been, by losing players that transgressed at Cronulla from their sides..

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score

Not sure anything about ASADA has any genius to it. After all their talk and noise about what they have, they offer a 3 game ban?

I think they have nothing that would stand up to a challenge, so, offer a nothing ban to get players to just accept it and be done with it. ASADA can call it a win, and it's done.

To have a second authority come in, and challenge the terms to a ban afterwards can't be legal really (then again, ASADA's method of asking players to prove they are not guilty of something, without specifically laying a charge to be defended wouldn't be either).

If WADA do decide to step in after the farce this has been is finished with the current deal, I think the pressure has to be on the NRL to tell them to **** off.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
All this shit makes me sick to my stomach!

What a waste of time.

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
If WADA do decide to step in after the farce this has been is finished with the current deal, I think the pressure has to be on the NRL to tell them to **** off.
as if the nrl could tell wada to f off - i think the sharks are in trouble to be honest with you, if the players got 12 month bans starting today wada could of taken the view this is enough penalty, but to back date it 12 months and players to miss 3 games is a joke.The more people talk about it the more pressure will be on wada to investigate it and decide either way what a suitable punishment is

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
as if the nrl could tell wada to f off - i think the sharks are in trouble to be honest with you, if the players got 12 month bans starting today wada could of taken the view this is enough penalty, but to back date it 12 months and players to miss 3 games is a joke.The more people talk about it the more pressure will be on wada to investigate it and decide either way what a suitable punishment is
Exactly. Sharks will finish with spoon unless Ricky does what he does best.

So what is the point of a back dated on now current 3 week ban? ASADA is beyond laughable with these actions.

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Why can't they? The players are contracted by the NRL, the NRL runs it's own competition...... if WADA give the impression they want to restart an issue which has been dealt with already (poorly obviously, but, dealt with still), the NRL has to step in and end this foolishness.

WADA where briefed on everything from ASADA, so the idea they can jump in after the event and re-start it shouldn't be tolerated.

There is only 1 reason the players involved would be offered effectively a 3 game ban, ASADA have nothing, or, they knew if challenged they will lose, there isn't a single other explanation for this.

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Exactly. Sharks will finish with spoon unless Ricky does what he does best.

So what is the point of a back dated on now current 3 week ban? ASADA is beyond laughable with these actions.
ASADA was beyond laughable quite some time ago, clearly it is time for a clean out of their ranks and start again.... or just get rid of them, nothing about this has been close to good enough.

ASADA do have something, they have already shown evidence. The bans are justified but the length of those bans are a joke. only 1 month? I do hope WADA get to the bottom of this increase their bans
What have they shown?

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
There is only 1 reason the players involved would be offered effectively a 3 game ban, ASADA have nothing, or, they knew if challenged they will lose, there isn't a single other explanation for this.
If they had nothing or knew if challenged they would lose, why did the players take the ban.

Don't say because of legal fees, as you say the players would have challenged & won, that means the court would award costs to the players.

Owey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I want to know is, why haven't the NRL stripped the Sharks of all their competition points for this year as they did to us 12 years ago during our salary cap breach.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think the whole saga is an absolute disgrace. It started off with that imbecile, Jason Clare making an absolute disgrace of his position. Asada has spent millions of dollars on the investigation and achieved shit all. Its obvious who is taking the drugs by looking at the players. The amount spent on this hardly justifies the result. Any player who uses banned substances should be wiped out for a long time. Besides, the banned drugs hardly improved the performances of the players.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
So is there an official list of results (i.e. who is banned, what was taken, who was involved and etc)?

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
If they had nothing or knew if challenged they would lose, why did the players take the ban.

Don't say because of legal fees, as you say the players would have challenged & won, that means the court would award costs to the players.
It wouldn't be challenged as it will only serve to drag things on. Even if they could prove their "innocence", a lot of sh!t would be flung around the media. Reputations would only be damaged further. At this stage, the Sharks and other club affected (Newcastle and Titans) will slink away in September, so the damaage is as minimal as it gets.

Hopefully it will serve as an incentive to prevent future players doing this sort of thing. Of course the league won't be so kind next time.

They have been found guilty and had their reputations trashed, Gallen certainly will lose the NSW captaincy and won't be picked for the internationals. But also, at the end of the day, they're just peptides... probably a couple of steps up from taking a daily berocca. They weren't munching the roids (well, there is nothing that has been revealed on that front yet), and therefore things like 2 year bans are, in my unpopular opinion, over the top.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
So is there an official list of results (i.e. who is banned, what was taken, who was involved and etc)?
Hopefully we will get to see something with regards to what they are actually being banned for.

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score

Why bother? its 3 games, a challenge could drag on a few more years and would cost plenty during that time. You could get awarded costs... but not until it was all over.

It was reported the players where not clear on what they where pleading guilty too for that matter, the use of a banned substance, but nothing specific, so, why would they bother risking it? I see why as a player you take the deal, but I still only see one reason ASADA offer the deal.

(and, as said, it is a banned substance yes, but it isn't as if it's really anything big...... go to your local supplement store, you'll find plenty of banned substances from their list)

What I want to know is, why haven't the NRL stripped the Sharks of all their competition points for this year as they did to us 12 years ago during our salary cap breach.
The use of them was from a few years back now, I guess it doesn't matter much either way for the Sharks...... stripping points for the year it happened would only mean one less wooden spoon for Paramatta, Sharks never won anything, so what difference would it make? (also, this is members of a team being charged, not the whole squad, so I guess it is more a individual penalty kind of thing)

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
They were just talking about it on the Roast. Pity the panel only contained one footy player (finch).

But I do agree with Tim Gilbert that this issue has become boring and its time to move on and look to the finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.