As a player, Jim Dymock had vision which is something the Bulldogs need

Status
Not open for further replies.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
old article but still what could have been if he did get a proper go at coaching us.....interesting though that after having a lot of the preseason under Dymock we had out best year in 2012

THOSE who know Jim Dymock say he is as honest as they come.

That sentiment is probably best illustrated when Dymock was playing for Parramatta in the late 1990s and found himself being called out by referee Paul McBlane for starting a fight in a match against North Sydney.

"You were the aggressor," McBlane said. "Of course I was," Dymock said with a cheeky grin.

"I f . . king smashed him."

Former Canterbury five-eighth Terry Lamb laughs at the story.

"He's always worn his heart on his sleeve, Jimmy," Lamb said.

"He's always had a sense of humour and he's always got a smile on his face. He loves the game of rugby league and he's got a good football brain."

Canterbury fans are hoping Dymock's football brain will carry the club into the finals. Dymock is hoping it will do that too and also land him the top job at Belmore next season.

The former Bulldogs lock is in the best possible position to push his claims after being appointed as caretaker following Kevin Moore's resignation. Not counting the first match when he was pitched in at the deep end against the Warriors, he has managed three wins and a narrow loss.

By his own admission, Dymock is a throwback to the old days when natural talent carried a player a whole lot further than a set play out of the coaching manual.

"I've put a little bit of structure in place so when something falls down they know we can always come back to it, but I definitely like them to play what's in front of them," Dymock said.

"They've got to be smart about it _ they can't just go willy-nilly and think it's sevens or something like that. They've got to weigh up the situation. What tackle are we on? How long is there on the clock? Are we behind or are we in front? Those sorts of things really determine between a good player and an ordinary player."

Dymock admits he pinched some of that style from former Canterbury and Australia coach Chris Anderson, who found Dymock's approach refreshing. It also reminded Anderson of the way Dymock used to play when he coached him to a premiership in 1995.

"Jimmy was a bloke who could always read the game and see what was in front of him, so I think that would be a breath of fresh air if he could do that," Anderson said.

"It's all about structure now. They really don't have blokes working with each other or for each other. Second-phase football has gone out the window and Jimmy was a genius at that."

Like Lamb, Anderson is another fan of Dymock's honesty. It was an admiration that started at Canterbury and continued even further when Super League split the game apart and threatened to do so at the Bulldogs too when Dymock and three other leading players signed for Parramatta.

"I think the strength of Jimmy is when the bullshit went on with Super League, Jimmy was the one bloke who stood up and wouldn't do anything until he spoke to us," Anderson said.

"He was up front with us about it all and I think that goes to the stature of the man. He's the sort of bloke who wouldn't do the wrong thing by you."

They are qualities Anderson believes Canterbury could use more than ever now. He has been impressed with the job Dymock has already done at the Bulldogs and thinks he could be even better if he was given the opportunity to have a pre-season with the team.

"The one thing with Jimmy is he's probably lacked a little bit of confidence but you never know with blokes once the pressure is put on them that they might really enjoy it," Anderson said.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...he-bulldogs-need/story-e6frg7mf-1226118434180

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
terry lamb had vision as a player tbh

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
terry lamb had vision as a player tbh
and he admitted that he rushed in to coaching and trusted people he shouldn't (thinking other places were like the dogs) and should served more of an apprenticeship....not to mention he landed in a club that had a major shit fight happening behind the scenes with the Western suburbs v Balmain factions on the board and they also had their own seperate teams in reggies the entire place was a shambles

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
and he admitted that he rushed in to coaching and trusted people he shouldn't (thinking other places were like the dogs) and should served more of an apprenticeship....not to mention he landed in a club that had a major shit fight happening behind the scenes with the Western suburbs v Balmain factions on the board and they also had their own seperate teams in reggies the entire place was a shambles
so lets hire lamb then

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
so lets hire lamb then
he walked away and has had nothing to do with coaching since....Dymock has done a long apprenticeship which als includes rep level and also had the head role for a short time (which he excelled at although only a short time) he has also been suggested by many as the person to take over the NSW job when Daley leaves

he has stated he doesn't like over structured teams who cant think for themselves......which is what we have here

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
he walked away and has had nothing to do with coaching since....Dymock has done a long apprenticeship which als includes rep level and also had the head role for a short time (which he excelled at although only a short time) he has also been suggested by many as the person to take over the NSW job when Daley leaves

he has stated he doesn't like over structured teams who cant think for themselves......which is what we have here

Always thought that Jimmy looks uncomfortable doing the half time interviews and having to answer the question regarding what we did right in the first half and what we needed to do in the second half. Consistently along the lines of sticking to our structures, completions etc. ....I bet he wants to scream and hit someone every time he is asked that.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Was watching the 1995 Grand final last week, he was such an integral part of the team, great player with vision and awesome ball skills, and he played with his heart on his sleeve. LOves the Bulldogs big time and i wouldnt mind him getting another go at Head coach.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Jim has stayed loyal to the club - I guess, in the hope that he would serve an apprenticeship under Hasler, then be offered the top job. How long can he cool his heels? He did remarkably well when Folkes walked out on the club. The attacking play he instigated was refreshing and entertaining. I'd take that any day to the boring football we are assaulted with today.

khan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Always thought that Jimmy looks uncomfortable doing the half time interviews and having to answer the question regarding what we did right in the first half and what we needed to do in the second half. Consistently along the lines of sticking to our structures, completions etc. ....I bet he wants to scream and hit someone every time he is asked that.
So true! Haha

khan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd rather have Dymock next year and finish 9th than have Des and finish 7th
Dymock has to be given the top role. I cant think of anything better than having him in charge.
Met him and had a good chat with him a couple of times, the bloke is quality and knows his shit. As much as i cant stand des, im sure jim would of picked up a few handy tips along the way. Btw loved op - Dymock a must!!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
What is Hagan doing atm?

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
What is Hagan doing atm?
retired from coaching due to the stress which got to the point of affecting his heart...... think he was taken to the hospital mid game before calling it quits

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
retired from coaching due to the stress which got to the point of affecting his heart...... think he was taken to the hospital mid game before calling it quits
Ahh unlucky.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Dymock and cleary would be an ideal and fresh new view
Wow
One could only dream

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
Was watching the 1995 Grand final last week, he was such an integral part of the team, great player with vision and awesome ball skills, and he played with his heart on his sleeve. LOves the Bulldogs big time and i wouldnt mind him getting another go at Head coach.
Did you also notice how boring des style of play was back then to. See how shit house his hopeless passes were. Exactly what he is teaching the players now.

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
Dymock and cleary would be an ideal and fresh new view
Wow
One could only dream
Is easy to make happen. Ivan would take the job in a heart beat. But the dead beat board we have aren't taking notice.

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
I think your talking about Chris Anderson. Pretty sure he Hagan was suffering from vertigo when he was at the eels from memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.