Are we really as 'big' as we think we are

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
We havent been big for since 2009 the way I see it.
I'd probably say 2012 but its still a long time either way!

It should be Top 8 is a just expected, Top 4 is a regular occurrence and making and winning GF's is a realistic goal every year.

Could our expectations have been raised so much because of our success in the 80's,90's and 00's? Its possible but that's a moot point because we shouldn't be where we are now that's for sure.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
greenberg ruined it all by trying to take the club mainstream for his own personal benefit and disrespecting how the club was run previously

2006 preliminary final is the biggest difference making event, we were very unlucky in parts of that game including brisbane getting a bullshit try in the first half, refs missing a clear high shot on sbw and a charge down not ruled 6 again, both occasions when we could have been on the attack to get back into the match

if we win that game and get into the grand final and maybe win it, then i think folkes is safe for the foreseeable future, the board wouldnt lose the election in 2008, the club would still need to rebuild and it would have been a totally different club now

but still the kennel deserves it for turning on folkes and the board so easily and agreeing with the steps greenberg was taking famously creating a thread implying that hasler would have won many titles if he was coach instead of folkes

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
greenberg ruined it all by trying to take the club mainstream for his own personal benefit and disrespecting how the club was run previously

2006 preliminary final is the biggest difference making event, we were very unlucky in parts of that game including brisbane getting a bullshit try in the first half, refs missing a clear high shot on sbw and a charge down not ruled 6 again, both occasions when we could have been on the attack to get back into the match

if we win that game and get into the grand final and maybe win it, then i think folkes is safe for the foreseeable future, the board wouldnt lose the election in 2008, the club would still need to rebuild and it would have been a totally different club now

but still the kennel deserves it for turning on folkes and the board so easily and agreeing with the steps greenberg was taking famously creating a thread implying that hasler would have won many titles if he was coach instead of folkes
100% agree on Greenberg using the club for his own agenda, I also blame him for losing Barba, the way he handled that situation was disgraceful!

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we need to calm down, a couple of questions, when did hasler leave Manly? How is Manly been going since? Who did Hasler let go from the dogs? How many players that are now super stars did cleal miss out on?

Barrett needs to be given time, he's come in and has put great people around him to support him, it's been a long time since we've had this type of coaching staff.

We need to believe in the process, give him the support he needs and stop the knee jerk reactions. Be patient, Trent is going to turn this around!

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
We are Wests Tigers levels. Not gonna get aby better either.

Worst part is, we will beat some other low level **** club and upset some top 8 side when we shouldn’t again only because they don’t show up and it will mask the rotting carcass that the entire club is from top to bottom - again.

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are Wests Tigers levels. Not gonna get aby better either.

Worst part is, we will beat some other low level **** club and upset some top 8 side when we shouldn’t again only because they don’t show up and it will mask the rotting carcass that the entire club is from top to bottom - again.
That’s wishful thinking.

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont think that is a fair call tbh.
We supporters bleed blue n White and have been through a lot of painful seasons year on year for a long time .People put there hard earned into supporting the club either from membership ,Buying merchandise or making efforts to go to games and deserve a team that competes and gives some entertaining value .
Same said for the people who give up there valuable time to watch our games .
Supporters of all teams fluctuate on the back of successful and non successful periods and that is standard .
We are all in the hope of our team being the best it can be and remain proud supporters .I guarantee the people you refer to still wear there bulldogs jersey ,hat etc even if put off by the mediocre performances but are a little deflated and uninspired .
It would be a problem if us dogs supporters changed our team but i dont think that is happening so we are still all true dogs supporters !.
Times are tough but every week i hope we win like us all .
Go the Dogs
I’m the same mate 15 year member pledged last years membership. Jerseys etc and you’re right there’s plenty out there that bleed blue and white and plenty on this forum but look no further than when Newcastle were in the cellar for years and they still had great crowds week in week out compared to us tiny crowds memberships dwindling etc I love the dogs as much as anyone and want to see them back on top but I feel like plenty of fans jump ship pretty easily unfortunately

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The reality of the situation now is that even the money clubs can spend on staff is restricted by the NRL. In our golden era this was the start of our success. We had the best junior development system because our recruitment staff were top of the line. Our coaching staff at every level were brilliant. We recruited the best players when we had to and developed juniors of a very high calibre.

The NRL has bought in rules restricting spending so that the clubs who aren't in a financial position to excel can supposedly compete without risking becoming insolvent. But the system falls down because a handful of clubs are still exploiting the system without fear of repercussion. You know the system is busted when you see a club using peptides across the roster not even punished, followed by a period where they cheat the cap for numerous years and they're given a slap on the wrist.

At the end of the day we're a club that gets crucified for any indiscretion while others get a free pass. We should just follow suit of the clubs currently succeeding and fucking cheat our way back to the top. If we have to go a year without earning points, is it still better to have a dominant side winning games or do we tread softly for 5-6 years and slow build our way back to success while losing out to teams that freely exploit the system and cop slaps on the wrist or just have these indiscretions overlooked.

To start with I think we need to spend big on the best talent scouts and junior coaching available. This used to be where we got our main advantage in being able to get a year or two out of talented juniors before they became a salary cap drain. It allowed us to also recruit big talent where we couldn't bring through a potential star. Until we can get our production line back on track we might be able to push back to the middle of the competition, but we'll remain thereabouts until our juniors are an incredible part of the success again.

But at present the system is broken and it means that a club that isn't on top is going to find it incredibly difficult to climb out of the holes the NRL has dug for them unless they cheat the system.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
[
The reality of the situation now is that even the money clubs can spend on staff is restricted by the NRL. In our golden era this was the start of our success. We had the best junior development system because our recruitment staff were top of the line. Our coaching staff at every level were brilliant. We recruited the best players when we had to and developed juniors of a very high calibre.

The NRL has bought in rules restricting spending so that the clubs who aren't in a financial position to excel can supposedly compete without risking becoming insolvent. But the system falls down because a handful of clubs are still exploiting the system without fear of repercussion. You know the system is busted when you see a club using peptides across the roster not even punished, followed by a period where they cheat the cap for numerous years and they're given a slap on the wrist.

At the end of the day we're a club that gets crucified for any indiscretion while others get a free pass. We should just follow suit of the clubs currently succeeding and fucking cheat our way back to the top. If we have to go a year without earning points, is it still better to have a dominant side winning games or do we tread softly for 5-6 years and slow build our way back to success while losing out to teams that freely exploit the system and cop slaps on the wrist or just have these indiscretions overlooked.

To start with I think we need to spend big on the best talent scouts and junior coaching available. This used to be where we got our main advantage in being able to get a year or two out of talented juniors before they became a salary cap drain. It allowed us to also recruit big talent where we couldn't bring through a potential star. Until we can get our production line back on track we might be able to push back to the middle of the competition, but we'll remain thereabouts until our juniors are an incredible part of the success again.

But at present the system is broken and it means that a club that isn't on top is going to find it incredibly difficult to climb out of the holes the NRL has dug for them unless they cheat the system.
Well laid out and explained.

ALL the bottom 10 teams are in this predicament really.

Places 7 and 8 in the Top 8 just making up the numbers.

We have to find any way we can of digging out.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I feel like we're Souths in the early/mid 00s, 2-3 name players while the rest are bums. Took them 10 years to make the top 4.

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
Having to spend 90% of the salary cap on players that aren’t worth 50% hurts us. We have bums that can just show up and go through the motions each week with no risk of losing their jobs for inept performances, and still get paid top dollar