An inexperienced half & fullback to get us into the finals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogzkill4eva

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
come on.. Yea there is no experience at fullback and halfback but we should still have faith in our players. Yes they are not experienced enough but seeing them play last year they could be experienced enough to get us in the finals.

Wait till the season starts to determine if they are enough for us to go all the way

TJ

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I am not worried about the half back position to be honest. Hodkinson did well last year at halfback so he wont be overawed. Barba is the key to our performance, he will be targeted and if he is weak early on it will take a long time for him to gain confidence and teams will continue targeting unless we shift our backline, in which case that poses a couple of more problems in terms of combinations and the team geling.

Jigga

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I don't think were being over confident, the makings of a very good football team is there and if it can be kept together it could turn into something special, bring on the tigers!!!!

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
The club did well to replace Kimmorely and he is still here as an assistant, on field plenty of leadership from Ryan, Ennis and Idris is required, yep I reckon the young fella has embarassed the team with his passion in the past and is one for the rookies to look up to and follow.

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
The club did well to replace Kimmorely and he is still here as an assistant, on field plenty of leadership from Ryan, Ennis and Idris is required, yep I reckon the young fella has embarassed the team with his passion in the past and is one for the rookies to look up to and follow.
What did he do embarrass them?

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
The big question is if Barba is our best attacking weapon, he makes plenty of breaks, tries etc. yet he also has a very weak defensive game at fullback - what will Moore do?

You can not persist with a defensive liability even if he is your best attacking weapon can you ?
Yes.

Soward can't defend for ****, Thurston is a turnstile and those guys go alright. I actually think Barba's defensive problems get over stated anyway, he isn't great, but he'll be fine (and yes, just like last year, if someone twice his size runs at him he will get run over, but if the rest of the team is doing it's job it shouldn't come to that)

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Patten going in the end wasnt a loss. If he went a year before maybe i woulda said different. Barba will be better than Patten 2010 with one arm behind his back.

I'm not saying Patten wasn't/isn't a long way past his best, but was he as much of a liability last year as some people have made out? Okay, there were basic errors - home to Warriors and (I think) Souths leading to cheap tries, but he did also come up big on occasion too. Both the Storm game in Adelaide and the final day at Brookvale came down to last ditch goalline stops and the General forcing a winger into touch.

Barba offers a heck of a lot more in attack than Patten, but I'm not convinced Patten was as poor last year as some think. I hope I'm wrong and it's not a "don't know what you've got until it's gone" situation regarding our fullback position, especially defensively.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
What did he do embarrass them?
We have seen the bloke outplay his team a number of times while the rest of the side looks on, he has the will to win and he needs to pass on his determination.

DoggiesUtd

ps3- DoggiesUtd
Reaction score
Yes.

Soward can't defend for ****, Thurston is a turnstile and those guys go alright. I actually think Barba's defensive problems get over stated anyway, he isn't great, but he'll be fine (and yes, just like last year, if someone twice his size runs at him he will get run over, but if the rest of the team is doing it's job it shouldn't come to that)
well said.......i dnt see why every1 is talking about Barba and worrying about his defence at the back......would you rather him defend in the front line?
i think hes going to be electric at fullback.........and i cant wait til Monday night....BU11DOGS

Kratos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not saying Patten wasn't/isn't a long way past his best, but was he as much of a liability last year as some people have made out? Okay, there were basic errors - home to Warriors and (I think) Souths leading to cheap tries, but he did also come up big on occasion too. Both the Storm game in Adelaide and the final day at Brookvale came down to last ditch goalline stops and the General forcing a winger into touch.

Barba offers a heck of a lot more in attack than Patten, but I'm not convinced Patten was as poor last year as some think. I hope I'm wrong and it's not a "don't know what you've got until it's gone" situation regarding our fullback position, especially defensively.
Patten only seemed so bad last year because every other year he was magic. Before last year he very rarely ever made bad mistakes or judgements and was so reliable, he was also a weapon in attack. Last year's form was just such a stark contrast to the rest of his career and that's what stands out for people.

General was an iconic Bulldog, a real favourite despite last year.

DoggiesUtd

ps3- DoggiesUtd
Reaction score
Patten only seemed so bad last year because every other year he was magic. Before last year he very rarely ever made bad mistakes or judgements and was so reliable, he was also a weapon in attack. Last year's form was just such a stark contrast to the rest of his career and that's what stands out for people.

General was an iconic Bulldog, a real favourite despite last year.
well said.....1 of the best fullbacks to never play origin......but had a shocker last yr..........was good to see him end his career with a win @ brookvale

Kratos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
well said.....1 of the best fullbacks to never play origin......but had a shocker last yr..........was good to see him end his career with a win @ brookvale
And for Trent to get a good look at the jersey he now wears!

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He made the game saving tackle in the last second almost knocked himself out too. Fkn champion. Barba better do us proud.

NotRayHadley

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hmmm, the inexperienced half helped those whingers into 8th, despite the casualty ward at Brookvale, so I'm confident he will be fine with the depth we have.
I hope that now Jamal has eyes that work he will not need the support of the half and guidance from Barba in defence this year to carry him through. This was a bigger contributor to the old men showing their age and being able to do their jobs properly.
This will be a big year at Belmore.

Dogzkill4eva

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are Canterbury Bulldogs, doesn't matter if they are experienced enough or not, trust in the bulldogs management, the players they get are good enough to do the job

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Some facets of the game still haven't changed and if we do these we will be up there at the money end of the season, from there we just have to see if we have those extra couple of gears required to take a genuine crack at the title. If our forwards which we have purchased and promoted do their jobs (which I definately think they can) than our young blokes get all the time in the world to make decisions and gain confidence. Its not just this year but every year we keep a young halves combo together increases our chances of a long period of being successful. There is absolutely no reason what so ever that we cannot win and win well with the team we have other than individuals not performing including players and coach! I am hoping for a massive improvement from Moore this year and will give him the benefit of the doubt. Barba is just pure class and anyone that excites the whole league the way he does just by playing limited minutes last year can take it to several more levels, and as soon as his defence comes in he has the potential to be the best fullback in rugby league. Our young halves combo has reportedly being playing together since they were kids so young yes but well aware of eachothers game and for this reason I do not know where Roberts fits in? If we can get Pritchard to finally reach his potential than he will be the most devastating forward in the game. We have experience there also in Ryan, Stagg and Ennis (all key positions) mixed with exciting new blood wanting to prove themselves. And certainly no shortage of impact with Beastwood, Pritchard again, hopefully Kasiano, Idris, & Paea. Workhorses in Stagg, Tolman, Ryan & Ennis. 2011 comes down to pride and injuries. I think we are looking great!!!!!!

suiker

Top bird
Reaction score
Robert Lui and Wade McKinnon/Beau Ryan/Insert Name Here got the Tigpies awful close to the GF. They would've been there if the ref hadn't penalised them out of the semi against the Merge.

Status
Not open for further replies.