Alcohol summit to sober up NRL

Status
Not open for further replies.

JERRY LEE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
EXCLUSIVE by Josh Massoud Source: The Daily Telegraph
AS THE hangover from its season of hell lingers, a revolution is looming to change rugby league's long link with alcohol.

The NRL is visiting each of the 16 clubs, asking players for advice on how best to deal with the issue of alcohol abuse.

A brainchild of the Australian Drug Foundation (ADF), the project intends to canvass the views of every stakeholder - players, coaches, strappers, directors, fans, sponsors, canteen ladies and media - on alcohol in rugby league.

The ADF will then recommend a code that will dictate minimum standards for service of alcohol at all NRL functions and games, as well as social events like Mad Monday.

Stage one of what shapes as a three-year process began in September, when ADF experts visited finals matches to look at the drinking habits of fans. The next step was a 45-minute presentation at each club - including South Sydney last week - to explain the ADF's research to the players.

The Daily Telegraph sat in on the Rabbitohs visit, where the team's stars were handed questionnaires about how the game is faring in management of alcohol.

The ADF will return to each club in the new year and repeat the process with coaching staff, board members and office workers. There will be more visits to games over the first three rounds of the 2010 premiership - and fans, reporters, sponsors and junior league officials will also be consulted.

ADF national innovation manager Richard Colbran hopes to draft an NRL Alcohol Management Guideline by June.

The ADF and NRL have been working loosely together for the past two years, but last season's booze-fuelled disasters convinced the code it had a serious problem. Colbran said the ADF would recommend "significant changes'' that will arrive as a shock to the game's system.

"I'm not at liberty to go into specifics at this stage, but we are going to challenge the NRL big time with some of the changes that will be suggested,'' Colbran said. "We've got to be careful not to pre-empt anything, but already we're seeing things that need to be changed.

"That's not a criticism of rugby league. This isn't about criticising or even educating. It's about gathering everyone's feedback and then working out an umbrella management guideline for alcohol in rugby league.''

Colbran said the fact players weren't being targeted for rugby league's alcohol woes was a major difference in this project.

"Our approach with the NRL is that it's not always fair for the finger to be pointed at the players,'' Colbran said. "If the game is going to develop a consistent approach, then everyone needs to be included - from the chairman to the strapper. At the end of the day, we want rugby league to become a leader in this area and be an advocate about alcohol's impact on the community at large.''

NRL welfare and education manager Matt Francis has been liaising with the ADF during the project's initial stages.
Francis said the game's standard response to drunken controversies had been to point to society-wide problems.

"And we've probably got to move beyond that,'' Francis said. "We need to work out what the game is going to do in response. We can't use society as part of the reasoning or as an excuse. We need to respond as a game and also take a leading role in the community.''

Francis also guaranteed that the NRL would receive the ADF's recommendations with an open mind. "We wouldn't have taken on such a big process unless we accepted there are going to be some challenges [with implementation of the strategy]. But if we aren't proactive now, then those challenges are just going to be greater in the future,'' he said.

Colbran said the NRL had not spoken to the ADF about illicit drugs in the wake of the drugs charges laid against Danny Wicks.

"In theory we probably could do something similar with illicit drugs, but there would be a lot more difficulties because you are talking to people about an illegal activity,'' he said.

"When you talk about alcohol, people can talk freely. With drugs, there's a few more issues around what they can and can't say.''

League Freak

Kennel Established
Reaction score
And then we'll apply this to the rest of society and we'll all be drug and alcohol free.....right?

Sure the NRL has to do this because they have to make the game as trouble free as possible. However the fact is that there will always be issues because Rugby League is played by humans, and humans are a bunch of idiots.

Hog

The War Pig
Reaction score
you can tell people as much as you want but you don't learn and till you fck up yourself. i fcked up bad now i don't drink simple as that.

Vagabond

flumshma
Reaction score
Why is NRL asking the clubs?

Shouldn't they stamp on the rules?

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Societies Bullsh1t is enough to make anyone drink, but they do need to weed out the troublemakers.

League Freak

Kennel Established
Reaction score
you can tell people as much as you want but you don't learn and till you fck up yourself. i fcked up bad now i don't drink simple as that.
Look, we all kill a hooker in a drunken rage every so often. Don't beat yourself up over it. Just remember, you can't kill something that was already dead inside.

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
personally im just tired of the game being tarnished tbh...when are these idiots gonna learn that every action they take can have major repercussions...i don't know what needs to be done but im tired of seeing players in the news and in the papers for the wrong reasons

steve_mortimer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The game is going to continue to be dragged in the mud as long as we continue to use alcohol as a major player in sponsorship. Clear it out of the game in every way then you might see some changes.

I refuse to take my neice to the NRL anymore due to the language thrown about, violent attitude of fans, disrespectful attitude towards woman ie: learing and foul comments towards cheerleaders (why the game needs these wannabe strippers is beyond me) and the continued problems with players not being able to act like normal human beings.

Instead we go to the A-League where there is alot less of the former and a more friendly environment for kids. :grinning:

The NRL is now paying the price for letting officials, players and managers chase the cash cow. Greed had ruined the game in many respects and it will be a very long time before it becomes a valued product again in many eyes.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The game is going to continue to be dragged in the mud as long as we continue to use alcohol as a major player in sponsorship. Clear it out of the game in every way then you might see some changes.

I refuse to take my neice to the NRL anymore due to the language thrown about, violent attitude of fans, disrespectful attitude towards woman ie: learing and foul comments towards cheerleaders (why the game needs these wannabe strippers is beyond me) and the continued problems with players not being able to act like normal human beings.

Instead we go to the A-League where there is alot less of the former and a more friendly environment for kids. :grinning:

The NRL is now paying the price for letting officials, players and managers chase the cash cow. Greed had ruined the game in many respects and it will be a very long time before it becomes a valued product again in many eyes.
i agree 100%

League Freak

Kennel Established
Reaction score
There is nothing as friendly as a soccer crowd.

As long as they are not racially taunting one another, lighting flares and stabbing each other to death.

Good call!

Status
Not open for further replies.