AFL may have to cancel season if Australia wins FIFA World Cup finals bid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
AFL may have to cancel season if Australia wins FIFA World Cup finals bid

December 07, 2009

The AFL may be forced to cancel its premiership season if Australia wins the right to host the 2018 or 2022 FIFA World Cup finals, AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou says.

“"You can't just move the season to January: it's out of the (television) ratings period, you've got cricket, it's hot, it just doesn't work."” – Andrew Demetriou The AFL chief executive has issued scary-sounding quotes but nevertheless believes "wiser heads will prevail".

The AFL will find it impossible to schedule a viable season if FIFA, football's world governing body, can claim exclusive access to Australia's biggest stadium - the 100,000-capacity MCG - for four months, Demetriou said.

The World Cup finals last only four-and-a-half weeks in June and July, but Demetriou said the AFL had learned that the MCG could be decommissioned for four months while it was refitted for football.

"The World Cup starts ... in June and there's four or five weeks of securitising it, putting signage up," Demetriou said.

"They would commence work in late March or early April, and that would probably mean we'd just have to cancel the season because that would mean we wouldn't have the MCG for 16 weeks.

"We could probably do without it for 10 weeks and we'd have to play at Etihad Stadium.

"But we couldn't do it (for 16 weeks).

"We'd have to cancel the season.

"You can't just move the season to January: it's out of the (television) ratings period, you've got cricket, it's hot, it just doesn't work.

"We've even toyed with the possibility of suspending the season for four weeks because that's what we originally thought was going to happen.

"And that could work. It's not easy, but it could work.

"We're trying to find ways to accommodate (Football Federation Australia) ... but we haven't had much come back the other way."

Demetriou said the AFL had a history of working constructively alongside major sporting events in Australia, citing the 2000 Olympic Games in Sydney and the 2006 Commonwealth Games in Melbourne.

The 2000 AFL season began a month early, allowing it to finish in August ahead of the Sydney Games in September.

"Cancelling a season is a disaster," Demetriou said.

"It affects revenue - we've got broadcast agreements, we've got agreements with members, we've got agreements with corporate partners.

"The cost is a monumental cost, and I'm talking hundreds of millions of dollars.

"Secondly, it would probably mean that some clubs who rely on the $7.5-8 million (annual) distribution from the AFL - there's no way they could be sustained because they haven't got that money coming in.

" ... it (puts clubs at risk), it would mean a lot of jobs at risk, it would mean the severing of some agreements.

"But I don't think it's going to get to that, I think wiser heads will prevail.

"It's not just us, I'm sure the NRL are in the same boat, and the ARU with their Super 15 season.

"This (would be) the first World Cup where four football codes have ever been staged in the one country."

England is favoured to win the right to host the 2018 World Cup finals, but Australia's bid for the 2022 competition continues to gain momentum.

FIFA will vote on the host nations for both tournaments in December 2010.

i know alot of you don't like AFL but i think if they need to cancell the season then they should get some major compensation if aus does get it

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
LOL finally playing in sh!tty stadiums pays off

I doubt any World Soccor game will be held in sh!tty 20k seat arenas like Penrith, Toyota Park, Brookvale, Campbelltown, Leicharddt, Parra, WIN, Okie Dokie etc etc

I think this holds the NRL in pretty good stead tbh, most our games are covered ... probably some relocation around Brisbane, Melbourne and Bulldogs (possible a season in Belmore with some upgrades)

Costaki10

Bulldogs Army
Reaction score
if they do cancel the season this would be a great chance for rugby league to show case our sport while they have the season off.

D

dogs_4 lyf

whole season cancelled? i find that exaggeration. its 9-10 years away instead of *****ing they should work something out

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
well the fact that most of the teams are played in melb, besides geelong you can't play every game at ethihad

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
i would love to see the AFL season to be canned...cmon world cup

D

dogs_4 lyf

well they've tried and i guess it didn't go too well
guess the thing is with the cricket season and A league during the summer they cant really start it early. I don't know there going to have to work something out im sure they can with 10 years notice lol

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
guess the thing is with the cricket season and A league during the summer they cant really start it early. I don't know there going to have to work something out im sure they can with 10 years notice lol
true they've got 9/13 yrs

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
also you'd have to rectagularise the mcg therefore wouldn't be able to play on it anyway

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
LOL @ cancel the season, as if.

Solutions
*Play at smaller grounds
*shorten the season and have a 8 week break
*HTFU

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
melb only have the stadiums which the vfl play which wouldn't hold alot

morgandogs

ARMIT LOVE
Reaction score
surely there is good 2nd tier grounds in melbourne just as their is in sydney like we couldnt use anz or mayb sfs but there is still scg kograh concord campbelltowm ect

JERRY LEE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
trying to scare people so they dont get behind soccer, he must be scared of soccer.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fair call, cause I gotta admit, 'soccer' is f***en scary.

Status
Not open for further replies.