Abbey On Road To Being A Smash Hit (RLW Article)

Status
Not open for further replies.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The biggest obstacle this young guy will face is Des Hasler. He just wont promote anyone who shows promise unless there is no alternative.
Abbey has huge potential. He wont learn anything in the reggies. He needs to be put straight into FG, to play with competent players. He will be the FB for a long time.
Dont let his age fool anyone. Its just if your good enough, and I believe he is.
Huge gamble chucking him in at fg straight away , if he is not up to it , it could crush his career . ( but he could absolutely carve up as well ).
I pesonally think have him run in under 20s for a few games , give him a run nsw cup see how his defence holds up.
Hopefully if he is good enough he gets brought through and promoted

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
[h=2]Abbey On Road To Being A Smash Hit[/h]
What an awful pun

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
No .. Tommy turbo smoked him in 1 game YES.

But his defensive lapses make Sam Perrett look like the NRLs top defender. See, Abbey hasn't learned to tackle yet. Instead he literally just bumps into players trying to push them over.

Doe he score tries? YES
Does he let in a lot of tries ? HELL YES
Does he have hands that often let him down? YES
Hmm... This CV sounds just like (the pre wife bashing & boozing) Ben Barba until Hasler told him what his assets and liabilities were and what he had to do to become "Hasler friendly".

Is there any reason that Brad Abbey can't strengthen his body and turn his liabilities into assets?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
The biggest obstacle this young guy will face is Des Hasler. He just wont promote anyone who shows promise unless there is no alternative.
Abbey has huge potential. He wont learn anything in the reggies. He needs to be put straight into FG, to play with competent players. He will be the FB for a long time.
Dont let his age fool anyone. Its just if your good enough, and I believe he is.
Ohh fffs, he is no where near fg standard. He will cost us us big time if he is thrown straight in full time. Some of you lot have alrrady thrown unrealistic expectations om the kid, he hasn't even turned 19, no need to rush him.

BulldogzLegend

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really? I think you obviously haven't done your research and don't know the reserve grade teams well
Mbye promoted ahead of Frawley
Mbye ahead of Reynolds often this year and even Hodko at times
Lane ahead of o hanlon, Elliot and others
Jackson and finucane ahead of plenty of others during the last few years
Klemmer promoted in 2013 ahead of plenty of others who were more experienced
Inu dropped for lafai

Hasler promotes more young kids than most coaches

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hasler is not afraid of throwing young kids into FG. Eg: Will Hopoate 18 , he filled in filled for Stewart and Foran debuted at 19. If he plays well in NSW cup, Hasler might give him a go around the Origin period when Brett is away.

BulldogzLegend

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hasler is not afraid of throwing young kids into FG. Eg: Will Hopoate 18 , he filled in filled for Stewart and Foran debuted at 19. If he plays well in NSW cup, Hasler might give him a go around the Origin period when Brett is away.
Try telling that to the hoard of idiots who bag Hasler all the time
People forget we weren't competitive for years before him

People were bagging Ennis for years saying he was shit
We let him go and now everyone thinks he was god

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Hes likely to be a depth buy short term and being prepared for when the mozzes retire, which isnt that far into the future, which would put a big hole in our backline. Perrett is also in his last few years probably

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Is there any reason that Brad Abbey can't strengthen his body and turn his liabilities into assets?
Best way to describe Abbey, is that the raw talent is there. He does show some really nice skills (passing and running game), can break the line, and is a good reader of the game and creative with ball in hand.

Needs work in defence area, and whilst he has fumbled balls before, he has also taken some amazing catches at fullback.

Could be be a superstar? YES

But he shouldn't be overhyped until he can prove himself to be dominating NSW Cup.

All too often the media / people blow their nuts over some "next superstar", and they often fail to make the grade from NYC to NSW Cup and to first grade. It's a tale so often read/heard of before, and then people go "hey what happened to that Abbey bloke" ... "Oh he's playing park footy for Christchurch now".

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Mbye promoted ahead of Frawley
Frawley is dead average. Mbye is the better player. Hasler had no choice. Logical decision.

Mbye ahead of Reynolds often this year and even Hodko at times
Reynolds/Hodko were injured/suspended during those periods. Hasler had no choice. Logical decision.

Lane ahead of o hanlon, Elliot and others
Elliott is dead average. O'Hanlon was in rehab. Hasler had no choice. Logical decision.

Jackson and finucane ahead of plenty of others during the last few years
They were the best players at the time. Logical decision.

Klemmer promoted in 2013 ahead of plenty of others who were more experienced
He was the next best player at the time. Logical decision.

Inu dropped for lafai
Inu was hit and miss. Lafai was consistent. Logical decision.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Frawley is dead average. Mbye is the better player. Hasler had no choice. Logical decision.

Reynolds/Hodko were injured/suspended during those periods. Hasler had no choice. Logical decision.

Elliott is dead average. O'Hanlon was in rehab. Hasler had no choice. Logical decision.

They were the best players at the time. Logical decision.

He was the next best player at the time. Logical decision.

Inu was hit and miss. Lafai was consistent. Logical decision.
You're a logical decision

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
You just know he will be overhyped though mr i, even though I agree he shouldn't be until hes proven against adults. Just look at Mbye. What has he done to deserve the hype around him even before he played fg? Here we like to overhype players before they play fg and then flame the shit out of them if they aren't superstars after a month in fg

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Best way to describe Abbey, is that the raw talent is there. He does show some really nice skills (passing and running game), can break the line, and is a good reader of the game and creative with ball in hand.

Needs work in defence area, and whilst he has fumbled balls before, he has also taken some amazing catches at fullback.

Could be be a superstar? YES

But he shouldn't be overhyped until he can prove himself to be dominating NSW Cup.

All too often the media / people blow their nuts over some "next superstar", and they often fail to make the grade from NYC to NSW Cup and to first grade. It's a tale so often read/heard of before, and then people go "hey what happened to that Abbey bloke" ... "Oh he's playing park footy for Christchurch now".
Good summing up Mr I.

Hopefully our level headed experienced players like Graham, Tolman, The Mozzles and Perrett can keep his feet on the ground and his mind focused on football.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He still shits on perret and I can hack an 18/19 ur old making errors in fg whilst learning along the way. What I can't hack is a 32 yr old pensioner whom continually makes the same mistakes every game and is not part of our future plans. Abbey must play right wing imo. The rooters are going to throw latrell Mitchell into fg next year and he's only 18 also. I'm not overhyping the kid however not do I expect anything special first season in grade how I 100% believe he is the better option at right wing both next year and moving forward.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
He still shits on perret and I can hack an 18/19 ur old making errors in fg whilst learning along the way. What I can't hack is a 32 yr old pensioner whom continually makes the same mistakes every game and is not part of our future plans. Abbey must play right wing imo. The rooters are going to throw latrell Mitchell into fg next year and he's only 18 also. I'm not overhyping the kid however not do I expect anything special first season in grade how I 100% believe he is the better option at right wing both next year and moving forward.
I actually put abbey at fullback and move Morris to the wing

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
In his current form, putting Abbey on the right wing, would have TK posters calling for his sacking within the month. He is not first grade ready, simple as that.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
TK posters been calling for she rex and perret sackings for two years and nothing has changed mr i
i can't see how abbey is worse than perret all round for the team both this coming season and moving forward re experience

JAYDOG

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Abbey has a huge future.& can also kick goals.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hes likely to be a depth buy short term and being prepared for when the mozzes retire, which isnt that far into the future, which would put a big hole in our backline. Perrett is also in his last few years probably
By that time trex will be gone too which would give us enough money to buy David bechkam to kick our goals . I don't see the point of buying rookies for the future

chadiwrx

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
[video=youtube;AvNCwsZaSgU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvNCwsZaSgU&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.