A turning point worth mentioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve_mortimer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
For all of those who felt hard done by against Penrith I thought I would bring up a point from Friday nights game against the Tigers worth thinking about....

Just before half time Shifty Sherwin intercepts, races down field and sets up a try to send the Dogs from 18-0 to 24-0 at the main break. Early in the second half the Tigers hit back with two early tries for a 24-12 and game on. As it turns out the game ends up a blow out and Dogs fans are happy but one call I still can't get over is the try set up by Shifty.

Firstly Shifty should remain behind the last row of forwards untill the ball is out of the scrum. Secondly the Dogs forwards broke far too early and last of all the Dogs backs were inside the 5 from the scrum. 18-12 could be argued a better score than 24-12 and before you all go off saying it didn't matter I can tell you it would have mattered. The referee, video ref and BOTH touchies made very big mistakes in what I consider the turning point of the match. The try should never have been given.

Now I know this is all what ifs and could have beens but next time you feel the Dogs get a tough call from the match officials try to remember times like this when the bad call went YOUR way. :grinning:

Mistakes and errors by match officials as unfortunate as they seem at the time tend to even out for most sides over 26 rounds so make sure you think about this next time the Dogs cop a touch call.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
You MAY be right but since when do Halfbacks stay behind the last row of forwards? I have NEVER seen a H/B stay behind the last row of forwards and if you were to disallow the try for that then there would be an extra 5-6 penalties for EVERY game played in the NRL.

I also dont think the Dogs were inside the 5. The video referee would have spotted it and SOMEONE other than yourself would have picked it up. No offence intended, mate.

steve_mortimer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A couple of them were inside the 5 after watching replays. Why did they go to the video ref then? The forwards were never in the scrum and Shifty was offside. The thing I could not get over was that he was on the heels of Prince ie: up with the Tigers second row before the ball came out.

What I would like to know is what did Clarke ask the video referee? Halback onside? forwards breaking early?

The cruel thing about this is during pre-season from NRL through QLD Cup and all down through junior and second division ALL referees including those in the NRL were told they must clamp down on scrums and in particualr the half back retiring. What a joke.

The problem is whenever the refs go on a clamp down they get hounded by everyone and the NRL refuses to back them up so the clamp down becomes a joke that last 4 weeks or less ie: holding down in the tackle, sleeprs, scrum half backs retiring and as we will soon see, the grapple tackle.

the Coyote

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
steve_mortimer said:
Now I know this is all what ifs and could have beens but next time you feel the Dogs get a tough call from the match officials try to remember times like this when the bad call went YOUR way. :grinning:

Mistakes and errors by match officials as unfortunate as they seem at the time tend to even out for most sides over 26 rounds so make sure you think about this next time the Dogs cop a touch call.
Well thats one back then, we are still owed about a dozen still from
last year.....

The Coyote

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
the Coyote said:
Well thats one back then, we are still owed about a dozen still from
last year.....

The Coyote
The NRL still owes us 3 tackles from 2004.

Well make that 2 tackles seeing as we got an extra tackle last year V Parramatta.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
who cares

the scrums are pointless these days

they should eliminate them from the game as they have no purpose anymore
only in Union is a scrum worth something

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
This isnt Union rules, first of all rugby league scrums are a very sorry excuse for a scrum. As soon as a try is scored then we want to go back to the ancient rules of scrums, or union rules, never gonna happen, shifty read the play stuck out his hand came up with a good intercept.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
rugby league should make scrums go back to the way they were or get rid of them altogether

they're pointless and a waste of time,
the only thing they are good for which people will argue with me about is giving the players a rest and giving the hopeless refs a chance to keep upto speed with the game

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
keach said:
they're pointless and a waste of time,
the only thing they are good for which people will argue with me about is giving the players a rest and giving the hopeless refs a chance to keep upto speed with the game
What's to argue?

How many times have you seen a player kick the ball out to watse time?

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
K E said:
What's to argue?

How many times have you seen a player kick the ball out to watse time?

you've seen the 1980 premiership

how much better were scrum's back then compared to now?
the way they are packed now all the players may as well get in a circle for 15 seconds and hold hands until the ball is played back to the feeding player

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
keach said:
you've seen the 1980 premiership

how much better were scrum's back then compared to now?
the way they are packed now all the players may as well get in a circle for 15 seconds and hold hands until the ball is played back to the feeding player
The scrums were so hotly contested that they had stats showing how many scrums you have won!

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
thats right

that was the point of the scrum, it was good for the attacking player e.g Bretnall to kick the ball dead and you knew there was a 49%-50% chance that they would win the ball back

now when the ball goes dead the ref should just call a handover because you know who is going to end up with the ball

in all the years of scrums there has only been 1 major shocking incident that I know of

the Panthers John Farragher (1980)

but that **** called me a criminal for wearing my Bulldogs jumper to Panthers so I didnt have as much sympathy for him after that remark

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
keach said:
thats right

that was the point of the scrum, it was good for the attacking player e.g Bretnall to kick the ball dead and you knew there was a 49%-50% chance that they would win the ball back

now when the ball goes dead the ref should just call a handover because you know who is going to end up with the ball

in all the years of scrums there has only been 1 major shocking incident that I know of

the Panthers John Farragher (1980)

but that **** called me a criminal for wearing my Bulldogs jumper to Panthers so I didnt have as much sympathy for him after that remark
The guy in the wheelchair at the sign in counter at Panthers Leagues? Or am I WAY off the mark?

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
nope thats the guy, i feel sorry for him but he didnt need to make the comment which he did

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Why did he call you a crmimal for?

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
Ive been called a ****** on a train, coming back from Ultimo, i came to sit down and someone the train called out, "******", while i was wearing my jersey of course

i turned around a couple of people at the back looked up the stairs, so i let it go.

Rob Weaver

New Pup
Reaction score
Steve-O: I felt the need to comment on your remarks about John Farragher.

I've known John for many years and there is no way known he would deliberately insult anyone, particularly Canterbury, who were good to him after his career ending accident.

If John did say that, it would have been meant as a good natured barb, not an insult. Most rugby league fans indulge in baiting the opposition now and then.

John is known to most fans - Penrith and visitors - for his courteous and helpful attitude.

And Panthers is one club where you are entitled to wear your team jersey if you visit us on game day (unlike some other clubs where their own fans can't even get into the club in their colours!).

We've never had any real trouble with Bulldogs fans out here. You attract good crowds and play good footy.

But please Steve-O, lighten up.

Cheers, Rob Weaver, Media Manager, Panthers

Status
Not open for further replies.