News A Gus about nothing: Gould promised everything but Bulldogs going backwards under his watch

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
By Stuart Thomas / Expert
Roar

As much as it might hurt fans of the blue and white, the Bulldogs are no better than they were in 2022.

In fact, it could be argued rather convincingly that the performances of the team under new coach Cameron Ciraldo are as bad as they have been across the last four seasons.

During that period, the once perennially contending Bulldogs have finished no better than 12th, winning just three matches in 2020 and 2021, before managing seven wins last season.

A measly 14 points a game were averaged in the ‘for’ column in 2020, with that number matched the following season.

Despite plenty of hope and promises of something different, 16 points a game was the best the Bulldogs could muster in 2022 with an attack that many people were hoodwinked into believing could perform consistently without the presence of a stable and quality number seven.

Phil Gould has been on the Bulldog payroll for the past two seasons, along with many a handy recruit that had been brought into the fold after the extensive clean-out necessitated by the salary-cap atrocities of former coach Des Hasler between 2012 and 2017.

Canterbury fans are simply sick of hearing about that period. As close to a premiership as it brought the club, the aftermath has not been worth the tilt at the trophy. Fans of the Dragons might feel exactly the same way, with long-term supporters of both clubs more likely to enjoy consistent competitiveness than a flash in the pan playoff run or two followed up by years in the wilderness.

Gould’s arrival at the kennel for the third time in his career was intended to jettison the errors of the past and move the club into a brave new world of contention that the youngest Canterbury fans are yet to experience.

He was employed to right the ship, attracted the required players, oversee the football department and get the club on a steady and improving course.

Board minds appeared to be convinced that the media personality was the answer to those issues; with a premiership and State of Origin resume undoubtedly offering some validity to their view.

However, with his media opinions growing ever more controversial around issues such as head trauma and his penchant for rather paltry attempts at entertainment in the commentary box leading to little more than melodrama, the question as to whether Gould had slipped too far from clubland and its realities was a fair one.

A desperate club took a desperate swing on a man who divides like few others in the game and is far from as clever as some sections of the media choose to give him credit for.

No doubt it will all be part of a Gould plan (pick your year number) and the long-term vision will be the mantra he adopts, just as he did at Penrith. Yet all the Panthers needed to do better was retain the cream of the endless supply of youthful talent at their disposal, something the Dogs do not have the luxury of enjoying.

The 65-year-old general manager has somehow forged an infallible rugby league reputation, where his presence appears to demand attention, respect and consideration. He arrives with a mighty large shadow and few seem prepared to question his methods or decisions.

People at Canterbury should be doing so right now. Now matter the recruitment, coaching staff or ogres overseeing the entire operation, the team continues to tread water at best and arguably, regress.

Bulldogs fans deserve better and Gould is increasingly losing credibility as the man likely to bring that to them.

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Me personally I believe if the Bulldogs are paying Phil Gould around $1 million a year. He should be working with us and us only full time .
It’s like a double dip working with channel 9.
Do people honesty think our clean up is a part time job?
I feel in 2022 we showed signs at backend of season.
In 2023 we seem to be sinking and getting worse .
Our defence is two times worse than the second worst team.
Where is this defence coach?
No accountability we have become a joke of a club .
2024 another year no number 7?
And no forward punch at all.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Me personally I believe if the Bulldogs are paying Phil Gould around $1 million a year. He should be working with us and us only full time .
Gus’s profile and position in the game is the most important thing we have in our favour. Name me one person who would do a better job than Gus. I think people don’t realise how shit our list has been and the minimal amount of juniors coming through.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Please stop posting pathetic Roar articles..

This is the worst one of them yet.. As I said the other day, the cap went up massively which allowed most clubs to re-sign their key players. It also happened very late with no notice which meant clubs couldn't go on signing sprees. You can't sign star players when none are available. Anyone complaining about that is ignoring reality.

We did well to get Crichton as very few high quality players have changed clubs for 2024 for that reason. Anyone who doesn't acknowledge the good Gus has done like fixing our lower grades, signing guys like Preston, Kiraz and King for nothing and getting Kikau, Critta etc should wish that we get Raelene Castle and Noel Cleal back instead and see how that works..

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What a ridiculous thing to say. Gus is working hard for the club night and day. He's a known insomniac who works tirelessly. Just because he spends a few hours a week working for 9 doesn't mean he isn't fully dedicated to turning the club around. He's across all grades more than any other club CEO or GM is.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Doesn't change the fact that this is year one of the 'rebuild'. Every time we sack/hire a new coach it starts the whole cycle again.

Going on a signing spree isn't enough sometimes - see the Tigers, Bateman, Klemmer, Api & Papaalii still not enough.

You can't neglect the complete incompetence of previous management. What they did will take years to correct. Someone mentioned Manly's incompetence but at least they have got marquee players (DCE & Turbo) when fit, they win them games. Take them out we saw how crap they were against Parra.

Kikau & Burton are our only marquee players and one of them is on the sideline.

Add in to the mix Thompson & TPJ are getting overs. So our whole forward pack is cooked as a result of spending the cap wrong.

Jonboi

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Fuck me dead if they felt it was gonna take only 2 years then they would of signed him for only 2 years, they signed him for 5 years so to expect much before then is stupid I’m sorry but it’s on the unrealistic expectations of fans.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Please stop posting pathetic Roar articles..

This is the worst one of them yet.. As I said the other day, the cap went up massively which allowed most clubs to re-sign their key players. It also happened very late with no notice which meant clubs couldn't go on signing sprees. You can't sign star players when none are available. Anyone complaining about that is ignoring reality.

We did well to get Crichton as very few high quality players have changed clubs for 2024 for that reason. Anyone who doesn't acknowledge the good Gus has done like fixing our lower grades, signing guys like Preston, Kiraz and King for nothing and getting Kikau, Critta etc should wish that we get Raelene Castle and Noel Cleal back instead and see how that works..
100% bro. Gus has been fkn awesome for us - especially some of the junior signings. We are only a couple of players short of a solid team. Imagine the Andersons were still here fkn dribbling behind the wheel.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I agree (didn't read article).

CeeEss

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We've been smashed by injuries and we're in a bit of a hole at the moment but we appear to be on the right trajectory to find our way out. Our juniors are starting to fire and we'll reap the benefits of that in a few years time, we just have to be patient.

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can't sign star players when none are available. Anyone complaining about that is ignoring reality.
You can thank that fûckwit V'landys for this one. Rather than create a better product he, diluted the talent pool by adding an additional team to attract more betting dollars. I know where the real cancer in the game exists.

Fruitty Pebbles

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All I know is this , Gus is a man of self interest and always wants to be right and be looked at as some sort of prolific NRL master mind.

I’m not a massive fan of his BUT I do know this he would not have taken this job if he knew he would fail and risk his reputation.

Now I’m not saying all his decisions are perfect some are quite questionable but I truly believe he’s doing what is best for the club. Coz what’s best for club is best for Gus.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ditto not a fan of Gould . His commentary is him hedging his bets so he is always right .

but what was said was very true … if not Gus then who else ? That is the real question . As for pathways I think he is getting too much credit , Anderson began rebuilding it but he is just doing it at faster pace

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
All I know is this , Gus is a man of self interest and always wants to be right and be looked at as some sort of prolific NRL master mind.

I’m not a massive fan of his BUT I do know this he would not have taken this job if he knew he would fail and risk his reputation.

Now I’m not saying all his decisions are perfect some are quite questionable but I truly believe he’s doing what is best for the club. Coz what’s best for club is best for Gus.
Always back self interest: you know it's always trying.