A factual break down of our first ten minutes against the Storm

Status
Not open for further replies.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Agree. I was naturally disappointed we lost , but I saw some good things in our game too. Those good things were unfortunately blotted out by a poor first ten minutes and sabotaged somewhat by the abysmal conditions in the second half. The crowd actually got excited and cheered when Lichaa took a couple of quick scoots out of dummy half and ball movement through the hands was greater than I have seen for a while. It was not the same stale old play of last year for the most part and I am hoping that with time those passes will stick and the errors we are making whilst trying to play some decent footy will decrease. One thing I do think though is we are still off the pace judging by some of the quality of other games over the weekend. Still early days however and the comp is not won in week one.

We won the penalty count but should have done so by a much wider margin. Noyen was very slack in keeping the Storm back and most times they were around 8 metres rather than the regulation ten. This is why we were shut down often as their middle men forced us to go wide rather than forward and then throw it out to the centres/ wingers and into their defence out wide, especially on the Mozzles side of the field. Call outs for our guys in tackles was a lot quicker too and Melbourne's encroaching in the ruck area and hand on the ball was frustrating, but is not anything you don't see in most of their games. Unfortunately they seem to be able to do so with impunity probably because "Cam" Smith is one of the main offenders.

Moses needs to get involved more, of that you are spot on, I am waiting for him to show us the ability he apparently possesses.Yes he did get animated a few times when we closed up a bit and had no real go forward and I agree their too that it was out of frustration.
Kennar apparently exited our Intrust game and was in a moon boot. I only listened to that game on the radio and Mounties had the better of the early stages we managed to get to an 8-0 lead after a try to To'omaga and Montoya scored a good try running about 40 metres. Unfortunately we surrendered towards the end of the half going behind 10-8 after giving away dumb penalties. We tried but ended up losing 22-14.

I am not going to give up on our game next week. Roosters were good but faced a weakened Tits side who made a good effort in the second half and scored some nice points . If we can focus for the 80 and start better than we did against the Storm we will give a good account of ourselves.
Thanks for the Reserve update, was good. A shame about Kennar though, hoping its not too bad.
I really like Mbye, really think he has a solid part in the team. Just not sure whats going on. Whether its positional/confidence or issues we arent privy too.

That 10 minutes was very quick and Storm got all the calls.
That Jackson Penalty on Cronk pissed me off. Just compounding pressure which in the end we couldnt keep out.

But keeping this side scoreless for the rest of the game is a positive, unfortunatly we couldnt hit back after this.

A couple dropped balls, silly errors (wet weather doesnt help, no matter who you are) couldve easilly been a different story.

But yeah, bring on Round 2 and hope for a dry track. Roosters will be tough we all know that. But I wont be watvching the game hoping we lose to spite them, or to watch how good the Roosters are. Always support them when they run on the field. Haha

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Faitala Mariner interview on website basically sums up the work ons. Des addressed the start/lack of intent and told the players the Roosters always come out the blocks firing. I expect a different first ten minutes on Thursday

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Faitala Mariner interview on website basically sums up the work ons. Des addressed the start/lack of intent and told the players the Roosters always come out the blocks firing. I expect a different first ten minutes on Thursday
Tolman and Graham vs JWH and Napa???

They'll have the early field position until Kas comes on.

With Tolman and Graham, it's always going to be a matter of hanging on in those first few minutes vs everyone.

Even Newcastle have started running strong and hard.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Tolman and Graham vs JWH and Napa???

They'll have the early field position until Kas comes on.

With Tolman and Graham, it's always going to be a matter of hanging on in those first few minutes vs everyone.

Even Newcastle have started running strong and hard.
We need to fight fire with fire and have Kas and Fualolo starting maybe put Toomaga on bench too and brush 5 min Elliott

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We need to fight fire with fire and have Kas and Fualolo starting maybe put Toomaga on bench too and brush 5 min Elliott
Yeah dont see the point having someone on for a 5 minute stint. Will end up like L Perrett.
If we have a bench use the bastard.

Gabs

Dumbfounded
Reaction score
Agree. I was naturally disappointed we lost , but I saw some good things in our game too. Those good things were unfortunately blotted out by a poor first ten minutes and sabotaged somewhat by the abysmal conditions in the second half. The crowd actually got excited and cheered when Lichaa took a couple of quick scoots out of dummy half and ball movement through the hands was greater than I have seen for a while. It was not the same stale old play of last year for the most part and I am hoping that with time those passes will stick and the errors we are making whilst trying to play some decent footy will decrease. One thing I do think though is we are still off the pace judging by some of the quality of other games over the weekend. Still early days however and the comp is not won in week one.

We won the penalty count but should have done so by a much wider margin. Noyen was very slack in keeping the Storm back and most times they were around 8 metres rather than the regulation ten. This is why we were shut down often as their middle men forced us to go wide rather than forward and then throw it out to the centres/ wingers and into their defence out wide, especially on the Mozzles side of the field. Call outs for our guys in tackles was a lot quicker too and Melbourne's encroaching in the ruck area and hand on the ball was frustrating, but is not anything you don't see in most of their games. Unfortunately they seem to be able to do so with impunity probably because "Cam" Smith is one of the main offenders.

Moses needs to get involved more, of that you are spot on, I am waiting for him to show us the ability he apparently possesses.Yes he did get animated a few times when we closed up a bit and had no real go forward and I agree their too that it was out of frustration.
Kennar apparently exited our Intrust game and was in a moon boot. I only listened to that game on the radio and Mounties had the better of the early stages we managed to get to an 8-0 lead after a try to To'omaga and Montoya scored a good try running about 40 metres. Unfortunately we surrendered towards the end of the half going behind 10-8 after giving away dumb penalties. We tried but ended up losing 22-14.

I am not going to give up on our game next week. Roosters were good but faced a weakened Tits side who made a good effort in the second half and scored some nice points . If we can focus for the 80 and start better than we did against the Storm we will give a good account of ourselves.
I was at the Reggies game. Frankly there is not much there to be excited about. Marcelo and Remis Smith are a long way away from first grade - maybe Remis on the wing but not a centre. Was playing there and was murdered in defence.

Kennar came off injured after about 20 minutes. Doesn't look anything special, although, its harsh to judge him off 15-20 minutes. A relatively short centre/winger - won't please many.

Francis Tualua was good in the front row as was Andy Saunders. Rhys Martin is a decent second rower but not much else there. Garvey and Woolford on the field at the same time didn't really work.

Frawley didn't play. Cleeland looked good in patches and has a decent kicking game. Lachlan Lewis played 5/8. Has a long way to go.

Best player for the dogs was Abbey but he tried to do too much and ended up making a few mistakes (sounds familiar?). Made a few nice incisive runs and can ball play.

Penalties and ball control were very costly.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
How's Eastwoods stats from Friday-
4 hit up for 40m and 16 tackles.

That's very disappointing from a senior player. He did make a try saving tackle early in the game but apart from that he has given us nothing. He might not be getting much ball from Mbye but he's not looking for work.

Ambrose

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Kas doesn't dominate as much if he starts. He's our most devastating player. You don't want to mess with that. Just more minutes is the only thing I'd like to see changed.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I was at the Reggies game. Frankly there is not much there to be excited about. Marcelo and Remis Smith are a long way away from first grade - maybe Remis on the wing but not a centre. Was playing there and was murdered in defence.

Kennar came off injured after about 20 minutes. Doesn't look anything special, although, its harsh to judge him off 15-20 minutes. A relatively short centre/winger - won't please many.

Francis Tualua was good in the front row as was Andy Saunders. Rhys Martin is a decent second rower but not much else there. Garvey and Woolford on the field at the same time didn't really work.

Frawley didn't play. Cleeland looked good in patches and has a decent kicking game. Lachlan Lewis played 5/8. Has a long way to go.

Best player for the dogs was Abbey but he tried to do too much and ended up making a few mistakes (sounds familiar?). Made a few nice incisive runs and can ball play.

Penalties and ball control were very costly.
Thanks for that mate. Could only listen to Steele Sports and missed parts of the game because of their broadcasting problems which they apologized for a million times. Had to rely on the assumption of how the broadcast the game went. Hope they are just warming to the task; no pressure on the top grade does not make you feel comfortable when or if injuries/ suspensions/ rep games come around.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought the morris brothers looked a little shabby. Outplayed by their storm opposition. Brett looks wobbly.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
Well analysed! - It goes to show the attitude of the playing group seems off and consistently so. They are not playing instinctively - they are always trying to do what is right rather than playing what's in front of them and trusting in the process. We are to mechanised and it shows it. Des has not come to terms with the importance of balance but I believe he is making an effort to restore it. Whether he does and the team respond in time for this year is an adventure. Fingers cross we click into that balance next week against the chooks.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I thought it would be important to explain why people are so negative lately on these forums. The following analysis of the first ten minutes is also true of almost every single game we've played for the last three years.

We consistently play periods of games where the Chester Hill Under 6's would look more organised than us. Considering the 'quality' of our players (Origin and Test caps), it is honestly hard to believe we could be so inconsistent.

If anyone wants to offer the argument that "if we just fixed the first ten minutes then we would have won" - you are answering your own question. Des hasn't been able to get our team to play 80 minutes of consistent football for years, and I don't see this year being any different.

Kick offs: Holland kicked off three times in the first 8 minutes, each kick was abysmal and lead to the Storm gaining the momentum in each set of six. Each time the Storm took tackle one from in front of the 20m line.
Analysis: You can forgive a kicker for one bad kick off, but three in succession in the space of 8 minutes?

Game Management: After being smashed solidly for the first 10 minutes, we finally get our first attacking kick from 30m outside the Storm try line. Instead of giving the forwards a break and taking the easy grubber kick over the side line. Mbye keeps the ball in play and kicks it infield and Munster makes a break and they start their set 30m out and with all the momentum.
Analysis: Mbye who is on huge money to manage games, yet again makes a decision that ruins our momentum and makes our forwards defend the next set completely out of breath and energy. What is he being paid for if he can't make these decisions?

Winning the ruck: For the first 10 minutes straight, our centre defenders were absolutely dominated, out-enthused, out run etc. Lichaa misses a simple tackle on Josh Addo-Carr in our second defensive set and the Storm go on to score their first try. Graham misses at least one if not two tackles that directly lead to the Storm gaining momentum and running almost the length of the field in a single set of six.
Analysis: How does a team with access to possibly the largest football budget in the NRL, turn up to round 1 at their spiritual home ground and get out enthused by a team who has travelled from Melbourne to the suburbs of Sydney?

Back Three (f/back and 2x wingers): In the first ten minutes, our back three failed to deal with/catch three Storm kicks in the first ten minutes of the match. Twice this lead to try and the third time it would have lead to a try, if not for a Storm mistake. Considering our fullback and one winger are NSW Origin and Australian Test stars (ex), this is an absolute joke.
Analysis: If we consistently start our sets of six on the back foot we will not be anywhere near the top 8 this year.
The brain explosion of the game belonged to Mbye, whos meant to be the general.out there leading us around
Reynolds makes a long break off an intercept. Next play Mbye kicks cross firld for BMoz who is tackled. Given the retreating defence and the conditions that was a terrible play.

The Rorter$ dropped Hastings after some average games in 2016. Mbyes been at halfback for over a season

No grubbers in goal when we were parked on their.line in the 2nd half.

No kicks intouch when we are on the back foot in first half

Dumb Dumb Dumb play from our halves

Status
Not open for further replies.