2024/2025 coaching thread

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
With the strong squad Gould has put together there is a very good chance Ciraldo won’t be here by round 26 next year if he doesn’t perform. Early favourites would be Potter if Ciraldo gets sacked, there’s rumblings of Bennett in 2025 but that would require Gould to put aside his Ego

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...d/news-story/3838181b251943175f97954b878fe5c8 …. There’s no sugar-coating it, things haven’t gone to plan at the Bulldogs under Cameron Ciraldo, who arrived as a rookie coach to plenty of fanfare.

General manager Phil Gould’s appointment of Ciraldo ahead of the 2023 season was supposed to turn things around at Belmore, but instead they fell three spots on the ladder this year to finish 15th.

Canterbury, who haven’t played finals since 2016, went backwards in 2023 as their defence fell off a cliff. They went from allowing 23.9 points in 2022 to 32 per game in 2023.

The team that wins the premiership usually concedes less than half of that, typically around 15 points per game, with the Panthers allowing just 13 on average in 2023.

The Bulldogs also underperformed in attack, with stars Matt Burton, Josh Addo-Carr and Viliame Kikau all struggling to fire consistently.

Ciraldo now has another star recruit in Stephen Crichton and a similarly poor campaign in 2024, especially with those names at his disposal, will put the coach under immense pressure.

But for the club to seriously consider sacking Ciraldo for Bennett, they’d likely have to also march Gould whose rivalry with Bennett goes back decades.

The duo squared off as opposing coaches in several heated State of Origin series and Gould has also claimed Bennett reneged on a handshake deal to coach the Roosters in 2007.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I hope Ciraldo proves himself as a coach this year but for me the jury is still out on him..

Gus wants him to be the long term coach, but if we see anything resembling the poor defence and results of last year, then people will be calling for an experienced coach like Bennett..

Hopefully we start off strong otherwise it could be another messy and drama filled season with more questions than answers..

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I hope Ciraldo proves himself as a coach this year but for me the jury is still out on him..

Gus wants him to be the long term coach, but if we see anything resembling the poor defence and results of last year, then people will be calling for an experienced coach like Bennett..

Hopefully we start off strong otherwise it could be another messy and drama filled season with more questions than answers..
He has definitely put the pressure on himself with his double down with the utility plan stating it was on purpose. I found it strange he was banking on an injury crisis instead of trying to find a strike first team and dealing with injuries later. A bottom 2-3 position will see him lose his job imo. 10th somehow will save it

Old Man JB

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Some of these reporters can write some loopy shit. There is no chance Bennet will coach the dogs. If we had a side ready to win a GF but had no coach to guide us, then yes. A short two year deal, wham bam thankyou mam. But that is not where we are.
Like it or not we are in a rebuilding phase, we won't buy our way out of the bottom eight and we will slog through it with the structure we have in place now.
Don't stress, enjoy the ride.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Some of these reporters can write some loopy shit. There is no chance Bennet will coach the dogs. If we had a side ready to win a GF but had no coach to guide us, then yes. A short two year deal, wham bam thankyou mam. But that is not where we are.
Like it or not we are in a rebuilding phase, we won't buy our way out of the bottom eight and we will slog through it with the structure we have in place now.
Don't stress, enjoy the ride.
Regardless what’s the play if ciraldo isn’t there for 2025? Madge? Bennett?, another hyped up super league coach or who ever is assistant for the panthers now. I’m stressed and I can’t enjoy this ride. We have a chance to coach our way out of the mire when Ciraldo is gone

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Article holds no weight imo.
Bennett was going to be signed by Gould / Penrith before Ivan was brought back in order to keep Nathan.
So why would Gould have a problem with Bennett ? Just shit journos trying to heap on the pressure and link Bennett to a nothing story.

Last edited:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He has definitely put the pressure on himself with his double down with the utility plan stating it was on purpose. I found it strange he was banking on an injury crisis instead of trying to find a strike first team and dealing with injuries later. A bottom 2-3 position will see him lose his job imo. 10th somehow will save it
I actually like the Mann signing on a cheap deal. I've always thought he was a good all round squad player. I think he could come in handy during the season and fans will appreciate his desire and effort. I've always been a fan of Curran so I'm happy about that and think he will add some much needed starch and mongrel as well as skill..

No doubt the lack of props and forward depth is a huge issue. I'm sure we'll land some forwards on mid season moves again but it's hard to find amazing quality mid season.

Hopefully the rumour about Mooney is good. He could make a Preston like impact if we signed him. He looks like a good young player that just needs consistent minutes and opportunities.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Article holds no weight imo.
Bennett was going to be signed by Gould / Penrith before Ivan was brought back in order to keep Nathan.
So why would Gould have a problem with Bennett ? Just shit journos trying to heap on the pressure and link Bennett to a nothing story.
Yeah the only thing about that jab at Gould that makes any sense is that it is being done in a Fox publication. Info over the years is that Gould and Bennett have a healthy respect for each other.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great thread, throw him under the bus before even giving him 1 round in 2024.
Yup, usual over expectations on tk for inexperienced personnel. He’s been head coach for one season, a year earlier than Gould felt we were ready for (according to Gould anyway).

After the cow’s terrible 2021 season the media were doomsdaying Payton’s career, yet he soon shut them up. No idea if Ciro can do the same but hopefully the players buy in and give us the best chances of success

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yup, usual over expectations on tk for inexperienced personnel. He’s been head coach for one season, a year earlier than Gould felt we were ready for (according to Gould anyway).

After the cow’s terrible 2021 season the media were doomsdaying Payton’s career, yet he soon shut them up. No idea if Ciro can do the same but hopefully the players buy in and give us the best chances of success
The season hasn't even started yet and people are death riding the club, its like they want us to fail.

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The Foxsports article is very lazy, it notes Bennett off contract in 2025 and nominates 7 clubs who would be interested in him. Besides us it claims Sharks, Raiders, Buns, Cowboys, Manly, and Parra.

Nice big dartboard - every lazy journos best friend.

Yep shit read along with a shit thread, Oh look a coach is coming off contract heres some guys that might be under pressure its all dribble.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Didn’t Ivan Cleary have a shit first year before turning things around at the Panthers the following year.

My point is things can change, and for the sake of everyone I hope so.