14. Jackson Topine
15. Jack Hetherington
16. Ava Seamanufagai
17. Bailey Biondi-Odo

Hetherington to back row if RFM out. Patolo onto the bench

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mahoney won't happen, something would've happened by now if it was. I wouldn't rule out another signing though.
Gus is working on the long term as well as the immediate structure of the team,
He will not sign anyone that would jeopardize his plan and the salary cap.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Gus is working on the long term as well as the immediate structure of the team,
He will not sign anyone that would jeopardize his plan and the salary cap.
There is no salary cap problem for 2022, preliminary Cap compliance has already been completed.
There is no way there is a salary cap problem for 2023 with 9 players off contract and that's without any early releases.
There is absofarkinlutey no problem for 2024 where we have 25 spots open (24 if Burton exercises his PO, not that it will come to that).

Personally I just don't see any justification in lowering the quality of our team for 2022.

Always a Bulldog

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Perhaps we're front loading some contracts?
Even if it was allowed by the NRL it still lowers the quality of our team for 2022.
The 1.2 million dollar question...Would you pay that amount to 2 wingers ?
Remember, if Mahoney becomes available we want him here...It is possible !
Most of us believe that Cotric's game suffered because of the lack of proper distribution from the spine.
Therefore...A bird that can't fly is nothing more than an Emu an Ostrich a Kiwi or a Penguin not to name few more others :-)
The undeniable fact is we need a good year in 2022, us fans deserve it, the sponsors/advertisers have been promised it, substantial increases in the costs of sponsorships and advertising have been justified by it and Barrett's coaching career probably depends on it.

In regards to paying $1.2m for 2 wingers, which is guess anyway and not what's included in our Cap, who the fark cares if we don't have a better (for the team) player/s to spend any saving on. Weakening the team so that the spend looks more even across positions is farkin stupidity.

By the time we kick in some of Cotric's contract, which won't be peanuts, the savings versus team quality equation is not all that attractive.

Always a Bulldog

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There is no salary cap problem for 2022, preliminary Cap compliance has already been completed.
There is no way there is a salary cap problem for 2023 with 9 players off contract and that's without any early releases.
There is absofarkinlutey no problem for 2024 where we have 25 spots open (24 if Burton exercises his PO, not that it will come to that).

Personally I just don't see any justification in lowering the quality of our team for 2022.

Always a Bulldog
I would be absolutely filthy if Mahoney become available and we can't make it happen because we still have Cotric at 650k a season, makes no sense.
Hodgson is getting long in the tooth.
The chain reaction will start from Canberra if it is to happen. next couple of months are vital !!!
Parramatta would want him a year early.
There is more for us to gain if we get Mahoney this year, if this doesn't convince you nothing will.

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Is it Mahony or the spine that Cotric was shipped off for? Because I am not seeing either position having been upgraded for 2022. How does that saying go, "a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush". We had Cotric in hand and the other 2 are still missing in the bushes.

To add even more misery we are obviously carrying some of his freight, for this year almost certainly and maybe even next year.

Aside from JAC who is on the other wing, none is even close to Cotric.
Alomotti isn't remotely up to playing at NRL level every week.
Averillo on the wing, I seriously doubt it.
Katoa, may not play at all this season.
I see Allan as the back up fullback, not the automatic first choice winger like Cotric.
Out of Burns, Naden and Schoup 2 of them have to play centre.
Which leaves Okunbor, tell me that's not a downgrade on Cotric.

Always a Bulldog

Always a Bulldog
Mate it’s simple sports business, we couldve kept Cotric this year but there’s no guarantee the deal would’ve been there to release him in 2023. Tell me a side that has won a comp with two wingers chewing up 1.2 mil of cap. Stop arguing a case with no legs.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I would be absolutely filthy if Mahoney become available and we can't make it happen because we still have Cotric at 650k a season, makes no sense.
Hodgson is getting long in the tooth.
The chain reaction will start from Canberra if it is to happen. next couple of months are vital !!!
Parramatta would want him a year early.
There is more for us to gain if we get Mahoney this year, if this doesn't convince you nothing will.
Failed to convince me, I'm talking reality you are talking pipe dreams. What is the justification for Canbra to give up Hodgson early, they need him this year? What is the justification for Parramatta to give up Mahony, they absolutely did not want to lose him at all, so why take the pain a year early? Hodgson is certainly not an upgrade on Mahony so what is their justification? That he won't be as old and worn out as he will be in 2023?

Always a Bulldog

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Mate it’s simple sports business, we couldve kept Cotric this year but there’s no guarantee the deal would’ve been there to release him in 2023. Tell me a side that has won a comp with two wingers chewing up 1.2 mil of cap. Stop arguing a case with no legs.
Who cares if we couldn't offload Cotric next year, we will have 9 spots vacant, leaving plenty of room for Mahony and Kikau.

Always a Bulldog

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Who cares if we couldn't offload Cotric next year, we will have 9 spots vacant, leaving plenty of room for Mahony and Kikau.

Always a Bulldog
It’s possible contracts are back ended, we want some leverage to resign Dufty and Vaughan if they have big years and command more dollars and bar those two there’s no many of note off contract next year meaning the cap space wouldn’t be huge.

What I’m getting at is you and I know fuck all, so trust Gus!

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s possible contracts are back ended, we want some leverage to resign Dufty and Vaughan if they have big years and command more dollars and bar those two there’s no many of note off contract next year meaning the cap space wouldn’t be huge.
Contracts back ended by any meaningful amount are not allowed by the NRL.

Always a Bulldog

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Just read on NRL.com that The Cowboys are planning to play Valentine Holmes at left centre

In my coaching life, if I saw a player who I knew was a winger but now playing in the centre, you might as well put a Bulls eye on him and make him defend as much as possible. Targeting this type of player comes up trumps more often than not.

I remember a game at the old Parramatta Stadium where Andrew Farrar gave rookie centre Eric Grothe Snr an absolute bath.

Not many wingers have successfully transitioned from wing to centre in the modern era. JMOZ and Timana Tahu and very little else.

Our right centre and edge back rower for this game are key selections.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

What I’m getting at is you and I know fuck all, so trust Gus!
This is precisely what I've said months ago, I've also recently said we have 14320 members on TK.
All Gus wannabes :-)

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just read on NRL.com that The Cowboys are planning to play Valentine Holmes at left centre

In my coaching life, if I saw a player who I knew was a winger but now playing in the centre, you might as well put a Bulls eye on him and make him defend as much as possible. Targeting this type of player comes up trumps more often than not.
I remember a game at the old Parramatta Stadium where Andrew Farrar gave rookie centre Eric Grothe Snr an absolute bath.

Not many wingers have successfully transitioned from wing to centre in the modern era. JMOZ and Timana Tahu and very little else.

Our right centre and edge back rower for this game are key selections.
Defending in the centres...Potentially you are on your own.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You're never guna let go of Thompson on an edge aye?
Thats where we will get the best value. However, because of the lack of another credentialed prop,
he will probably be forced into the front row.

Stinger

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
After last years performances I'm confused as to why people are picking players like Flanagan, Allan and Waddell in their teams.
Because they were recruited by Barrett. If we are to nominate the predicted lineup then I can’t see Barrett leaving out Waddell or Marshall King. Waddell is a tbaz favourite he’ll be in there somewhere. As for Allen he’s got rep experience and will be pushing hard for selection over the newcomers. If Flanagan makes the team it will because Gus wants to give him another shot and because he’s been training very well.

halfcast

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Because they were recruited by Barrett. If we are to nominate the predicted lineup then I can’t see Barrett leaving out Waddell or Marshall King. Waddell is a tbaz favourite he’ll be in there somewhere. As for Allen he’s got rep experience and will be pushing hard for selection over the newcomers. If Flanagan makes the team it will because Gus wants to give him another shot and because he’s been training very well.
i dont have a problem giving flano another shot...for the trial lol

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
1. Matt Dufty
2. Josh Addo-Carr
3. Aaron Schoupp
4. Jake Averillo
5. Brent Naden
6. Matt Burton
7. Pass it to Burton
8. Luke Thompson
9. Jeremy Marshall-King
10. Paul Vaughan
11. Tevita Pangai-Junior
12. Raymond Faitala-Mariner
13. Josh Jackson

14. Jackson Topine
15. Jack Hetherington
16. Ava Seamanufagai
17. Bailey Biondi-Odo

Hetherington to back row if RFM out. Patolo onto the bench
“Pass it to Burton”:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:. best thing I’ve seen all day.