2018 Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm a sucker for dymick he was the reason I followed the bulldogs when I was a kid haha.
I still remember the day when I was 6 and i wanted his autograph when he stopped by the local newsagency in Lakemba.. nervous and star struck as shit. Absolute giant and never forget how bad his haircut was. I think he was going for the fresh prince look.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Need a coach who isnt after immediate short term success. Need someone who will come in. Identify our weaknesses. Recruit to our strengths. Invest heavily in our juniors and bring back what it means to be a bulldog. Bring back a lot of league legends to come in and be part of the rebuild. Talk to youngsters and players and tell them stories of old.

Im saying that i would say Dymock or Pay, but have someone like Anderson/folkes overseeing everything and help with transition and rebuilding that culture.
Mate, assuming there'll be a new coach next year, how long do you think they'll give him to change things around?
My guess is if i have to use this site to gauge the fans' sentiment, he will be on notice if he doesnt get the team to top 8 in his first year.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still remember the day when I was 6 and i wanted his autograph when he stopped by the local newsagency in Lakemba.. nervous and star struck as shit. Absolute giant and never forget how bad his haircut was. I think he was going for the fresh prince look.
Did you shake his hand? Thats the biggest hand ive ever seen. Lol

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dunno - just saying is it coincidental? I mean why bring in an assistant coach who has some credibility as I understand it, punt the head coach and then not promote the assistant? It seems as though its what the bunnies have done. Is that on the cards for us?
We're not the Bunnies, we don't have a CEO, our chairman had to get this right-Penna is not the answer.
M Hogan overseeing a smart rookie with some Bulldog connection- I'm liking Holbrook if possible

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mate, assuming there'll be a new coach next year, how long do you think they'll give him to change things around?
My guess is if i have to use this site to gauge the fans' sentiment, he will be on notice if he doesnt get the team to top 8 in his first year.
I'd give him to the end of 2019 or 2020, mainly due to some major player contracts ending next year. It'd give him time to see how he would build the team and where he would take them.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
We're not the Bunnies, we don't have a CEO, our chairman had to get this right-Penna is not the answer.
M Hogan overseeing a smart rookie with some Bulldog connection- I'm liking Holbrook if possible
So who recruited Penna, given the Board took all of Des' recruitment authority away from him last year and then proceeded to get rid of all his previous staff and replace them with Penna? I'm not saying he's the one they want but I think it is fair to ask why was he recruited if he wasn't believed to be a future FG coach. I seem to recall at the time he was held in pretty high regard by some people - me, I don't know much about him. why would we think Holbrook is a better bet than Georgalis or Pay for example? I'll worry about all this if and when the announcement about Des comes. Until then we are just looking for something to amuse ourselves until pre-season training starts.

Chew Rabbit

Waterboy
Reaction score
From an outsider looking in I'd like to see Dymock get a start,after just seeing what has happened at South's I think just because you're the assistant doesn't mean things will be the same,after all the assistant is most likely under the head coaches instructions.I see alot of similarities between both clubs I'm excited about our change in direction I hope all dogs fans get the similar outcome

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Dean Pay has head coach, Des Hasler as assistant coach. Each year we don't win a grand final Des has to pay the club $1 million dollars.

Payback time.

M4cca

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Completely agree. For me pay is a bit of a risk. Ok he has coached well at junior level but he is a fresh face at NRL Level. He could be the next brad Arthur and come in, shake things up and attract a new brand and new players to the club. Or he could be a Nathan brown. You don't know.

I'll agree that dymock deserves his shot. He took us with a win from a finals series in 2011, he started the preseason in 2012 which was our best year under Hasler. 12 was supposed to be his season and he was robbed. But the only thing is if he was to take over he should have done so last month. Give him a shot and let him input his ideas and structures while our season was over. See if anything would change then make a decision on him. Or better yet we should have sacked Hasler after round 10 instead of re-signing him before round 3 and given dymock 16 rounds as interim.

And all the people that say jimmy is just as bad a Hasler and he is institutionalised. Ennis looked like a pensioner in his final few years in the blue and white. But changed clubs and won a premiership. So we can safely say micks form was representative of haslers structure and game plan. I have no reason to doubt why dymock can't still have a successful career post Hasler. At the end of the day Kearney was under Bellamy and Bennett and is a flop of a coach.

Hasler was dymocks "boss". How often would you shit on your boss and do your own thing? Maybe he was just following orders?

One thing about jimmy is he was always involved with NSW origin in one form or another and was always touted as a first grade coach. Panthers almost appointed him but they wanted an establish coach before they got Cleary.

I think if we go for an inexperienced coach it should be dymock. It would be a slap in the face if we get pay and dymock is his assistant.
Don't see why people would rate pay that much higher than dymock. I'd be happy with either but canberra aren't playing finals footy either and apart from last year hadn't been involved for a while. I think pay was at the eels with stuart at one stage as well

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I still remember that. The perfect square head shape :D

images (1).jpg

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Don't see why people would rate pay that much higher than dymock. I'd be happy with either but canberra aren't playing finals footy either and apart from last year hadn't been involved for a while. I think pay was at the eels with stuart at one stage as well
Exactly. That's the kennel for you. Last month they wanted lichaa dropped and today they want him re-signed for life :p

But I agree with what you said. More or less both are an unknown entity (fair enough dymock had half a dozen wins in the nrl as caretaker). You can't say pay had more "runs" on the board so to say. If dymock underperformed under Hasler then the same thing should be said about pay (wasn't he the defensive coach? And didn't the raiders cop about 500 points this season?).

Anyways either way they can't be worse then Hasler who only got 1 top 4 in 6 years and was the highest paid coach in the nrl.

The only thing for dymock is he deserves a shot (he even deserved to finish the year as caretaker to show what he has got). He had a long apprenticeship under Moore and Hasler. He should have been head coach in 12 but we shafted him. He stuck around another 6 years.

The guy has been involved with the coaching team at city and nsw origin he is the coach of tonga. He was seen as a revolutionary new coach coming through and is well supported in the league by players, media and fans. And most importantly in his short stint in the nrl he dropped under performers something it took Hasler 4 years to do with trex.

I'll be happy with either pay or dymock. But my vote will be jimmy. Even though he sounds funny when he speaks :p

M4cca

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly. That's the kennel for you. Last month they wanted lichaa dropped and today they want him re-signed for life :p

But I agree with what you said. More or less both are an unknown entity (fair enough dymock had half a dozen wins in the nrl as caretaker). You can't say pay had more "runs" on the board so to say. If dymock underperformed under Hasler then the same thing should be said about pay (wasn't he the defensive coach? And didn't the raiders cop about 500 points this season?).

Anyways either way they can't be worse then Hasler who only got 1 top 4 in 6 years and was the highest paid coach in the nrl.

The only thing for dymock is he deserves a shot (he even deserved to finish the year as caretaker to show what he has got). He had a long apprenticeship under Moore and Hasler. He should have been head coach in 12 but we shafted him. He stuck around another 6 years.

The guy has been involved with the coaching team at city and nsw origin he is the coach of tonga. He was seen as a revolutionary new coach coming through and is well supported in the league by players, media and fans. And most importantly in his short stint in the nrl he dropped under performers something it took Hasler 4 years to do with trex.

I'll be happy with either pay or dymock. But my vote will be jimmy. Even though he sounds funny when he speaks :p
You'd have to think dymock would leave if we recruit pay. It'd be a massive slap in the face considering pay is no more qualified than him for the role. Theres no logical reason it wouldn't go to dymock unless the club somewhat blame dymock for the team underperforming in which case shouldn't his job be in danger as well?

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I have news today from a very reliable source that Des wont be coach in 2018

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You'd have to think dymock would leave if we recruit pay. It'd be a massive slap in the face considering pay is no more qualified than him for the role. Theres no logical reason it wouldn't go to dymock unless the club somewhat blame dymock for the team underperforming in which case shouldn't his job be in danger as well?
Exactly. Doubt he will stick around. Only thing I can think of with pay is if he can do an Arthur and snag a few ex players to bring across with him. Cotric and sezar wouldn't be a bad start if he could :p lol.

But the way the club is run wouldn't be surprised if we appoint a dud.

My top 3 would be Holbrook, Dymock and Pay.

Worst case scenario we end up with sheens, Taylor or Brian smith :p lol. And with our current board that will look more likely :tearsofjoy:

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Kinda agree with you
But on the other hand, I fear Dymock has spent to much time under Des,

I think we need a fresh start

I feel for Jim

But I think Pay coming in would be better option from the outside looking in.

Sorry for Jim
But it's how I see it,
Lucky for Jim, it counts for nothing what I think

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dymock has stuck with the club for a while, I think it's time he got a decent shot at it.

He's the only one that's had the balls to put his hand up thus far

RichoDog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Dymock has hung out with Des for 5 years if he didn't like the system he would have left to better himself - I don't see why he would be the answer - when you have a shit boss if you have any pride you back yourself and you move on !

Status
Not open for further replies.