News ‘You’ve been wrong that many times’: Gus’ wild TV clash with reporter over Tino pub claims

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Making a play for Tino in the media but finalising Haas lol

That's the games I'd play with the media. We should use the media's stupidity and scuminess to our advantage.
And I think that’s the game Gus plays to be fair…master of deflection and diversion - I wouldn’t be surprised if we were to land Haas for 25.

If it were to be, Haas and anyone of Tino, Fifita, Fotuaika or Paseka makes us a regular finals team for the next decade.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
And I think that’s the game Gus plays to be fair…master of deflection and diversion - I wouldn’t be surprised if we were to land Haas for 25.

If it were to be, Haas and anyone of Tino, Fifita, Fotuaika or Paseka makes us a regular finals team for the next decade.
They can keep D Fifita as a consolation prize. Only come good this year at Titans :grinning:

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Is this any different to Mark Bouris helping Chooks players to buy real estate as an investment and helping them secure the finance?

Always a Bulldog
the difference, we are Bulldogs and they Rorters

Dapper Dog

Deitz-ciple
Reaction score
You have to identify exactly what it is that Gould denies. He denies having ever spoken to Tino or his management. Go back to the article quoting Laundy and you see that all he talks about is his idea for luring players to the Dogs using the investment opportunity. That article makes the claim that Tino was a target for this scheme, but there is no indication of this from what Laundy is quoted as saying. They do quote Tino's manager who says that "clubs have reached out to me about Tino".

So this is Gus' 2 + 2 = 5.

2 = Laundy is serious about his scheme, and wants to be able to use it to help the Dogs attract some top players. This is TRUE
2 = Tino was upset when Holbrook was punted, and is considering his options. This is TRUE
5 = The Dogs have put together a $4m offer including the pub deal and offered it to Tino. This is FALSE
You're on the money. The initial Laundy article sets up a completely fabricated narrative using 'cleverly' repurposed quotes.

I've guessed at some Buzz questions that could make this all fit in the same order the quotes are presented in the article (read it in Buzz' voice for extra immersion):

Buzz: Arthur, why are the bulldogs taking so long in their rebuild?

“It’s harder for clubs lower on the table like Canterbury and the Wests Tigers in recruitment,” he said.

“Some players will take less to try to win a competition at the stronger teams.

“That’s what we’re up against and that’s why I’m helping out.

Buzz: But with that being said, and the salary cap preventing your club from blowing out other team's offers, how is your club going to sign big name players over clubs like the Roosters or the Melbourne Storm?

“We’ve got to lure them in with a deal that no-one else can do.”

Buzz: Arthur, you've talked about wanting to mentor players help make them make them financially secure for their longer term futures. Is my understanding correct that you've had players from AFL, rugby union, golf, and many other sporting codes, invest in your Hotels and pubs?

“You don’t want young players wasting their money on flash cars,” Laundy said.

“Their lives are back to front. Instead of doing a course and making good money in five years, footballers earn big money from the start.

“But what do they do with it? Some of them are so young.”

Buzz: Are you then financially responsible for these players' futures, and would you take the bullet if these investments went pear-shaped?

The billionaire hotel tycoon even says he can guarantee a 10 to 12 per cent annual return for players wanting to invest in his pubs.

And he’s even offering a money-back guarantee.

“If something was to go wrong, I’ve got enough money to guarantee them their money back,” he said.

“If they want out at the end to get married, to buy a house, I’ll buy them out.

Buzz: Well, nice talking to you Arthur, you're a good man. I definitely won't take any of this out of context and attempt to destabilise the dogs, whom you seem passionate about helping rebuild.

“I’m very determined to make this work and help out Canterbury.”

Last edited:

Dapper Dog

Deitz-ciple
Reaction score
Corroborating facts from both Gus and Buzz' accounts:
- Craig Laundy asked Abdo about the legality of players investing in Laundy pubs and hotels. Abdo didn't object, but deferred to the salary cap auditor. Note that Buzz refers to Craig as 'the Laundy family' to make it seem like this is came from Arthur, and took place recently/within the same conversation.
- Laundy has players from other sporting codes invested in his pubs and hotels. Note that Buzz is 'clever' here in mentioning the guarantee for 'players' wanting to invest in his pubs. It doesn't mention 'NRL players' or 'Bulldogs players', and Gus confirmed no one at the club is already invested in them.

So Buzz knows that the Laundy's are open to having players invest in their pubs similar to what Storm had approved, he knows that Arthur cares about mentoring and helping players and so talked to him and managed to get him talking about whether he would step in if the investments didn't work out, which Arthur gave to him. Then he has presumed we are interested in Tino, and has fabricated the existence of an offer, got plenty of web traffic and clicks, got the narrative for the week, and has already continued profiting from it by fabricating follow-up articles that the NRL are blocking the deal (although they cannot block something that doesn't exist yet - and would have every right to block such a deal based on the way Buzz used Arthur's quotes), and now after forcing Gould's hand to respond, will continue to profit off of 'the buzz' he has artificially created, particularly from the anti-Gus crowd.

Gould didn't deny interest in Tino, and didn't deny plans to meet with him after origin and to try and sign him for next year. What this could do is make it harder for us to sign Tino, and would make such a signing controversial, and forever under the spotlight of circumventing the salary cap.
Fuck Buzz.

mandingo

Waterboy
Reaction score
Battle of the bullshit artists here can't believe a thing that comes out of either of their mouths, I'd say Buzz is right though the story has leaked and hus is in damage control

mandingo

Waterboy
Reaction score
I also find it highly unlikely they haven't already done this for players,

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
You're on the money. The initial Laundy article is sets up a completely fabricated narrative using 'cleverly' repurposed quotes.

I've guessed at some Buzz questions that could make this all fit in the same order the quotes are presented in the article (read it in Buzz' voice for extra immersion):

Buzz: Arthur, why are the bulldogs taking so long in their rebuild?

“It’s harder for clubs lower on the table like Canterbury and the Wests Tigers in recruitment,” he said.

“Some players will take less to try to win a competition at the stronger teams.

“That’s what we’re up against and that’s why I’m helping out.

Buzz: But with that being said, and the salary cap preventing your club from blowing out other team's offers, how is your club going to sign big name players over clubs like the Roosters or the Melbourne Storm?

“We’ve got to lure them in with a deal that no-one else can do.”

Buzz: Arthur, you've talked about wanting to mentor players help make them make them financially secure for their longer term futures. Is my understanding correct that you've had players from AFL, rugby union, golf, and many other sporting codes, invest in your Hotels and pubs?

“You don’t want young players wasting their money on flash cars,” Laundy said.

“Their lives are back to front. Instead of doing a course and making good money in five years, footballers earn big money from the start.

“But what do they do with it? Some of them are so young.”

Buzz: Are you then financially responsible for these players' futures, and would you take the bullet if these investments went pear-shaped?

The billionaire hotel tycoon even says he can guarantee a 10 to 12 per cent annual return for players wanting to invest in his pubs.

And he’s even offering a money-back guarantee.

“If something was to go wrong, I’ve got enough money to guarantee them their money back,” he said.

“If they want out at the end to get married, to buy a house, I’ll buy them out.

Buzz: Well, nice talking to you Arthur, you're a good man. I definitely won't take any of this out of context and attempt to destabilise the dogs, whom you seem passionate about helping rebuild.

“I’m very determined to make this work and help out Canterbury.”
Probably about the truth of it.

A conniving douchebag on so many occasions reporting on Gus, rugby league and the players.

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bulldogs general manager Phil Gould has blown up in a furious exchange with a journalist over the club’s messy attempt to sign Titans superstar Tino Fa’asuamaleaui.

The pair were discussing Canterbury’s bid to sign Fa’asuamaleaui on a $4 million contract and a share of Laundy Hotels, which is a major sponsor of the club.

According to the Daily Telegraph who broke the story, Arthur Laundy said he would guarantee a 10 to 12 per cent annual return for players who invested in his business.

Gould: “Didn’t I just answer that. It’s made up. It’s made up. Someone has just made it up.”

Chammas: “To destabilise the Bulldogs?”

Gould: “100 per cent, 100 per cent. You do it yourself. You do it to me to destabilise me all the time. You’ve done it 100 times. You’ve been wrong that many times it’s not funny.”

Chammas: “What have I done?”

Gould: “Come on young whippersnapper. Plenty of times. Do you want me to list them for you. Plenty of times, plenty of times.”

Chammas: “Tell me.”

Gus: “I couldn’t be bothered, you’re not worth it. You’re not worth it.”

After the NRL blocked the deal, Gould denied the story despite Laundy being quoted saying his business had been in talks with the club.

“I’ve never spoken to Tino, I’ve never met Tino,” Gould said.

“I wouldn’t know who managed Tino. It’s never been discussed within our club.

“This article has come out of left field and someone has added two and two together and come up with five to try to destabilise our club.

“It’s been a common theme throughout this season and ever since I joined the club. It’s a continuing childish thing that they do.

“That’s life in the rugby league world.”

Rothfield then fired back at Gould’s claims on Twitter, doubling down on his story.View attachment 76167

Watch interview below

Laundry need to shut his mouth sick of this guy beating his own drum he thinks he owns the club

Can we get KIA back

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Laundry need to shut his mouth sick of this guy beating his own drum he thinks he owns the club

Can we get KIA back
That is an embarrassing take! Laundy did nothing wrong at all, how do you let the media manipulate you into telling one of our best sponsors in ages to shut their mouth? As if they shouldn't have an opinion, having a backer like Laundy is a huge plus for Bulldog going forward.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Did laundy say they were going to the cap auditor s to see if the could do such a deal?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Did laundy say they were going to the cap auditor s to see if the could do such a deal?
So many facts not told. Only Buzz' bs and angling for a story.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Gus better come up with someone, to put egg on Buzzard's face lol
Buzz has that many people in rugby league offside with him it’s not funny. Peter sterling hasn’t talked to buzz since the 80s. Bryan smith since the 90s. Buzz us the lowest of the low. That he holds any sort of power in the game is horrible.

You can’t find his age anywhere. But he first covered league in 1978. He can’t have long to go given what a big drinker he was.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Same crap, different day. There is no accountability for the nonsense Buzz writes about our club. It was terrible pre-Gus joining, and has been 100x worse since he has joined.

Here's a snapshot of The Daily Telecrap, just searching our club:
  • We were linked to May, that hasn't happened, club has denied it.
  • We were supposedly moving Kyle onto Manly, club denied it, it hasn't happened.
  • Linked to Haas, Tino. Both can't be acted upon until November 1, Gus has denied the reports. He does speak very highly of Haas, though.
  • Swipes at Hasler, a non-existent beef with Newcastle about 1 player going to Bali during the Bye round.
The less DT Gossip being shared on social media and this forum, the better.

View attachment 76204View attachment 76205View attachment 76206

View attachment 76202
View attachment 76203

View attachment 76200
The gronk is absolutely obsessed with us but at the same time he is smart enough to know it generates clicks & interest.

mandingo

Waterboy
Reaction score
Buzz is a fkn degenerate drunk with an agenda against Gus and the club. Fck him and his entire existence clown ****
After listening to him tonight on 360 it's clear Buzz has actually got one over Gus here we could be in trouble here and it's obvious we have already done this to get players

lovemachine

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah thanks Chief.
The word you were looking for is ‘sued’.
And it’s not ‘libel’. Gus neither put anything in writing nor defamed Rothfield. He simply denied the story. Might be best to leave the legal commentary aside :-).
Please remember I’m at uni.

he didn’t just deny it, he said he made it up.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
After listening to him tonight on 360 it's clear Buzz has actually got one over Gus here we could be in trouble here and it's obvious we have already done this to get players
obviously it hasn’t worked. Lol. Nothing to worry about, they asked abdow, he said sure but clear it with the auditor

lovemachine

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People here are very biased to the club so don’t see that buzz just might be right