News ‘Super sub’: Cameron Ciraldo explains why Connor Tracey won the fullback spot and how he plans on unleashing Blake Taaffe

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Cameron Ciraldo may have finally found his ideal back five, but a young star lurking on the bench could be his most dangerous weapon going forward.

Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo has backed Blake Taaffe to come off the bench as Canterbury’s “super sub” against the Knights, with Connor Tracey set to remain in the No.1 jersey following a strong performance against the Storm.
The fullback jersey belonged to Taaffe in the opening five rounds, but he missed the trip to Melbourne after he was concussed in the win over the Roosters when he was on the receiving end of an ugly high tackle by Dom Young that resulted in him being sent off.
Taaffe returns this weekend off the bench for the game against Newcastle, with his coach expecting big things from the versatile recruit who can fill a number of positions if someone gets injured or can come on in the middle and prey on exhausted forwards.

“It’s a nice insurance policy to have Blake on the bench as a backup if we do lose one of our outside backs, which has happened a number of times this year,” Ciraldo said.

“In the modern game with HIAs, it’s probably important that you have someone like that.

“I still think he can create something in the last part of the game. He can get on and play that super sub sort of role anywhere, and he’s open to that.

“If you’re a tired defensive line, you wouldn’t want to see Blake Taaffe coming off the bench fresh on the field.”

Canterbury’s back five has chopped and changed this season, but Ciraldo may have found his best combination with Tracey safe under the high ball, Josh Addo-Carr’s speed a nightmare for opponents, Jacob Kiraz making metres for fun, and his centres able to create something out of nothing.

But it was Tracey’s performance in Melbourne that caught Ciraldo’s eye, with the former Shark handling everything the Storm’s representative halves kicked his way.

“Every time the ball went up, he just looked comfortable under the high ball,” he said.

“He brings the ball back with plenty of purpose and gets our sets started.

“Blake was doing a good job at the start of the year, but Connor deserves to be in that position this week and moving forward.

“The good thing is that it’s nice for a coach to have headaches like that and selection dilemmas.”

Tracey may have been named on the wing last week, but he knew in advance where he’d be playing at AAMI Park, with fullback nothing new to a man who started plenty of games there last year, including in the finals.

“I played there all last year, so I’m pretty comfortable there,” he said.

“I like wing as well, and I like playing wherever the team needs me.

“It’s no secret that I have a running game, so I’m one of those workrate fullbacks and I’m just working on the other parts of my game as well.

“I like getting involved and helping the team, play off quick play the balls and pop up everywhere.”
Admit it CC...
Lately you've been getting your selections tips from TK :laughing:

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Taaffe can only play fullback. I can't see him handling wing or centre.. Despite everyone calling for him in the halves, I don't think he could handle the defensive responsibility in FG. Playing there in juniors and playing there in the NRL are two very different things.

So if there is a backline injury, expect everyone else to reshuffle and Taaffe to go to fullback.
I get what your saying but Hutch's defence is a myth.

I still think this game would be perfect for Taffee having a run.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I feel a bit sorry for Taaffe. He was playing good attacking football for us. He made some pretty nice impact on sweep plays. But for what it's worth I also think Wilson is very unlucky to be backup.

I'd be a bit cautious about having Taaffe and Hayward on the bench together.
Myself i think wilson is better, just maybe not as versatile.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't understand the complaints on here. We have lost a back to injury most games this year so it makes sense to actually have cover and not move Salmon.
I think CC was smart in trialing how we would go with a smaller pack last week with Turpin at lock. When Mann & King return Taafe could be a nice trump card to play against tired middles

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My prediction is CC is easing Taffe into the no. 7 - you heard it hear first folks lol
If that’s the case Sexton doesn’t seem like he will be re signed next year

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I honestly don’t know why we have to play musical chairs around the team for Taaffe. He’s not good lol

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Very worrying that it took Taaffe getting injured for Ciraldo to realise Tracey is the better fullback

Pavdogg82

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Surely this team can make the 8.
1. Tracey
2. Foxx
3. Xerri
4. Critta
5. Kiraz
6. Burto
7. Taafe
8. King
9. Reed
10. Hughes
11. Kiks
12. Presto
13. Curran
14. Hayward
15. Mann
16. Morrin
17. Farmer or Fifita
18th man - Sexy
If only we can get a consistent line up like this over the next 12 weeks. Strengthen combinations and make a finals run. Then make an even deeper run next year. Let's go boys!!!!

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pure kennel gold suggesting Taafe at halfback. Never played an NRL game there (or very few).

Can he even defend in the front line ??

Does he have a kicking game apart from one off the shin on Good Friday ?

Go back and watch the highlights from last year when Rajab got his ass handed to him as a spot defender.

No use setting up 2 tries if you concede 4

Pavdogg82

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Pure kennel gold suggesting Taafe at halfback. Never played an NRL game there (or very few).

Go back and watch the highlights from last year when Rajab got his ass handed to him as a spot defender.

Mate, if not Taafe then Sexy. Hutcho is not a great defender and both those 2 guys will offer fuckloads more in attack. Hutcho is so slow that his whole side panic because they are a man short. I would either a crack because I know what i'm gonna get with Hutcho and it's not enough to win tight games atm.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

Hutch only concedes. Has he set any up? Legit question I can't remember him setting one up

Big_Kahunas

Waterboy
Reaction score
Mate, if not Taafe then Sexy. Hutcho is not a great defender and both those 2 guys will offer fuckloads more in attack. Hutcho is so slow that his whole side panic because they are a man short. I would either a crack because I know what i'm gonna get with Hutcho and it's not enough to win tight games atm.
Spot on. The half we put in just needs to know how to use our weapon of mass destruction - Kikau. Give him time and space and get him one on one with the opposition centre and then our outside backs just need to stand in line for line breaks galore.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Kudos to Ciro for sticking with Tracey

this super sub experiment better work better than starting Turpin at lock