‘Small ball’ and a rugby league revolution: Are the Bulldogs back?

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I have read some comments somewhere saying that he is a smaller type of forward but when I watched him in Cup didn't seem to lose much in height to opposition players. Anyone know what his height and weight is?
Yeah he looks to have a decent frame to me he will fill out more as he matures

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We were close to beating the Storm who are topping the ladder. If we started a bit better this year we'd be top 4 IMO.

But what has really encouraged me is seeing our backup players excel when during an injury crisis. Thought having King, Preston and Mann out would hurt a lot. But it hasn't slowed us down much.

So as much as a big name monster prop would be nice, we haven't needed that to be keeping the bigger packs contained.
We are fortunate now that our replacements are now of a similar quality to the players they are replacing.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Definitely better than previous years. and would like to think we keep at it a don’t shift from the 8, and we are very capable of a place in the finals. On the back of our new attitude and structures with a new coach brining a fresh approach.. let’s just say things could be looking a lot worse. We are in a good spot now!!

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Recruiting smaller utility forwards for mobility is one thing, but making it happen on the field is another. Ciraldo had to design a game plan around those players, but the buy-in from the players is the key. It's a genuine transformation with quality recruitment, coaching and player effort all coming together at once. Add in cup and junior results, plus junior recruitment and pathways and things are really on the up. Druissi and Gus as well.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They were the Bradbury Premiers, they won because everyone else got injured lol
Spot on. I remember our entire forward pack was injured at various times in the first half of that season and when they returned our backline got injured. It was a spooky mirror of our defending premiership side in 81.

KLil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hopoi looks good and might be ready for a taste this year, the others are too young.. Marshall seems to have stalled a bit as he never gets picked in Cup and is in his second (or possibly 3rd) season in Flegg.. That's a slight concern, is he too small? Ive watched Poasa the last 2 weeks and he is too good for reserve grade, hes that other big body we need in the middle in NRL..
Hopoi, Toddy and Hayes will probably all get runs latter this year. Hopoi is actually younger than Hayes and Todd.

Marshall is still young.. He has been playing up like Hopoi most of his junior career. Marshall might look a little small but punches above his weight and is actually playing as a prop in JF... He has future lock written all over him and maybe even Captain.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have been playing “small ball” for the last 10 years but it was more a general description of the physical attributes of our players. Now we are playing “big Balls’ with smaller players. lol
But seriously the mobility of our pack on both sides of the ball and the fact we can sustain it for Eighty minutes has revolutionised our team quicker than I thought possible.
There’s a few on here been playing with their small balls…

KLil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
@KLil - Why do you think we'll struggle to keep him?
It all depends which position he ends up playing but more than likely it will be on an edge.

By the time Alatini comes around we'll have Hayes and Presto playing as our edgerowers and pretty much lockingdown their spots. Then you have Critta whom at 27ish might also push his way into the backrow.

We'll also have plenty of other forwards to lock down... If Hughes and Curran keep going they'll get an extension. Underhill/Todd/Hopoi/Seve/Marshall are going to be your pack through the middle... Thats already too many.

I just dont see where Alatini fits into the team unless someone drops out and i dont see anyone dropping out unless he becomes a backline player.

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Burton puts in couple early kicks for the fox this should stretch the panthers defence the rest of the game and hopefully give us bit more room to attack to make up for the halfback issues we have

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It all depends which position he ends up playing but more than likely it will be on an edge.

By the time Alatini comes around we'll have Hayes and Presto playing as our edgerowers and pretty much lockingdown their spots. Then you have Critta whom at 27ish might also push his way into the backrow.

We'll also have plenty of other forwards to lock down... If Hughes and Curran keep going they'll get an extension. Underhill/Todd/Hopoi/Seve/Marshall are going to be your pack through the middle... Thats already too many.

I just dont see where Alatini fits into the team unless someone drops out and i dont see anyone dropping out unless he becomes a backline player.
No chance Crittabecomes a backrower. No more shrooms for you!

KLil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You seem to have our future planned out for the next 10 years. :tearsofjoy:
Not mine... the clubs plan.

Not really brain science if u watch all grades, attend sessions, chat to staff, family and friends as well as fellow supporters who follow the younger grades.

It's funny because u don't understand that the older you get the more u enjoy the theatre of a build and watching kids come through more than NRL itself... you'll get there one day I guess.

Last edited:

KLil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
No chance Crittabecomes a backrower. No more shrooms for you!
Why not? U heard of a bloke called Luke Lewis?

Started off winning a comp as a skinny winger and finished his career as a cracking SOO and Clive churchhill winning edge running backrower?

Critta is very much that build and considering he is only 23 the kid has plenty of growth and will slow down considerably, maybe to slow for a center. Hopefully not as it would be better for the team if he can still play center comfortably..

Anybody who watch Andrew Farrar could probably give us a better outlook as he was also a big center.... captain as well from memory.

Last edited: