‘He’s A Good Person’: V’landys Says Booing Would Stop If Fans Knew Mitchell

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
From the SMH...

The Canterbury fans who booed Latrell Mitchell would think twice about doing it again if they were aware of the tireless work he does to help Indigenous kids.

That was the simple message from ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys, who on Wednesday will board a flight to Moree with Mitchell, Cody Walker and NSW Premier Chris Minns – a Bulldogs supporter – to help run an Indigenous program.

Moree, in north-western NSW, is experiencing a surge in youth crime.

Mitchell was booed by some Sydney Roosters supporters the previous week – which was expected given he played for them before joining their arch-rivals – but the heckling he received on Good Friday from Bulldogs fans at Accor Stadium, especially in the first half, evoked memories of the ugly scenes that followed him at different stages in 2022.

The NRL will be keeping an eye on the situation.

Mitchell met NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo this month to address the South Sydney star’s expletive-laden post-match interview with Triple M and his public commentary on Spencer Leniu’s racial slur in Las Vegas, but the game’s boss also listened to concerns about how he was portrayed and treated in public.

V’landys has got to know Mitchell and said he was often misunderstood by rival fans.

“I’m heading to Moree with Latrell and Cody for a program run by the NRL and NSW Police, which is aimed at helping Indigenous kids and helping them stay on the right track, and away from a life of crime,” V’landys said.

“Latrell and Cody are the faces of this program. Some of that booing on Friday would have been sheer tribalism from Bulldogs fans, and they directed it at the opposition’s highest-profile player.

"He makes mistakes – we all do – but if only people realised what a good person Latrell is, they wouldn’t boo him.”

NSW Police Assistant Commissioner Gavin Wood told this masthead this month how Mitchell and Walker were working behind the scenes to combat rising crime among youths in regional areas, and did so “without any fanfare”.

There was a touching moment in the Bulldogs game when Mitchell stayed down and showed concern for good friend Josh Addo-Carr, who was knocked out in a collision between the two on the stroke of half-time. Mitchell was later charged by the match review committee with dangerous contact, but could escape with a fine. Addo-Carr and Mitchell embraced after full-time.

Jack Wighton scored two tries to help Souths notch their first win of the year, but would not be drawn on the booing of his good mate Mitchell. He did, however, admire the way he comforted “The Foxx”.

“I’ve got a lot of love for him and will always have his back, but Trell can talk on Trell,” Wighton said.

“That’s all love [when he stayed with Addo-Carr]. We’re all brothers, and the thing about rugby league, and what I’ve always loved, is that we were fierce and competitive on the field, but the second that whistle is gone, we are all brothers.”

On a brighter note, Souths are finally in the winners circle, which was a boost for the club and coach Jason Demetriou.

Wighton said the intense interest in his new club had come as a shock after spending his career in Canberra. He was also delighted for Demetriou, saying: “I feel for him. I’ve only been here recently, but he’s a great bloke and a great coach.

“What he’s copping, he doesn’t deserve. To get the win for ourselves and for him, it’s huge.

"Canberra's got a lot of beautiful history, but Souths is the oldest club in the NRL, it is based in the middle of Sydney – in the middle of the biggest rugby league support [group] in Australia, where we’re based – so that comes with the territory, that type of pressure to perform.”

Alex Johnston injured his hamstring and is expected to miss next Saturday’s clash with the Warriors, with Izaac Thompson or Jacob Gagai in line for a call-up.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
More proof that Latrell is a protected species. Of course any racist abuse from fans shouldn't be tolerated.. But when are V'landys and the media going to realise that Latrell and Walker get booed because of their reckless play and cheap shots on the field, not because they're Indigenous? Maybe a small percentage of people have racist motivations but most fans boo because they don't like what he gets away with on the field with reckless high tackles and cheap shots..

You don't see fans booing Hynes, Addo-Carr and other Indigenous and Pacific Island players.. Maybe if the NRL finally suspended Latrell for his cheap shots on the field and he got that crap out of his game then he wouldn't be getting booed?

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
From the SMH...

The Canterbury fans who booed Latrell Mitchell would think twice about doing it again if they were aware of the tireless work he does to help Indigenous kids.

That was the simple message from ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys, who on Wednesday will board a flight to Moree with Mitchell, Cody Walker and NSW Premier Chris Minns – a Bulldogs supporter – to help run an Indigenous program.

Mitchell was booed by some Sydney Roosters supporters the previous week – which was expected given he played for them before joining their arch-rivals – but the heckling he received on Good Friday from Bulldogs fans at Accor Stadium, especially in the first half, evoked memories of the ugly scenes that followed him at different stages in 2022.

Mitchell met NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo this month to address the South Sydney star’s expletive-laden post-match interview with Triple M and his public commentary on Spencer Leniu’s racial slur in Las Vegas, but the game’s boss also listened to concerns about how he was portrayed and treated in public.

V’landys has got to know Mitchell and said he was often misunderstood by rival fans.

“I’m heading to Moree with Latrell and Cody for a program run by the NRL and NSW Police, which is aimed at helping Indigenous kids and helping them stay on the right track, and away from a life of crime,” V’landys said.

“Latrell and Cody are the faces of this program. Some of that booing on Friday would have been sheer tribalism from Bulldogs fans, and they directed it at the opposition’s highest-profile player.

"He makes mistakes – we all do – but if only people realised what a good person Latrell is, they wouldn’t boo him.”

NSW Police Assistant Commissioner Gavin Wood told this masthead this month how Mitchell and Walker were working behind the scenes to combat rising crime among youths in regional areas, and did so “without any fanfare”.

There was a touching moment in the Bulldogs game when Mitchell stayed down and showed concern for good friend Josh Addo-Carr, who was knocked out in a collision between the two on the stroke of half-time. Mitchell was later charged by the match review committee with dangerous contact, but could escape with a fine. Addo-Carr and Mitchell embraced after full-time.

Jack Wighton scored two tries to help Souths notch their first win of the year, but would not be drawn on the booing of his good mate Mitchell. He did, however, admire the way he comforted “The Foxx”.

“I’ve got a lot of love for him and will always have his back, but Trell can talk on Trell,” Wighton said.

“That’s all love [when he stayed with Addo-Carr]. We’re all brothers, and the thing about rugby league, and what I’ve always loved, is that we were fierce and competitive on the field, but the second that whistle is gone, we are all brothers.”

On a brighter note, Souths are finally in the winners circle, which was a boost for the club and coach Jason Demetriou.

Wighton said the intense interest in his new club had come as a shock after spending his career in Canberra. He was also delighted for Demetriou, saying: “I feel for him. I’ve only been here recently, but he’s a great bloke and a great coach.

“What he’s copping, he doesn’t deserve. To get the win for ourselves and for him, it’s huge.

"Canberra's got a lot of beautiful history, but Souths is the oldest club in the NRL, it is based in the middle of Sydney – in the middle of the biggest rugby league support [group] in Australia, where we’re based – so that comes with the territory, that type of pressure to perform.”

Alex Johnston injured his hamstring and is expected to miss next Saturday’s clash with the Warriors, with Izaac Thompson or Jacob Gagai in line for a call-up.
There was a touching moment in the Bulldogs game when Mitchell stayed down and showed concern for good friend Josh Addo-Carr....LMAO

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
There was a touching moment in the Bulldogs game when Mitchell stayed down and showed concern for good friend Josh Addo-Carr....LMAO

Right after he needlessly and recklessly knocked Fox out when he was already clearly going into touch. The spin the media put on for certain players is hilarious.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Wally Lewis was booed his whole career every time he played a club game in NSW. Cam Smith was booed constantly. Mick Ennis.. Adrian Morley.. James Graham used to get booed by opposition fans. We booed Klemmer.. Josh Reynolds would get booed.. They're all white boys. I don't remember the NRL CEO stepping in and saying it's not fair to boo those players..

Maybe it's more about fans not liking players who do reckless and dangerous things on the field constantly? Booing is a part of sport.

Again, if anything racist is said then those fans should be banned as that is disgraceful. But 99% of fans are booing because of the player and their actions, not because or the colour of their skin.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with booing a player. Try to get them off there game. Sit this one out Vlandys, Mitchell must of complained to him or some shit. Also why he mention our fans, it’s the chooks fans that really give it to him

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He's a thug on the field, takes cheap and dirty shots, goes missing for long periods in the game, and relies way too much on his natural gifts. Cut that stuff out of his game and maybe I'll look at him differently. I don't care what his skin colour is, he is judged by the spirit in which he plays the game. Give me players who bust a gut every day of the week.

The NRL is culpable because they've let him get away with it. When SBW (loads of natural talent but also an awesome trainer) was a young fellow and started shoulder charging blokes, they banned the shoulder charge. Injuries happen in RL, but ideally they are incidental. SBW was going to injure blokes, so they changed the rules. How many players has LM injured in his career so far with his cheap and dirty shots? Other than the Manu suspension none of them have been sanctioned.

GoTeamRaRaFunky

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

he learnt after the manu shot that the public will think better of him if he pretends to care...

and it was a touching moment because it occurred well in touch, and not on the field.

foREVerA7X

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Latrell is quickly following the same trajectory as Chris Sandow.

Too focused on his brothers rather than Footy. He needs to learn to put Footy first whilst he is playing, then use his statue and influence post Footy to push his agendas.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's a thug on the field, takes cheap and dirty shots, goes missing for long periods in the game, and relies way too much on his natural gifts. Cut that stuff out of his game and maybe I'll look at him differently. I don't care what his skin colour is, he is judged by the spirit in which he plays the game. Give me players who bust a gut every day of the week.

The NRL is culpable because they've let him get away with it. When SBW (loads of natural talent but also an awesome trainer) was a young fellow and started shoulder charging blokes, they banned the shoulder charge. Injuries happen in RL, but ideally they are incidental. SBW was going to injure blokes, so they changed the rules. How many players has LM injured in his career so far with his cheap and dirty shots? Other than the Manu suspension none of them have been sanctioned.
I can think of three this year alone ... Saab in Vegas which was missed/ covered up, Tedesco, the wide angle shot clearly showed him look at Teddy before kneeing him in the head... to know one's surprise that angle was only shown ONCE. Fox on Friday when the fat prick once again looked before unloading. He went straight for Fox's head with his hip.

Three in four games.... not a bad effort.

Then the fat prick feigns concern .... what a great role model.

Anyone else see him give Tracey a facial after his first try ??? ..... The fat prick can't help himself.

Have to admit i was pissed at Fox for posing for photos with him after the game.

Latrell is a dirty cheap shot merchant who really tries to hurt people ....A real fucking PUSSY in my view .... rarely takes a tough hit up despite him being better equipped to do so than virtually anyone else in the game.

V' landys sticking up for him is par for the course from the inept NRL .... no doubt under instruction from the woke mob.

Was at a function last night and two things were universally acknowledged ..... the fat prick is really disliked, i would go as far as loathed by some, and the refereeing/ bunker is at an all-time low.

Robbothedestroyer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fekk off vlandys how about apologising for how you have fekked the game instead of jerking off over Mitchell. Just another example of how soft the game has become under his stewardship.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
From the SMH...

The way i read that is . . . Don't boo the koala because sometimes he isn't a fuckwit and a grub

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
More proof that Latrell is a protected species. Of course any racist abuse from fans shouldn't be tolerated.. But when are V'landys and the media going to realise that Latrell and Walker get booed because of their reckless play and cheap shots on the field, not because they're Indigenous? Maybe a small percentage of people have racist motivations but most fans boo because they don't like what he gets away with on the field with reckless high tackles and cheap shots..

You don't see fans booing Hynes, Addo-Carr and other Indigenous and Pacific Island players.. Maybe if the NRL finally suspended Latrell for his cheap shots on the field and he got that crap out of his game then he wouldn't be getting booed?
Why was Mitchell only given a fine penalty for the Fox incident when he already has form with the Manu incident?