Official Gus on Twitter

Jonboi

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
What Jimmy said about the bunker panel is exactly what I have been saying for a long time. It’s an absolute no brainer. It would fix 99% of the bunker discussions overnight.

He said 3 independent officials. I think 5 is a better number.

These should all be full time officials. Their job is in the bunker. The same panel do every game. Every week. This would keep all rulings consistent with the same people making judgments.

You still have your head bunker official for communication. However the decision is made by all 5 panel members. Sitting independently from each other. Without communication between themselves.

This would basically eradicate the howler from the bunker.

It would also isolate those making howlers. Under review you can see who is a repeat offender and who is good. Without effecting the result. The repeat offenders lose their job.
What happens when the first game is in Sydney and the next in qld, you would need multiple panels, which I’m ok with but like most things it’s dollars and cents

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
There used to be an ex player in the same bunker as a ref a few years ago, it slowed down the decisions whilst they debated and in the end they often didn't agree, which means the refs decision carried. Jammer's concept of 3, not in the same room, removes the time delay (no debate) and the simple 2 out of 3 carries the decision. An ex player (not from the teams playing) and an ex coach (also not from the teams playing) plus a current ref seems like a decent place to start. It would definitely remove some of the howlers we have seen recently.

Always a Bulldog

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What happens when the first game is in Sydney and the next in qld, you would need multiple panels, which I’m ok with but like most things it’s dollars and cents
The Bunker even now sits in the bowels at NRL HQ.

They aren’t at any ground even now

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Gus said on his podcast that a young kid from Tamworth is making his debut for the club in a couple of weeks. I'm assuming that's Jack Todd
I was thinking it must be him too. Do we have any other country boys in Cup? But you are right. He is a stand out in that grade too. Maybe comes on the bench for a Hayward or Morris etc?

SunnycoastDog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yeah it would be him. He went to Farrer High School in Tamworth
Love seeing young Bushy’s in the team. They’re as hard as nails and very rarely need their ego’s stroked to get a reaction. Same area as Tonguey….holy hell that kid could hittttt!!

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
What Jimmy said about the bunker panel is exactly what I have been saying for a long time. It’s an absolute no brainer. It would fix 99% of the bunker discussions overnight.

He said 3 independent officials. I think 5 is a better number.

These should all be full time officials. Their job is in the bunker. The same panel do every game. Every week. This would keep all rulings consistent with the same people making judgments.

You still have your head bunker official for communication. However the decision is made by all 5 panel members. Sitting independently from each other. Without communication between themselves.

This would basically eradicate the howler from the bunker.

It would also isolate those making howlers. Under review you can see who is a repeat offender and who is good. Without effecting the result. The repeat offenders lose their job.
I'm not so sure I agree here on this.
The old saying, too many cooks spoil the broth.
I'm OK with 1 person in the bunker.
They just need to be better.
Having 3 people in there will just slow things down whilst they debate every decision and I bet they will still make mistakes.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Why arnt the referees taught that they have to stay out of the play area. Contact would not happen then.