Official Gus on Twitter

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
Everyone is just hanging out because even though our roster is improving dramatically we still don't have the props we need to compete with the best teams. Signing just one elite prop such as D. Saf dramatically changes our prospects for the 24 season.

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
Everyone is just hanging out because even though our roster is improving dramatically we still don't have the props we need to compete with the best teams. Signing just one elite prop such as D. Saf dramatically changes our prospects for the 24 season.
100% I agree we are one solid prop away from top 8 contention now, pending hoe much our coach can get out of this squad

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The flegg team and even HM had players brought in by the Gould program from outside the local area including interstate - Marshall, Oloapu, Glover Moyle, Montgomery. Others such as Clark and Todd are outside local areas but signed prior to Gould. IMHO the best thing about both HM and Flegg was the improvement across the season, particularly HM. Something worked
Gus's Idea of bringing kids up a grade during the season to help their development helped massively.
Where as everyone was whinging about it you could see the improvement and confidence in them when they went back to grade.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
True. Its an absolutely wild claim to say Gus fingerprints are all over this yrs Flegg success
Sooo
Josh Papalii
Jack Todd
Jordy Mazzone
Eli Clark
Karl Oloapu
Joseph O'Neill
Lipoi Hopoi
Harry Hayes
Zac Montgomery
All these players were all in the Jersey Flegg grand final team and all of these players were going up a grade to Nsw cup/Nrl to better their development which was Gus's idea like the other lower grades did the same.

Now to say that this had nothing to do with the success of the Harold Matts and Jersey Flegg teams this year is utter bullshit!

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Sooo
Josh Papalii
Jack Todd
Jordy Mazzone
Eli Clark
Karl Oloapu
Joseph O'Neill
Lipoi Hopoi
Harry Hayes
Zac Montgomery
All these players were all in the Jersey Flegg grand final team and all of these players were going up a grade to Nsw cup/Nrl to better their development which was Gus's idea like the other lower grades did the same.

Now to say that this had nothing to do with the success of the Harold Matts and Jersey Flegg teams this year is utter bullshit!
Wait a troll talking utter bullshit!? I don’t believe you?

chemdog

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Harder than you think it is. Caps gone up, alot of clubs have been afforded more space when we had strategically had cash flow.

Recruitment is somewhat irrelevant when the market is dead for such players... Probably why Gus had apparently agitated for Hunt and more recently possibly Saifiti.
plus having the dolphins joining this season made it harder to sign players

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could be BS but I read a report on FB that Gus has been seen in Newcastle and that he was there to talk to one or both the Saifiti brothers. Problem was neither were there as they're both overseas on holidays so that suggests to me the story is either BS or he was there for talks with someone else.

Saifiti brothers are good bench players but they're definitely not the answer to our forward problems. Far more negatives than positives with them IMO.

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sooo
Josh Papalii
Jack Todd
Jordy Mazzone
Eli Clark
Karl Oloapu
Joseph O'Neill
Lipoi Hopoi
Harry Hayes
Zac Montgomery

First name on ur list Joash papalii was here before Gus arrived lol absolute fact. Not a good start from u. Credibility zero

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly right.
Anyone who knows anything, knows Gus is doing a great job setting us up for future success.

When you look back over the years, we won nrl comps on the back of previously winning lower grades comps where the cream of the crop went on to star for us at nrl level.

Everyone has an opinion and is free to express it.
My advice to the kids on the kennel.
Stop judging Gus on what is happening shirt term in nrl.
Judge Gus on what he is doing with juniors and what filters into nrl in a few years time.

I am finally happy we are heading in the right direction.

Stay positive people, good times will come our way, and I look forward to enjoying that success with you all.
The best way to look at things is to split Gus's two roles.

If you consider Gus1 being the one in charge of juniors and pathways -hes done a great job and the fruits of this will be seen in first grade (with us or other clubs) in afew years time.

If you look at Gus2 however (the one in charge of recruitment/retention/team management) you could argue that while he has been active.... It's been a disappointment.

So if you average things out, Gus' performance has been - average really.

Together with the coach (his appointment) they'll need to improve the first grade results and position quickly because as much Gus1 has done a great job, most people will judge him on Gus2 -especially fans.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
First name on ur list Joash papalii was here before Gus arrived lol absolute fact. Not a good start from u. Credibility zero
I dont care if he was here before Gus thats not what im talking about.
Im talking about the development that Gus is implementing into the kids by giving them experience by going up a grade.
FACT!!

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont care if he was here before Gus thats not what im talking about.
Im talking about the development that Gus is implementing into the kids by giving them experience by going up a grade.
FACT!!
Clutching at straws champ. Joash great in Matts 21, Flegg player of the yr 22 but u wanna say its all the work of Gus. Gus Gus Gus. He really has done a number on u. Try free thinking for a change

Robdog111

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Clutching at straws champ. Joash great in Matts 21, Flegg player of the yr 22 but u wanna say its all the work of Gus. Gus Gus Gus. He really has done a number on u. Try free thinking for a change
Talk about jealousy. What did Gus bang your Missus Buzz?

There are two stark differences between 04 Dreaming (akka Buzz/Shark Shagger):
1. Gus knows trillions more about NRL than you.
2. Gus is a nice guy and 04 Dreaming is a total flog.

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
plus having the dolphins joining this season made it harder to sign players
Who did they sign that the Bulldogs tried to chase?

Only two clubs went after Flegler. We were going after Leinu. When Roosters missed out on Flegler they got Leinu.

They had 4 Bulldogs rejects in 2023 team JMK, Lemuelu, Lee & Ese'ese and got another Bulldogs reject for 2024 Averillo.

Bulldogs got 5 marquee signings for 2022 to 2024.

chemdog

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Who did they sign that the Bulldogs tried to chase?

Only two clubs went after Flegler. We were going after Leinu. When Roosters missed out on Flegler they got Leinu.

They had 4 Bulldogs rejects in 2023 team JMK, Lemuelu, Lee & Ese'ese and got another Bulldogs reject for 2024 Averillo.

Bulldogs got 5 marquee signings for 2022 to 2024.
that's not my point....
my point being is that having another team joining the comp makes it harder for other teams to use there cap when theres slim pickings to choose from

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
that's not my point....
my point being is that having another team joining the comp makes it harder for other teams to use there cap when theres slim pickings to choose from
Just re-sign players and promote from within. A novel idea I know but generally works well. Add them with the 5 marquees and a half decent coach it works better don't you think? We pver looked a premiership coach and a dual Bulldogs premiership player for the current one.