Soccer The Manchester United SUPER Thread

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Good signing.

Not the most exciting player but he has proven success domestically and in the champions league at only 24.

Main thing he will bring to the team is his ability to keep the ball ticking over, he loves collecting the ball from the defenders and starting off the build up play which was our weakest area last year.

Now we need a goalkeeper and striker. The Onana deal looks like it’ll happen.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Good signing.

Not the most exciting player but he has proven success domestically and in the champions league at only 24.

Main thing he will bring to the team is his ability to keep the ball ticking over, he loves collecting the ball from the defenders and starting off the build up play which was our weakest area last year.

Now we need a goalkeeper and striker. The Onana deal looks like it’ll happen.
I just don't know.

Are we talking about challenging for top 4 or the title? Are we talking about getting into the quarters or winning the CL?

Personally I'd say United need a few more than that to truly be challenging on all fronts.

Another CB, midfielder and wide player on top of that you've listed. At a minimum.

Just don't think you've got the cattle if injuries come up, which they will

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I just don't know.

Are we talking about challenging for top 4 or the title? Are we talking about getting into the quarters or winning the CL?

Personally I'd say United need a few more than that to truly be challenging on all fronts.

Another CB, midfielder and wide player on top of that you've listed. At a minimum.

Onana
Dalot-Martinez-Varane-Shaw
Casemiro
Mount-Bruno
Antony-Rashford-Sancho

Seems likely to be the starting 11 so far but I’m prettt confident we will get a striker and push Sancho out of the team.

The starting 11 is strong enough to contend for a title, like you said, the depth really isn’t there but typically the teams that have luck with injuries will go on to win it anyway, so you need to hope for the best in that regard.

We had a great season defensively except 4 games when we just shipped a boatload of goals, like in the Liverpool game. Our biggest issue was goals, especially once Eriksen went out, we had to rely on Bruno to create all our chances. Hopefully with Mount and a new striker will let us convert some of those draws into wins.

chemdog

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Onana
Casemiro
Mount-Bruno
Antony-Rashford-Sancho

Seems likely to be the starting 11 so far but I’m prettt confident we will get a striker and push Sancho out of the team.

The starting 11 is strong enough to contend for a title, like you said, the depth really isn’t there but typically the teams that have luck with injuries will go on to win it anyway, so you need to hope for the best in that regard.

We had a great season defensively except 4 games when we just shipped a boatload of goals, like in the Liverpool game. Our biggest issue was goals, especially once Eriksen went out, we had to rely on Bruno to create all our chances. Hopefully with Mount and a new striker will let us convert some of those draws into wins.
use still need more depth once injuries hit

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Onana
Casemiro
Mount-Bruno
Antony-Rashford-Sancho

I don't agree that this starting 11 is strong enough to challenge for the title.

Antony and Sancho shouldn't be starting. Yes, you said a striker would push rashford put wide and one of those on the bench but you still need someone to replace Anthony on the other side.

I'm also unsure on that midfield tbh.

As you said tho, the depth is the real issue tho when you had a few injuries at the backend of the season you still did ok. No where near title challenging form, but you didn't fall off the cliff like I expected.

Will be really interesting seeing how United go this season

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
I just don't know.

Forget about winning the PL or CL. The team clearly isn't close to that.

Aim should be for top 4 again and potentially qtr final in CL.

The sale debacle is going to hurt Utd. Until it's sorted its going to be tough. Esp if we don't sell to the arabs

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Forget about winning the PL or CL. The team clearly isn't close to that.

Aim should be for top 4 again and potentially qtr final in CL.

The sale debacle is going to hurt Utd. Until it's sorted its going to be tough. Esp if we don't sell to the arabs
Surely that's what you should be aiming for though?

Liverpool wasn't anywhere good enough to win the title or win the CL but I fully expect us to be in the race for both this year.

Why not United when you finished above us?

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
Surely that's what you should be aiming for though?

Liverpool wasn't anywhere good enough to win the title or win the CL but I fully expect us to be in the race for both this year.

Why not United when you finished above us?
I personally don't think liverpool have to squad to win the PL. I dont think anyone can beat City unless they slip up tbh

CL is different breed though. I think Liverpool has a squad to challenge for it

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I personally don't think liverpool have to squad to win the PL. I dont think anyone can beat City unless they slip up tbh

CL is different breed though. I think Liverpool has a squad to challenge for it
I think across the board teams are catching up. Chelsea will be better. Spurs also. United will be improved. Liverpool much better. Newcastle.

City are losing key players. Will be interesting see how they replace them.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Not the most glamorous signing but one that could be vital in our side. We desperately need a midfielder who can connect our midfield. Our strongest run of form last year was when Eirksen hit his stride in our team and played as the “glue guy”. We were not only scoring more but we were holding onto the ball and building up from deep. Once Eriksen got injured long term we started to struggle with our build up play whilst also just continuously losing the ball in the midfield (90% of the time it was a Fred or McTominay misplaced pass).

Mount gives us an engine in the middle and he is a tidy player.

In terms of midfield we definitely need one more through the door, and preferably a defensive minded player.

Bruno
Mount
Casemiro

Eriksen
Fred
McTominay
Van de Beek

chemdog

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think across the board teams are catching up. Chelsea will be better. Spurs also. United will be improved. Liverpool much better. Newcastle.

City are losing key players. Will be interesting see how they replace them.
no mention of arsenal i see how it is

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Mount is an ok pick up. He can play, but as long as you have Maguire on your roster you won’t be winning anything Regardless if he is playing or not. The guy is a bona fide loser dud

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Mount is an ok pick up. He can play, but as long as you have Maguire on your roster you won’t be winning anything Regardless if he is playing or not. The guy is a bona fide loser dud
He is our 4th choice center back, Lindelof was preferred to him last year. I would say he is leaving, especially with the Euros on next year, he will want games before that.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He is our 4th choice center back, Lindelof was preferred to him last year. I would say he is leaving, especially with the Euros on next year, he will want games before that.
Just got a pay rise considering you're in the CL. Won't be going anywhere.

Personally think Mount will do wonders for your team

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
A lot is happening on the goalkeeping front for us.

Onana for 50m is a steal. Easily one of the best keepers in Europe, in his prime and cheaper than other keepers of his caliber because Inter are desperate for money.

Extremely confident on the ball, he split the City attackers on multiple occasions during the UCL final.