Best centres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fully Sik Drop kick

Abra Kebabra
Reaction score
Definitley Nigel vagana was our best followed closely by Willie Talua & Darren Smith.

Ben Harris was a gun centre also and couldnt believe we lost him after the 2004 GF .
He was of the Jamie Lyon mould and very integral member of our 2004 squad.

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've watched
Bernie lowther
Peter Winchester
Louie Mortimer
Andrew farrer
Jarrod mccracken
Willie talua
Darren Smith
Nigel vagana
Tony currie
The best centre I ever saw play was Andrew Farrar and still remember him running the length of the field against the tigers in a semi to get us through, I think it was an intercept, they were the days.

Malla

Reaction score
Loved the way McCracken played - he was tough.

Willie Tonga in 2004 was probably the best I've seen from a centre for us tho. Don't think he had a bad game all year and he towled up plenty of rep centre's along the way.

Reactions: DT

dogsballs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
2004 Willie Tonga was amazing, footwork, speed and power! I can't remember what his defence was like? I remember Nigel Vagana being great for us also. Josh Morris is not far behind up to about 2012 probably had the best defence out of those guys. I didn't watch enough football or wasn't old enough to take notice before 2002, I only really watched finals and state of origin before then.

M4cca

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before jmoz's knee injury he was crazy good

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my time for a combo Chris Mortimer and Andrew Farrer were the top of my list and also as individuals
Some notable mentions would be
Tony Currie
Jarrod McCracken
Garry Connolly
Johnathan Davies
Nigel Vagana
Willie Tonga
Josh Morris
John Timu
Matthew Ryan

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Out of the group you named Number 18 I reckon Andrew Farrer and Nigel Vagana would be the best pairing. The blokes that played against Farrer looked like they'd done ten rounds with Danny Green and the ones that marked Vagana didn't come off much better. But they played in the days when things called inside and outside centres played. Not left centre and right centre.

But out of all the centres I can remember habs has got it right with Nigel Vagana and Josh Morris (at his best). That pair would be brilliant in both attack and defence.

Just a thought though, out of the Mortimer brothers, Steve, Chris and Peter I always thought that Peter showed enough skill playing on the wing to make a very good centre. Any Thoughts?

Reactions: DT

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
In my time for a combo Chris Mortimer and Andrew Farrer were the top of my list and also as individuals
Some notable mentions would be
Tony Currie
Jarrod McCracken
Garry Connolly
Johnathan Davies
Nigel Vagana
Willie Tonga
Josh Morris
John Timu
Matthew Ryan
Matt Ryan man, super-underrated player, could've been anything but injures crueled him.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I saw Willie Talau play and I saw him at ANZ last Monday watching his young fella go around in the U20.

Loved Louie Mortimer, bloody tough centre. Nigel Vagana; remember the day he scored a swag of 5 tries against Souffs and he counted them off on his fingers, lol ( there is a video of it on you tube) . Peter Winchester, Johnny Greaves, Andrew Farrar, Darren Smith,Benny Harris... so many more to choose from...

Status
Not open for further replies.