Looks like he will be in for Mark Schwarzer

St Clair boy now currently playing for Ac Milan

Will be interesting to watch tonight if he does go in goals

KENNY-DOWALL

The Kiwi Xpress
Reaction score
By Ray Gatt
May 25, 2006

AUSTRALIA coach Guus Hiddink is expected to pull a shock by dumping World Cup qualifying hero Mark Schwarzer for tonight's international against Greece at Melbourne Cricket Ground.

It is understood the Italy-based goalkeeper Zeljko Kalac will be given first opportunity to put his case for a starting berth against Japan in the World Cup finals next month.

In a decision that sounds a warning to the rest of the squad that no player's position is safe, The Australian understands that Hiddink has not been impressed with Schwarzer at training this week, and that he believes Kalac is in better shape.

The decision is a huge blow for the Middlesbrough goalkeeper, who seven months ago saved twice during the penalty shoot-out against Uruguay in the second-leg qualifier at Telstra Stadium, sealing Australia's passage to the World Cup finals for the first time in 32 years.

For Kalac, selection is a huge reward for years of playing second fiddle behind Schwarzer, Mark Bosnich and John Filan at Socceroos, Olyroos, and national under-20s and under-17s levels.

Despite being on the bench for the Socceroos more times than he cares to remember, the man they call Spider has remained upbeat and confident his time would come.

Recently, the likeable larrikin of Australian football said he regarded the fight for the goalkeeper's position at the World Cup finals as "50-50".

Advertisement:
"I honestly believe Mark and I are starting on an even basis now," Kalac said. "I think I am close to getting there at last."

A huge performance against the European champion tonight will go a long way to pushing his case for the finals, though the thoroughly professional Schwarzer should not be discounted given there are two more friendlies to be played, against the Netherlands and Liechtenstein, before the match against Japan on June 12.

Status
Not open for further replies.