Your post Langer/Warne/McGrath team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KENNY-DOWALL

The Kiwi Xpress
Reaction score
Agree to that as well TD an excellent idea

That is a very strong looking side as well on there too the Aussies would kill it with that side.

They should use 3 20/20 matches as a preparation heading into the ODI's.

TCB-BD

CBBD FTW!
Reaction score
It is a side that can win a match, but also expose some youngsters into the game... There is the issue with Gilchrist and his workload though... here's another 2 sides that could be trotted out...

1. Phil Jaques
2. Michael Hussey
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Adam Voges
5. Michael Clarke
6. Brad Haddin
7. Andrew Symonds
8. Cameron White
9. Shaun Tait
10. Nathan Bracken
11. Ben Hilfenhaus

OR

1. Phil Jaques
2. Michael Hussey
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Adam Voges
5. Michael Clarke
6. Chris Hartley/ Luke Ronchi
7. Andrew Symonds
8. Cameron White
9. Shaun Tait
10. Nathan Bracken
11. Ben Hilfenhaus

Premiers04

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Phil Jacques
2. Matt Hayden
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Michael Hussey
5. Michael Clarke
6. Cameron White/Shane Watson
7. Adam Gilchrist
8. Brett Lee
9. Dan Cullen
10. Stuart Clark
11. Mitchell Johnson

I think the allrounder spot will be the most contentious position and will offer more variety to our bowling attack, Cameron White has come along in leaps and bounds as a batsmen and is a decent leg spinner, whilst I think Dan Cullen is Australia's next long term spinner.

Chris Rogers & Adam Voges, I believe will get their chances next season which will definately give the aussie side plenty of youth and experience. There is strong bowling & batting depth in domestic cricket. Hopefully the selectors go for the right guys and don't stick with the same old tired formula.

TCB-BD

CBBD FTW!
Reaction score
who is luke ronchi
i rate timmy paine pretty high
Watch some Western Warriors games... he is the backup to Adam Gilchrist at the Warriors... ;)

He is very good with the gloves, and is getting better with the bat... he could be the replacement for Gilly in the long term... he's 24 and has the world at his feet if he keeps growing... as his ability with the gloves whether it be stumpings, catches or just regular glove work is impressive.

.PARANoIR.

I stole this off Charisma
Reaction score
Chris Hartly, Tim Paine and Adam Crosswaith are all better keepers than Luke Ronchi, they would all come under consideration before him. Don't get me wrong, Ronchi is quality, but there are better. Our wicket keeping stocks at the moment is of the highest quality, so Gilchrist's impending retirement doesn't concern me in the slightest. ANY of the states first string keepers could keep for Australia.

Anyway, on the issue of our side post Langer, McGrath and Warne. I think Jaques will replace Langer will no hassles, I hear murmors of Jaques being out of form atm? Uhm. Our next test is in November, plenty of time to find form, he'll be there. Hussey MUST stay in the middle order, he is the rock.

Anyway, on the bowling side, I think we'll need 5 quality bowlers for a while to make up for no McGrath and Warne. People forget that most teams in the world have to use 5 bowlers, we have just been blessed with the luxury for so long of having such an outstanding attack. This is close to what I'd run

1. Jaques
2. Hayden
3. Ponting
4. Hussey
5. Clarke
6. Gilchrist/Symonds
7. White/Gilchrist
8. Lee
9. Johnson
10. Hilfenhaus
11. Clark

Obviously depending on the track here. The top 5 are self explanitory. I'm a big Symonds fan as a one day player, and I'd like to see him get first crack at 6, but I dunno whether we should risk taking in 4 relatively inexperienced (excluding Lee) bowlers against teams like India and Sri Lanka.

We need to go with 4 quicks and a spinner to be honest. Lee adds the experience, Stuart Clark has shown this year he's up to the task, and I think Ben Hilfenhaus and Mitchell Johnson both deserve spots in the side. The debate will continue for a long time as to who has the brighter future of the two, but fact is, they should both be in the side, they're both different type bowlers and they're both sharp and they could both be invaluable to the side.

I don't rate Shane Watson, so I haven't considered him here, so don't say I'm forgetting him, I think his batting is garbage, and his bowling is too straight up and down and I think Stuart MacGill is far to eratic in his bowling, sure he turns it, but his line can be ****house, plus he's an arrogant ******.

Anyway, much to my displeasure, Cameron White would be my first choice spinner, as long as he spends alot of time with Warne and Terry Jenner before hand. White gets the gig on his batting ability here. I don't rate him as a bowler at all, but as an allrounder he has really picked up and I think we'll see him get a gig in the VB series this summer at some stage as well. With the right coaching, White could become quite good.

If it was a batsmens track, then Symonds would be six, Gilchrist seven, White, Lee, Johnson and Hilfenhaus. With no Clark in the side, because I'm sure eventually he will become quite mediocre at test level. If and when Hilfenhaus and Johnson get their chance, they will shine much brighter than Stuart Clark.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
1 Matt Hayden
2 Phil Jacques
3 Ricky Ponting
4 Mike Hussey
5 Michael Clarke
6 Shane Watson
7 Adam Gilchrist
8 Brett Lee
9 Cullen Bailey
10 Stu Clark
11 Shaun Tait

12. Andrew Symonds/Mitchell Johnson

cljunior

Sherwin departs 2007
Reaction score
I think using 20/20's as a tryout for young players is ridiculous. 20/20 is so far off what real cricket is, it would not tell you anything.

FFS, a bowler that is getting 6 RPO is bowling well? What does that tell you?

Test players are born through first class cricket alone, ODI and 20/20 form tells you nothing.

Symonds/Bevan - fantastic ODI players, average Test players

I hate people that try to compare the games, Test cricket is the pure form of the game and not many people can be great playing it.

cljunior

Sherwin departs 2007
Reaction score
Who gives a crap if a player is arrogant?

I think everyone is forgetting, Macgill TAKES WICKETS! we need players to take wickets once McGrath/Warne are gone. They have taken nearly 10 wickets per game while playing together, and that void is nearly impossible to fill.

Put White or Bailey in now, and watch us lose series after series, because we won't be able to bowl teams out twice.

Wait till we have our 3rd seamer sorted, and out batting order complete, before putting new spinners in the team.

Fict|on.x

akimbo^assassin
Reaction score
adam voges is a gun
i think he got the fastest centry in domestic cricket a few years back

1 Matt Hayden
2 Phil Jacques
3 Ricky Ponting
4 Mike Hussey
5 Michael Clarke
6 Andrew Symonds
7 Adam Gilchrist
8 Brett Lee
9 Cameron White
10 Stuart Clark
11 Shaun Tait

cljunior

Sherwin departs 2007
Reaction score
Are you serious? Brad Hogg playing Test cricket? You have to be kidding me, he struggles to make the state team in first class games.

cljunior

Sherwin departs 2007
Reaction score
By the way, those of you with Cameron White in your team, as our predominant spinner. These are his figures for bowling so far:

First-class 67 8648 5029 131 6/66 38.38 3.48 66.01 2 1

I'm sorry, but an average of 38 and strike rate of 66? Tell him his dreaming.

We already have a bowling alrounder in the team, we don't need another, we need a wicket taking spinner!

Faz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
MacGill Retired from all types of cricket about 2 months ago.

Faz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I swear i heard it on the radio, It was more of a step down to let other young kids have a go.

Ill try and find a source or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.