Your opinion on why Hasler won't change our game plan....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's quite clear that we have the most boring, dumb,stupid game plan in all rugby league competitions through out the world. Majority of the commentators/experts/fans in rugby league say we must change our style. Yet I just can't comprehend why Hasler keeps persisting with it. You'd think he would've realised by now and overhauled our attack. I'd like to hear your thoughts on why he won't change...

I reckon he is so confident in himself and genuinely believes it will work if the players somehow get it right (possession/completions, etc ) .
He is obsessed with statistics to the point where he has forgotten about playing football.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I reckon he truly believes he is the best.

And he is a firm believer in odds. everything is a high percentage play IMO. and the whole game plan is him piecing together, statistically what works. And if he pieces together high % plays, he think he will naturally get a high % win rate. But what he does not understand is the theory of mutually exclusive and non-mutually exclusive probabilities.

Addition Rule 1: When two events, A and B, are mutually exclusive, the probabilitythat A or B will occur is the sum of the probability of each event. When two events, A and B, are non-mutually exclusive, there is some overlap between these events.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
In all seriousness all signs point to autism, having the same shoes for 26 years , writing down how many females and males call into a radio show.his obsession with stats and his routine of doing the same thing over and over.
Any doctor would raise the question

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Problem is when he came up with the strategy our forwards were 5 years younger and a lot quicker. They were hard to contain but now they are just plodding somewhere near the middle of the field and the defence has them covered. That strangles any opportunity for the back to do anything unless they play deep and before the line. Given we don't have any young, dynamic ball playing forwards in the side the strategy is dead in the water. We just don't have the cattle though to change at the moment. Maybe with Woods and Foran and hopefully a few other new young faces we may do something different next year but this year we just don't have it.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's his ego that won't let him change he won't admit that his game plan is wrong. He loves all the nutty professor bullshit that gets written about him and he wants nothing more then to have this style to win so his name is up in lights.

He won't allow himself to adapt to other coaches game plans and tatics because that would be a sign that his plan is wrong.

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
My opinion is he is genuinely Manly through and through and is here to destroy us for 1995. He's mental.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He's crazy, deluded and not a good enough coach to be able to adapt even if he wanted to. Which he doesn't because he's maybe the most stubborn and arrogant coach ever.

A good coach will always try and improve and move with the times. They'll also admit fault or error and change things up.

We're the easiest team to defend and gameplan for by a mile and every other coach is outcoaching him. You can't even call what Des does coaching anymore because what evidence is there of any coaching?

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
Because he is a stubborn bastard that refuses to keep up with the times?

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
He doesnt have any ideas. He flogged the moneyball philosophy and was blessed that Fulton can recognise talent. The hard edge the Manly players had was Brad Arthur's doing along with Tooveys in game coaching

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Because he's a scumbag, i read it in the paper so it must be true :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

I seriously can't believe how wrong Des has got things, most of us on here have seen the team going downhill yet this fool just let it happen. His ego is either too big for him to admit he got it wrong and make mass changes to his systems, or he simply doesn't give a fuck and is happy to keep earning his massive pay packet.

Compare Des to McGregor at the dragons. Des is a Premiership winning coach while McGregor was a dud no one wanted. Yet McGregor is the one that stepped up accepted his mistakes and turned the team around while Des kept fucking around and refused to accept his mistakes and just continued with his negative coaching style.

Des has been outcoached by pretty much every coach in the game recently, yet these idiots gave him an extension. Fuck off.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't know.
Just hoping for some change.
Also the club seems totally bereft talent.
I will just be happy to see commitment from the players.

slydog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I just cant comprehend how Dib can give him a 500k pay rise with our performance on the past 17 games
If i wasn't performing at work there's no chance I'd be promoted

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's quite clear that we have the most boring, dumb,stupid game plan in all rugby league competitions through out the world. Majority of the commentators/experts/fans in rugby league say we must change our style. Yet I just can't comprehend why Hasler keeps persisting with it. You'd think he would've realised by now and overhauled our attack. I'd like to hear your thoughts on why he won't change...

I reckon he is so confident in himself and genuinely believes it will work if the players somehow get it right (possession/completions, etc ) .
He is obsessed with statistics to the point where he has forgotten about playing football.

Remember what they say about the definition of madness - to keep doing the same thing but expecting a different result. Des is mad (not a mad scientist)

OITENTA-E-NOVE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
how can you except any coach to implement some type of new game plan when the players hes working with cant even do the basics right. hasler definitely deserves to wear the majority of the responsibility for the current state of play but some of these players in key positions and leadership roles also need to take a look at themselves as i dont think its part of the game plan to miss 1 on 1 tackles or be out of position to receive the ball or kick it straight to the opposition

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
how can you except any coach to implement some type of new game plan when the players hes working with cant even do the basics right. hasler definitely deserves to wear the majority of the responsibility for the current state of play but some of these players in key positions and leadership roles also need to take a look at themselves as i dont think its part of the game plan to miss 1 on 1 tackles or be out of position to receive the ball or kick it straight to the opposition
Haslers fault for not focusing on the basics.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He's superstitious so I wouldn't put it past him not changing anything because of that, maybe he thinks he'll miss the finals for the first time since 2005 if he changed.

Its pretty much due to his percentage plays, someone on here mentioned he was talking to Noddy not long ago and how he was saying that from a certain kick you can score 0.2% of the time

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
can't get the basics right? drop them or ship em out. Its no surprise that we haven't had real halves for the past 5 or 6 years. Yet he persists. Yes players are to blame, but if you install incompetency and indirectly reward it (not dropping them), then the responsibility lies on the coach.

TBH, this is Dib. They handed the keys over to Des and he has run amok. Absolutely no governance at all. The bloke should have been controlled, and not allowed to spend the club's coin to go experimenting. We paid him to win a premiership not to run a quack science experiment. No one cares if Holland's VO2 max is off the charts. Watch him play Des and tell me if you should have resigned him for 3 years.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I remember reading once upon a time about how all the world's most successful people share something in common in regards to being clinically insane. Something that all the top echelon of CEO's, world's leaders etc share. Including well noted ones who have done wrong with that power. The hours they put in, the drive is not what "normal" people do or what they want. Believe this or not I think their is some truth to it.

My guess with Des is that he is that determined to be right that he will go down in flames (and take everyone and everything with him) to prove it. The more he is wrong the more he is determined to be right. Any rational person, considering even myself called this about 3 years ago now would have conceded, admitted it and tried something different. Not Des. I think their some point to his theory of eliminating all the variables BUT and this is a massive and a obvious but, this is sport and the reason why we love sport. Even though we can't understand it things happen out of everyones control and losers win and winners lose, the great evening up. Underdogs can rise and beat the unbeatable! Des fails to acknowledge this part of the ripple affect and also fails to add some unorthodox into what we do, this is why we are sooooo beatable and easy to coach against.

IMO Des has some serious mental deficiencies and is the only way to explain his behavior, wouldn't be surprised if he leaves our club literally to go to a mental institution. Problem is that if someone with common sense doesn't stand up soon and get rid of him than we are going down with him!

Status
Not open for further replies.