Your Opinion on the 1-17 next season

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Tough to please
Now this i agree with they are world champion boring at both sports and great underachievers at Football.
i didnt think i could hate Union more until i watched those VVankers play a couple of times years ago..a yawnfest alright.

warrenpershouse

Waterboy
Reaction score
  1. Matt Dufty
  2. Nick Cotric
  3. Brent Naden
  4. Aaron Schoupp
  5. Josh Addo Carr
  6. Matt Burton
  7. Jake Averillo
  8. Paul Vaughan
  9. Jeremy Marshall King
  10. Luke Thompson
  11. Tevita Pangai Junior
  12. Raymond Faitala Mariner
  13. Josh Jackson
  14. Bailey Biondi Odo
  15. Jack Hetherington
  16. Chris Patolo
  17. Josh Asiata
Nice team mate.. But i think 17 i would rather Topine.. younger and hungrier player

JAZZY92

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
My team idea is very “left field” but is something I think could work. This is how I would have a go at lining them up and why.

1. Averillo. Strong running/passing game. Remove the kicking and allow him to attack with hands and feet.
2. Cotric. His preferred side. Will be better this year.
3. RFM - Talakai type role on the right edge. Will be good defensively blocking oppositions left edge attack. Schoupp later if doesn’t work.
4. Naden. Speed on the left outside burton
5. JAC. Preferred side and speed outside burton
6. Dufty. Attacking flair but liable in defence. This is why RFM is outside him. Could also be shifted out to wing in D. Issue here is leaves burton to basically be our only kicker out of our end.
7. Burton. If Baz is a good enough coach he should be able to teach him to manage the game without interrupting his off the cuff style. (Nathan Cleary type).
8. Jackson. Tackle-bot, can do his current role from here. Needs to start for leadership early but happy for his minutes to reduce.
9. Cook. Everything I’ve heard is this kid has something special.
10. Thompson. Our best prop.
11. TPJ. Poor man’s David Fifita on his day. Too dangerous to be used as a battering ram. Will help dufty defend on the right with RFM.
12. Hethrington. His speed and footwork aren’t appreciated in the middle. Edge is best.
13. JMK/Asiata. Whoever the fuck wants it more. I think JMK offers more in defence. Can also rotate into 9 if needed.

14. BBO
15. Vaughn
16. Ava
17. Patolo

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
My team idea is very “left field” but is something I think could work. This is how I would have a go at lining them up and why.

1. Averillo. Strong running/passing game. Remove the kicking and allow him to attack with hands and feet.
3. RFM - Talakai type role on the right edge. Will be good defensively blocking oppositions left edge attack. Schoupp later if doesn’t work.
6. Dufty. Attacking flair but liable in defence. This is why RFM is outside him. Could also be shifted out to wing in D. Issue here is leaves burton to basically be our only kicker out of our end.
7. Burton. If Baz is a good enough coach he should be able to teach him to manage the game without interrupting his off the cuff style. (Nathan Cleary type).
8. Jackson. Tackle-bot, can do his current role from here. Needs to start for leadership early but happy for his minutes to reduce.
11. TPJ. Poor man’s David Fifita on his day. Too dangerous to be used as a battering ram. Will help dufty defend on the right with RFM.
12. Hethrington. His speed and footwork aren’t appreciated in the middle. Edge is best.
13. JMK/Asiata. Whoever the fuck wants it more. I think JMK offers more in defence. Can also rotate into 9 if needed.

14. BBO
15. Vaughn
16. Ava
17. Patolo
The people picking Averillo at full back really need to get along to a training session or 2 and watch him try (yes try) and catch high balls. At the 4 full sessions that I made it to this year he was hopeless, not bad, seriously hopeless. Every high kick from the opposition would be a good chance for them to score a try if he was the fullback trying to catch them. He is not a talker, does zero, zilch, FA organising, particularly in defence, which is another must have for a fullback.

Maybe he can learn the fullback necessary skills, but he sure as hell doesn’t have them right now.

Always a Bulldog

JAZZY92

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The people picking Averillo at full back really need to get along to a training session or 2 and watch him try (yes try) and catch high balls. At the 4 full sessions that I made it to this year he was hopeless, not bad, seriously hopeless. Every high kick from the opposition would be a good chance for them to score a try if he was the fullback trying to catch them. He is not a talker, does zero, zilch, FA organising, particularly in defence, which is another must have for a fullback.

Maybe he can learn the fullback necessary skills, but he sure as hell doesn’t have them right now.

Always a Bulldog
That's a fair enough response mate. I guess I was purely thinking of it from an attacking standpoint, not a kick defusal standpoint. But you make a case.
I do think, however, his voice has gotten louder as the season has gone on with the game managing responsibilities he's been given this year. Given that, I think if its purely a skills issue it could be taught and trained into him.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
That's a fair enough response mate. I guess I was purely thinking of it from an attacking standpoint, not a kick defusal standpoint. But you make a case.
I do think, however, his voice has gotten louder as the season has gone on with the game managing responsibilities he's been given this year. Given that, I think if its purely a skills issue it could be taught and trained into him.
I have no doubt that he has the athletic skills, but fullback has a very specific set of other skills that I have not seen him display. But they can be taught and learnt, as long as he is capable of learning them. Plus I believe he just needs time to understand what is required to play at NRL level every week. Right now he plainly isn't ready to play fullback at a sustainably high NRL level.

Always a Bulldog

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I have no doubt that he has the athletic skills, but fullback has a very specific set of other skills that I have not seen him display. But they can be taught and learnt, as long as he is capable of learning them. Plus I believe he just needs time to understand what is required to play at NRL level every week. Right now he plainly isn't ready to play fullback at a sustainably high NRL level.

Always a Bulldog
I agree with what your saying, the fact they didnt try him there this year supports your theory it would have been a hot mess not worth trying ever maybe?
I foresee problems next season with what actually is his best position, plus what do we do with BBO who will be wasted just playing what 20 mins off the bench all season "developing" ?

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
01. Matthew Dufty
02. Josh Addo-Carr
03. Aaron Schoupp
04. Brent Naden
05. Nick Cotric
06. Matt Burton (c)(k)
07. Brandon Wakeham
08. Luke Thompson
09. Bailey Biondi-Odo
10. Ava Seumanufagai
11. Tevita Pangai Junior
12. Raymond Faitala-Mariner
13. Josh Jackson

14. Josh Cook
15. Jackson Topine
16. Jack Hetherington
17. Paul Vaughan

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

14. BBO
15. Vaughn
16. Ava
17. Patolo
OMG

RFM Center?
Jackson Prop?
Dufty five eigth?

Just no.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Well, what don’t you like about it?
fuck where do i start.
RFM is not a centre
Dufty cant defend in the front line
you want to kill jacko by getting him to take the shit prop carries?
TPJ is a middle preferably
Cook hasnt even played reserve grade as far as im aware.
you had a crack but it 10,000- 1 to happen.

JORDZILLA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
01. Matthew Dufty
02. Josh Addo-Carr
03. Aaron Schoupp
04. Brent Naden
05. Nick Cotric
06. Matt Burton (c)(k)
07. Brandon Wakeham
08. Luke Thompson
09. Bailey Biondi-Odo
10. Ava Seumanufagai
11. Tevita Pangai Junior
12. Raymond Faitala-Mariner
13. Josh Jackson

14. Josh Cook
15. Jackson Topine
16. Jack Hetherington
17. Paul Vaughan
Feeling this will be our 2022 line-up daddy

JAZZY92

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
fuck where do i start.
RFM is not a centre
Dufty cant defend in the front line
you want to kill jacko by getting him to take the shit prop carries?
TPJ is a middle preferably
Cook hasnt even played reserve grade as far as im aware.
you had a crack but it 10,000- 1 to happen.
RFM isn’t a centre, but to make the change isn’t difficult. Their jobs (meters out of yardage, decoys, etc) aren’t that different. And he would help dufty in defence in the line. Jackos current Carries are no different to what he would do at prop. He loves hard work and needs to be in the middle but He’s not a link and I think we’ll need one next year.
I disagree about TPJ. His best work for mine is on the edge but He can always come in and help in the middle from the edge with and without the ball.
Cook is definitely a wait and see.
and finally, the thread isn’t about what we think will happen. It’s an opinion on how you would line up the squad and why.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I think the most likely lineup for round 1 that Trent would select is this. Only question marks are Schoupp considering surgery, same goes for RFM. How long Trent sticks with that side....we'll see I guess.

1. Dufty
2. JAC
3. Naden
4. Schoupp
5. Cotric
6. Burton
7. Averillo (GK)
8. Thompson
9. Cook
10. Vaughan
11. Hetherington
12. TPJ
13. Jackson (C)

14. BBO
15. Ava
16. Patolo
17. RFM

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

14. BBO
15. Vaughn
16. Ava
17. Patolo
Not sure if serious or just on drugs.