Your Halfback?

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
WARRIORS PLAYMAKER SHOPS HIMSELF TO NRL RIVALS

Out of favour Warriors playmaker Chanel Harris-Tavita has put him in the shop window for a move away from the club.

The Daily Telegraph’s Brent Read reported the Warriors playmaker’s management has sent a letter to clubs to gauge their interest in picking up his client’s services.

Harris-Tavita is off-contract at the end of the 2022 season and the Warriors are yet to make him an offer for an extension.

“Harris-Tavita’s manager sent an email out to clubs last week,” Read said on triple M.

“He has sort of been on the outer there a little bit in the past year or so.

“They haven’t offered him a new deal. He looks like he will play fullback in Round 1 with Reece Walsh out.

“He is a good versatile player so I’m sure he will find some interest elsewhere. He is too good to be on the scrap heap.

“He is a good enough player to get a start somewhere else. It is strange because he has done a pretty serviceable job there when he has got the chance.

“I’m sure someone will look to pick him up.”

Benji Marshall believes Harris-Tavita is an excellent prospect given the lack of quality halves across the competition.

“They have signed four halves so there is obviously not a spot for him to fit in there,” Marshall said.

“If I was him I would be looking for somewhere else to go as well.

“If I was looking for someone to control a game. Halves and good halves are hard to come by these days so he is definitely someone you would be looking at.

“But worrying signs from the Warriors as well.”

The 22-year-old has scored six tries in 37 games since his debut in 2019 and has played one Test for Samoa.
He's advertising for the dolphins

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Flanagan. May as well get that question out of the way asap. He is the most experienced half we have. Averillo shouldn't be allowed near the halves. Bbo isn't ready.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Averillo will most likely get the run on gig, but if so, it's essential that BBO be on the bench.
If Averillo doesn't perform, he can be punted for BBO.
BBO has more natural ability and he can make things happen.

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd get widdop for now on a year or two contract and develop BBO into a half back for the long term.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Even though BBO has some natural talent, his weakness will be running at bigger, faster forwards all day, a big step up from juniors. He might get the shit kicked out of him and be less effective. Happens to a lot of juniors when they hit FG straight from juniors. Averillo is one of them.

Last edited:

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I would play Flanagan but not right away, I think he’s got potential to be better, to be the clinical half we need alongside Burton.
I think he’s got a good short kicking game and he’s a good goal kicker, he’s got the goods but it’s all mental with him I think.

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still a rookie playing as an NRL number 7, however if we improve ball control and our go forward - which are both likely, than I think Averillo is the pick.

His experience from last year together with playing behind this pack and having Burton as a half partner will be the key to his improvement.

Hooker is obviously still a big concern - JMK needs to be at 14 and Cook needs play at 9.

The reason we need to give Cook first chance is that 2 of our biggest issues are how we attach in the opposition 20 and and last tackle kicks from anywhere on the field - both directly impact the 6 and 7.

Averillo is a very good kicker of a football and we all know Burton is a great kicker - both are very dependent on the 9's ability to set up the last play. Thank god we have signed Mahoney because previously Lichaa and now JMK are both sadly lacking in that area.

Same thing for attacking in the 20, or from anywhere on the field really. If you don't have vision and a sharp pass from the 9, then everything that comes next will be stymied - it is by far our biggest issue, although in the little I have seen of Cook he is a genuine No 9.

BBO is the backup for both the 9 and 7

Wakeham is depth and Flanagan misses out.

Whatever Averillo achieves this year, it will be greatly improved on in 23 when Mahoney arrives.

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Still a rookie playing as an NRL number 7, however if we improve ball control and our go forward - which are both likely, than I think Averillo is the pick.

His experience from last year together with playing behind this pack and having Burton as a half partner will be the key to his improvement.

Hooker is obviously still a big concern - JMK needs to be at 14 and Cook needs play at 9.

The reason we need to give Cook first chance is that 2 of our biggest issues are how we attach in the opposition 20 and and last tackle kicks from anywhere on the field - both directly impact the 6 and 7.

Averillo is a very good kicker of a football and we all know Burton is a great kicker - both are very dependent on the 9's ability to set up the last play. Thank god we have signed Mahoney because previously Lichaa and now JMK are both sadly lacking in that area.

Same thing for attacking in the 20, or from anywhere on the field really. If you don't have vision and a sharp pass from the 9, then everything that comes next will be stymied - it is by far our biggest issue, although in the little I have seen of Cook he is a genuine No 9.

Whatever Averillo achieves this year, it will be greatly improved on in 23 when Mahoney arrives.
JMK is a really good interchange hooker IMO

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

There is no correct answer because we don’t have a 7 or 9 that are of NRL standard.

Averillo will start there because that is what Barrett is basing his coaching future on.

Averillo has a very average kicking game, he lacks any vision in attack. He is not an organiser. He is a runner. He has had plenty of game time as half and hasn’t once shown he is remotely a half.

As I said we don’t have anyone which is down to recruitment. I think Wakeham is the best chance Barrett has of still being the coach cone Origin.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Im shocked no-one has suggested luring Josh Reynolds back to the club even though he isnt a 7