10) Michael Hodgson
11) Yileen Gordon
12) Andrew Ryan
13) David Stagg

14) Tia Kalifi
15) Jamal Idris
16) Micky Paea
17) Chris Armit

I know this is a strange combination to many but Idris can't play 80mins IMO he doesn't have the stamina think he really needs to prove himself to get a starter spot.

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
Long term Patten replacement

Hey guys does anyone know who the dogs are looking at as a long term replacement to patten? The fact that we just bought Green and the fact that we have openly said that we will persue Mortimer suggests to me that they may be looking at Barba as a fullback in the future. Don't worry about size just look at Matt Bowen

habibz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
1. Patten: Good solid player but needs to be more switched on in general support play El Masri should school him on this one. But positions beautifully and chimes in on set plays
2. Turner: Fast, Strong, Solid and consistant good finisher and great positional play in defence
3. Idris: devestating attacking weapon. Simply needs to mature and work on his turning speed and fitness.
4. Morris: fantastic player great in attack sometimes finds it hard to put the attacking team on its back.
5. Goodwin Great finisher and leaper but gets caught out with basic defensive errors
6. Barba: Sensational talent great vision and natural attacker has the same support play ethic as Terry lamb did except this kid is more skillful and faster. His defence is questionable but almost every great half in NRL has questionable defence. Good general play kicker
7. Kimmorley: Great organiser,great defender great playmaker and possibly has 2-3 years left barring injury
8. Hannant: Buy of the year bullldogs best makes metres bends the line back makes 30-50 tackles a game. should just focus on offloading more
9. Ennis: Great player with great attitude but is his own worst enemy. Overplays his hand and has brain explosions but that may change in time
10. Paea: could be the dogs MOI MOI real hard runner who goes stright and off loads deluxe. Used in a similar fashion to moi moi.
11. Ryan: Defensively ok has lost almost all attacking spark and makes crucial errors. Is the captain though
12. Halatau: Great hole and ball runner Strong breaks tackles and offloads. He also has good hands and a good kicking game.
13. Stagg: Need i Say more

14. Gordon; Wow of a year awesome in attack just needs to get a bit more fitness and to work harder in defence
15. Hodgson: Ordinary personified is ok when we are on top but goes missing when it counts. Does make a few runs not so good in defence.
16. Armit: Solid and can Offload
17. Roberts: Great ball runner and sweet kicker. But in all honesty lacks creativity and makes way too many mistakes. Also goes missing when the big stuff is on but has improved in the brain explosion catergory. One thing about him is he is good in small does so use him in that fashion

hickey: Joke Personified should never be picked. Runs max 10m on his back cant offload tires quickly makes errors and gives away lazy penalities and defensively can not tackle.
Warburton: Tackles but not much more. doesnt sting the defence and offers little in attack
Green: Great potential who knows. Seen him somedays look like a star sometimes ordinary.
Utai Predicatable as night and day and cant catch or jump
Williams :Looks good but small for his role
Morrin: Ordinary
Holdsworth: rocks or diamonds player.

Have no idea what the dogs will do without hazem. Scores tries others simply cant. Best goalkicker of all time and one of the best defensive wingers. So the question is will our 2-6 point wins turn into loses

Tha DoggFather

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
1. Patten
2. Turner
3. Idris
4. Morris
5. Goodwin
6. Roberts
7. Kimmorley
8. Hannant
9. Ennis
10. Hodgson
11. Gordon
12. Ryan
13. Stagg

14. Armit
15. Halatau
16. Paea
17. Barba

bulldogs2010

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As an overseas fan, I got to watch the game last friday night. Maybe regular watchers will have seen different stuff. I thought we looked too big and slow compared to Parramatta as the game wore on. Maybe we got worn out with too much early defence on our line because of crap referee decisions (Roberts allegedly playing at ball thrown into his chest from touch). Luck (especially injuries) plays a big factor in semis and you just have to put yourself in a position to win the premiership by getting to the finals every year. There are 3 primary issues in looking at new players and 2010 - whether the new players will improve our team in 2010; whether our existing players are on an upwards curve in their careers or winding down; whether our opponents are going up or down in terms of salary cap and performance. Luke Patten, Andrew Ryan, Michael Hodgson and Brett Kimmorley are older players - but they all have great pride and commitment. They should stay solid. The key to our premiership success has often been the development of the mid-career players. Remember the 1980, 1995 and 2004 teams all had a lot of guys in the 50-100 game bracket. Older people will recall how much Simon Gillies suddenly improevd in 1995 for example. So further improvement by mid career players like Hannant, Ennis and Morris (who all played Origin) plus Stagg, Roberts and Goodwin is critical. This sounds harsh because they were all great this year - but they need to improve more. Younger players like Jamal Idris will also come into this bracket. I don't think we have enough players in this bracket. Maybe I am forgetting someone because I am a long way away. Maybe Harrison, Barba will come though and players like Warburton and Gordon will continue to improve. The recruitment question is whether the loss of Eastwood (huge) is balanced by the new fringe forwards (who we will improve) + Halatau. I think Dean is a guy who could add some speed and versatility. But I haven't seen him a lot since 2005/6. That would really help our team. But whether it is Barba, Halatau, Roberts or someone else we definitely need more unpredictability in our game. We scored more points than any team in 2009 but as the year wore on other teams started to work out our patterns and contain them. Our scores got lower. Semis need that X factor like Steve Mortimer used to bring to the game. The final issue is whether the sides ahead of us - Storm and Eels - are going up or down in their battle with the salary cap. And if there any other teams going upwards in the cycle. I think Eels are on a once in a lifetime run but they will still be very good next year. Storm are sliding - slightly. Manly will definitely come back. They are a big danger next year with a settled off season, Hasler and no bull****. St George and Brisbane probably lack that X factor. Brisbane lose Taylor (already weak in forwards) and Lockyer is getting old and tired. St George lose good forwards (their current strength). Soward is the new Jason Taylor - flat track bully. Panthers, Souths, Knights, Titans - they all win lots of games but also lack that extra edge to win the premiership. So it is pretty even. WE jsut got to be good enough to get to the finals and have good fortune. On that basis, I think we can look forward to 2010 - even win the Premiership with the normal ounce of luck based on all these factors. The team is still developing as a unit - only 1 year together so like a new franchise. Lot of bull**** above. Longest post in history. Cheers
FMD, you mind using your return/enter key every now and then?

CBF reading all that lol.

BTW, I agree that JTK will put pressure on Turner. It's great that we have such depth to do this now.:grinning:

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
01) Luke Patten
02) Steve Turner
03) Josh Morris
04) Dene Halatau
05) Bryson Goodwin
06) Ben Roberts
07) Brett Kimmorley
08) Ben Hannant
09) Michael Ennis
10) Michael Hodgson
11) Yileen Gordon
12) Andrew Ryan
13) David Stagg

14) Tia Kalifi
15) Jamal Idris
16) Micky Paea
17) Chris Armit

I know this is a strange combination to many but Idris can't play 80mins IMO he doesn't have the stamina think he really needs to prove himself to get a starter spot.
Winger and a centre on the bench? lol

bulldogs2010

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doesn't look the same with Hazem.
Tell me about it.:(

You know, from what I saw from Hazem in the last 3 games last year and 2 games this year, he could've made a terrific fullback.

I love the General and it was a shame he got injured but I doubt he would've put in that beautiful kick for Goodwin to scorethe first try and his positional play on one of the grubbers was terrific.

Oh well.:(

BTW, a fair majority of you are surpising me with your teams.

No Waburton seemed crazy to me but some of you are saying No Hodgo and Bobcat.

I think fair enough for Bobcat. IMO, his past his best. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

But Hodgson? I think his been an outstanding player this year.

Timmah.

CANTERBURY!!!!!
Reaction score
I reckon Idris should be benched actually, use him as a wide-running 2nd rower.

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Patten (c)
2. Turner
3. Morris
4. Idris
5. Goodwin
6. Roberts
7. Kimmorley (vc)
8. Hannant
9. Ennis
10. Hodgson
11. Warburton
12. Halatau
13. Stagg

14. Barba
15. Ryan
16. Armit
17. Gordon
11. Warburton
12. Halatau
13. Stagg

you must be kidding right? this backrow would be smaller than most backlines!!!!!!!

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
11. Warburton
12. Halatau
13. Stagg

you must be kidding right? this backrow would be smaller than most backlines!!!!!!!
What has that got to do with anything?

Stagg is a proven Lock, and played SOO.

Halatau is a proven utility/backrower, who has repped NZ 15 times or something.

Warburton is developing into a good FG player, and was starting almost all year.

Size has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Brent_11

Waterboy
Reaction score
Ryan has been crap since 2006.
People always want to refer every second rower to sbw or like sbw.. his not there for the x factor fact he can take hit ups calm team and also defence.. look at hindy his not most sizzling excitement machine to watch but still that team would be lost with out him.. same goes for us..

Shanghai Dog

Campsie/Yangtze
Reaction score
Hi bulldogs 2010, sorry about my text. I think Chinese internet services caused spacing to get removed. Try and think of it like an AFL tap out. Very intense. CHEERS

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Luke Patten
2. Steve Turner
3. Jamal Idris
4. Josh Morris
5. Bryson Goodwin
6. Ben Roberts
7. Brett Kimmorley
8. Ben Hannant
9. Michael Ennis
10. Michael Hodgson
11. Dene Halatau
12. Andrew Ryan (c)
13. David Stagg

14. Mickey Paea
15. Chris Armit
16. Yileen Gordon
17. Jarrad Hickey/Ben Barba

Shanghai Dog

Campsie/Yangtze
Reaction score
You got it 200% right SBW. Maybe to a level you didn't realize. To say "Barba or Hickey" off bench just shows what a huge challenge lies ahead for the club in terms of style. Do we go with the "same old same old" bulldogs style that ran of steam last Friday. Or do we become a more modern football team with some risk and bite. We played great this year - but just like modified Folkes Dogs. We need to change approach to compete with Storm, Eels and Manly. I am not close to the club like some people. I know what people say abour Barba. But I do know that we need something special off the bench.

Kingi

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Luke Patten
2. Steve Turner
3. Jamal Idris
4. Josh Morris
5. Bryson Goodwin
6. Ben Roberts
7. Brett Kimmorley
8. Ben Hannant
9. Michael Ennis
10. Michael Hodgson
11. Dene Halatau
12. Andrew Ryan (c)
13. David Stagg

14. Mickey Paea
15. Martin Taupau/Danny Williams
16. Yileen Gordon
17. Ben Barba

19. Chris Armit/ Jarrad Hickey

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
Armit @ 19 behind Taupau and Williams? LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!! :roflol: :roflol:

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
lmaoo i reckon, really i know its our own opinions but lets be realistic

Status
Not open for further replies.