Yesterday's Hero: Rod Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Previous Yesterday's Hero threads:

Darren Smith: https://www.thekennel.net.au/forum/index.php?threads/yesterdays-hero-darren-smith.108562/
Craig Polla-Mounter: https://www.thekennel.net.au/forum/index.php?threads/yesterdays-hero-craig-polla-mounter.108757/
Daryl Halligan: https://www.thekennel.net.au/forum/index.php?threads/yesterdays-hero-daryl-halligan.108856/
Jason Hetherington: https://www.thekennel.net.au/forum/...-hero-jason-hetherington.109027/#post-3315518
Simon Gillies: https://www.thekennel.net.au/forum/index.php?threads/yesterdays-hero-simon-gillies.109096/

Rod Silva

Rodney "Rocket Rod" Silva is an Australian former professional rugby league footballer of indigenous background. He initially played for the Sydney Roosters from 1988 to 1994. He was named Dally M Fullback of the year in 1993. In 1995, Phil Gould joined the Roosters as coach and moved Silva to reserve grade, ultimately cutting him from the team. In the middle of the season of that year Silva joined the Canterbury Bulldogs and took their troubled fullback position, ultimately scoring the final try in the Bulldogs grand final win against Manly that year.

In 2000, Silva was dropped due to poor form at the backend of the season, and Hazem El Masri took up the position for the remainder of year. In Silva's final year in Rugby League, 2001, the Bulldogs had secured 2nd spot on the ladder with one game remaining, and the round 26 game against the Dragons would have had no bearing on their final position heading into the finals. As an act of good faith, coach Steve Folkes named Silva to play on the wing to cover for the injured Shane Martene in the Bulldogs 24-12 win, with Silva scoring the opening try of the game (pictured below). Silva retired from professional Rugby League in 2001.

It has been remarked that he is the last of the pedigree of NRL players that also worked as Police Officers.

Silva.jpg Silva1.jpg Silva2.jpg

Wahesh

Reaction score
I remember in the 1998 finals, he played a pretty big part in the team - especially our comeback against the Eels. Not only did he score a try but he saved a couple a swell. Certainly was a leadership and has put most fullbacks since him on show with a few exceptions!

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I met Rocket Rod a couple of years back after he played in a legends of league game in Tamworth. I was wearing my dogs jersey to the game and one of the first things he said was did I know how we were going (we were playing the warriors while the legends game was on). So aside from being one of my favorite players as a youngster I also think he's a top bloke who's more than happy to chat with fans and still follows the Bulldogs. I also had a chat with O'meley and Darren Smith, but Silva was the most down to earth and willing to chat of the three. I was glad to have the chance to meet him.

Gubanaculum

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think he signed a super league contract so rooters punted him .

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
The nicest footballer I've ever met. Top bloke and top player. If he doesn't join us in 1995 we don't win the comp.

Wahesh

Reaction score
The nicest footballer I've ever met. Top bloke and top player. If he doesn't join us in 1995 we don't win the comp.
Sure did. He was a big part of our season especially towards the back end. We appeared to be having a mixed bag before he came on board. Anytime he got into space it was a certain 4 points. Flying speedster.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Absolute legend. His ability to take a miracle off load and then show blistering pace was insane.

He was easily one of my top dogs players to watch during the 90's.

Reactions: DT

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Such a good player and a nice guy to boot. I remember the try he scored in 1995 grand Final. Had a magic step and was extremely quick. One of my favourite Dogs players and still to this day is sighted at some of our games, I think he even presented an 18th jersey.

https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2018/02/02/silva-linings-for-rocket-rod/

Chances are, if you're misbehaving on Canterbury’s public transport, you're going to find yourself on the wrong side of one of the Bulldogs’ greatest ever players.

‘Rocket’ Rod Silva, one of Canterbury’s most-loved stars and one of the finest fullbacks of the 1990s, runs the policing of the public transport around the Bankstown area - including the trainline that runs behind Belmore Oval, where he earned a cult following.

“I’m team leader to 10 or 12 cops, in the Bankstown area – the Sydenham to Liverpool line, and we look after public transport and safety,” Sergeant Silva, who played 192 NRL games during stints at the Roosters and Bulldogs, tells NSWRL.com.au.

“Occasionally Bulldogs fans come up to me and say g’day. It’s a pretty good place to work (laughs).”

A proud Aboriginal, Silva has also played a significant role in NSW Koori sides over many years, taking up coaching roles to give the next generation of gifted kids a helping hand – on and off the field.

“(Veteran NSWRL Indigenous Programs employee) Steve ‘Bear’ Hall got me involved with the Koori under-16s side a long time ago,” Silva says.

“It was a great experience but the group just got so big I just couldn’t handle it any more. I’ve been involved with the Koori Nines at the Cabramatta Nines since about 2013. It’s a nice compromise.

“All my ancestors are Aboriginal – my great grandparents, my grandparents and so on. My mum’s from Moree and my father’s from Kempsey. The last name (Silva) is Portuguese I think, but we’re not totally sure where that comes in.

“That background, that’s why I got involved with the Koori side. I feel privileged to be asked.”

Silva this weekend coaches a NSWRL Koori Nines side to play at the Cabramatta International Nines tournament.

“It really means something to us. It’s not the NRL, but it’s a good level and there have been some players picked up from the tournament,” he says.

“I’m really happy to be involved. Andrew Walker, who was a fantastic player and still is, has played, so too (Yileen) 'Buddy' Gordon and Braidon Burns.”

Silva, who possessed the slickest footwork in the game during his heyday in addition to a sharp-as-a-razor flattop, still keeps a close eye on his beloved Bulldogs - and expects great things in 2018.

“I’m still involved as an ambassador. I still love the club,” Silva says.

“I think Dean Pay was a great choice [as Canterbury’s NRL head coach], and I think (former assistant coach) Jim Dymock would’ve been too. Both are great men. I feel a little sorry for Jimmy because he’s done his apprenticeship for so long, but Dean’s an excellent man for the job.

“I think we’ll see a much harder and more successful Bulldogs side this year. I’m looking forward to seeing how they fare.

“I don't have [the flattop] anymore though (laughs). I like the short back and sides now. My mate’s wife called [the haircut] a 'helmet' – the middle-eastern brothers loved it… but I eventually had to get rid of it. My barber, also a middle-eastern brother, puts the part in it like the cool kids nowadays anyway. It’s good.”

For the moment, though, Silva’s attention isn’t on the Bulldogs… or his work. It’s on his Koori Nines, and how he can help make their collective futures brighter.

“I’m just happy to help out, to assist in making the lives of today’s kids a little easier than when we were growing up,” he says.

“I experienced a bit of racism growing up, it was a little difficult at times, so if we can do what we can to empower today’s youth, the future can only be brighter. I’m honoured to be involved.”

RELATED

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
what a legend,,, but gees he gave me anxiety when he would jog to the ball for a kick return.....

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolutely bloody legend player...and to have come from those scumbag Roosters i always that in the back of my mind but he became a true Bulldog legend

Wahesh

Reaction score
It's good to know about his surname. Silva is a Portugese or Spanish surname, so for them not to know where it comes from either means everyone is on the same boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.