Yesterday's Hero: Darren Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

harks76

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Had many beers since but I am almost certain he scored in the corner in a finals game against Canberra to get us over the line, Only reason I remember that is my oldman almost broke the tv with his excitment.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Don't shoot me for this, but because I moved to Melbourne when I was a teenager in 1983 I went for the blues in SOO but never had that burning passion.

Then the club always had a few Queenslanders like Smith and I hated so many of the NSW players (hello Terry Hill & co) sometimes I secretly wanted a Queensland win.

Great player for the club. Never did win a premiership with Canterbury which is a shame.
The club should've continued to re-sign him on a year-by-year basis for another couple of seasons. In 2004/05 he was playing games for the Broncos again. Surely he could've been with us in 2004 when we won. I reckon he would've played in the 04 GF instead of Thurston (which sounds weird given the player Thurston is nowadays).

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of my favourites when he first came to us, but had the Queenslander playing for a NSW team disease, ie when they made a name for themselves they wanted to go and play for the Bronks, I've noticed this with many QLD players playing for NSW clubs, that's why at SOO time they appeared to be much better players. Was told by an official at the time that Darren was offered a very good contract yet heard later that he finished up getting much less at the Bronks, I bet that he would have much better off if he had stayed with us.
Jason IMHO showed great potential but did not apply himself like his brother did.

Status
Not open for further replies.