Opinion Yesterdays embarrassment

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I'm off on tour for the next few rounds. Won't be back until the semis start.
I'll be able to check the scores, but will often be out of mobile range.

Normally, I'd be upset that I'll miss some games, but this time it's a blessing. I can put the Dogs behind me for this year, and hope that 2023 turns out to be a better one; though I have no confidence that it will be.
All the best with your next tour of duty CH :grinning:

Feeling underwhelmed and pretty much numb about the team atm myself as well.

Looking towards 2023 now for some respect for the club.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well Baz's assistant, Furner is still here and so are his fingerprints. Potter was just the nice likeable uncle that freed the shackles. So it's no surprise they haven't worked on much since Potter came in. He still did well considering.

I expect our defence and combinations to be much better next year.
Next year better be the year we show something. I'm getting very tired of building up my expectations, then seeing us lose ten games in a row while the coach makes excuses about taking time to gel.

Malla

Reaction score
Next year better be the year we show something. I'm getting very tired of building up my expectations, then seeing us lose ten games in a row while the coach makes excuses about taking time to gel.
Before this year when did you have high expectations?

This roster has been shit house since 2018. Expectations should have been low.

UndeadShadowMan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hard to believe we are still 12th after 3 losses in a row just goes to show we ain't the only team struggling

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
My mind has already turned to the NFL season now ….the dogs v Wahs game confirmed we are going through the motions and just waiting for season end. I had a feeling Parra would pump us and they did well and truly.

Most likely cop another 40 vs Sharks and don’t even like our chances v Manly.

But hey at least we avoided the spoon (all time low expectations)

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
My mind has already turned to the NFL season now ….the dogs v Wahs game confirmed we are going through the motions and just waiting for season end. I had a feeling Parra would pump us and they did well and truly.

Most likely cop another 40 vs Sharks and don’t even like our chances v Manly.

But hey at least we avoided the spoon (all time low expectations)
How bout them Cowboys? ;)

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
At least where not the tigers.
I read somewhere that their juniors are very highly rated and they have a new centre of excellence but their management is shit, they probably need to get rid of them

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
While yesterday wasn't great I've seen a lot worse from us.

Eels are a far better team at CommBank Stadium than they are away from home. Plus they were playing to cement their spot in the finals.

I feel at this time of year it's a mindset, we're out of contention and have announced a new coach early in the week for next year while Parra were psyched up for the game and wanting retribution for getting flogged by us earlier in the year.

We came out in that earlier game we won with purpose, with Potter taking over and proved we can match it with anyone if we have the right mindset. Yesterday it was the Eels with that mindset and we looked flat.

JAC had scored an intercept try in that earlier game this year and tried to do the same in Parra's first two tries but was caught out. If one of those come off that changes the game. Also thought the Blake try was clearly off a forward pass.

Stats weren't good but they didn't say it should've been a flogging score line, which it was. That tells me we were spent and they ran over us or the Eels weren't as good as they looked. We made them look better than they actually were.

They're not going to get that luxury when they face Panthers, Storm, Rorters and Souffffs.

Still feel they're making up the numbers and will be found out come the Finals.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I really hope Mahony next year continues to get away with the forward passes he throws from dummy half. He's rapidly approaching the CSmith level of 20 in each half.

BUT, he will be playing for us, false hope, there is no chance.

Always a Bulldog

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm off on tour for the next few rounds. Won't be back until the semis start.
I'll be able to check the scores, but will often be out of mobile range.

Normally, I'd be upset that I'll miss some games, but this time it's a blessing. I can put the Dogs behind me for this year, and hope that 2023 turns out to be a better one; though I have no confidence that it will be.
Where you headed mate? I could use a good holiday! Sick of winter out here in woop woop. It looks like the minimum temps will at least be tolerable next week (5-7c yay!) but can't wait to get away to see different scenery. At least spring will make it more enjoyable to be outside. Living in the bush has it's benefits (quiet and not much traffic) but it can be rather monotonous. Hoping to take the motorhome to the outback or somewhere in the next few weeks. Only problem there is the cost of fuel!

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honeymoon is definitely over. I'll be honest, I turned the game off and done better things a few minutes into the second half. I didn't bother coming into TK until now. There was no point talking about that trash. I don't even know what the final score was. How we can go from the playing style a few weeks ago to this rubbish of the last 2 weeks has me fuked!

Let's go 2023.
It's easy to just switch off these days for me. I used to watch no matter how humiliating the game. If we were losing 40-0, I'd still be at the game/watching the tv. I'm at the stage now where footy is as enjoyable, as it is frustrating, and I don't just mean our team. I'm talking whole of game, the rules, refereeing and everything. I was watching a game yesterday and the ball was kicked out on the full, but instead of reversing the 40/20 call, play went on. I was dumbfounded, but since neither team was Bulldogs I wasn't too perturbed. Frustrated though at such a howler being missed. Calls like that are often delayed or reversed (especially ingoal/deadball line calls).

Malla

Reaction score
While yesterday wasn't great I've seen a lot worse from us.

Eels are a far better team at CommBank Stadium than they are away from home. Plus they were playing to cement their spot in the finals.

I feel at this time of year it's a mindset, we're out of contention and have announced a new coach early in the week for next year while Parra were psyched up for the game and wanting retribution for getting flogged by us earlier in the year.

We came out in that earlier game we won with purpose, with Potter taking over and proved we can match it with anyone if we have the right mindset. Yesterday it was the Eels with that mindset and we looked flat.

JAC had scored an intercept try in that earlier game this year and tried to do the same in Parra's first two tries but was caught out. If one of those come off that changes the game. Also thought the Blake try was clearly off a forward pass.

Stats weren't good but they didn't say it should've been a flogging score line, which it was. That tells me we were spent and they ran over us or the Eels weren't as good as they looked. We made them look better than they actually were.

They're not going to get that luxury when they face Panthers, Storm, Rorters and Souffffs.

Still feel they're making up the numbers and will be found out come the Finals.
While I agree with everything you have mentioned, this is not about Parra, it's about us.

We were really bad. There are some players that I have been questionable on all year and after watching them the last 2 weeks, as I mentioned in my original post, they need to go. This last 3 weeks is a better indication of where we are at. We have no resilience as a team, there's no organization in terms of what we are doing, we have relied purely on the individual brilliance of Burton, JAC and Kiraz most of the last few months. A lot of our players, mainly our fullback, are too scared to put their body on the line.

Malla

Reaction score
It's easy to just switch off these days for me. I used to watch no matter how humiliating the game. If we were losing 40-0, I'd still be at the game/watching the tv. I'm at the stage now where footy is as enjoyable, as it is frustrating, and I don't just mean our team. I'm talking whole of game, the rules, refereeing and everything. I was watching a game yesterday and the ball was kicked out on the full, but instead of reversing the 40/20 call, play went on. I was dumbfounded, but since neither team was Bulldogs I wasn't too perturbed. Frustrated though at such a howler being missed. Calls like that are often delayed or reversed (especially ingoal/deadball line calls).
It's easy to switch off when you are a bunch of losers.

halfcast

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah it's depressing alright to accept that we are now a down and out club. It seems to be ingrained now and not a season to season thing.

When you remember all the good times. The entertaining games and superstars who we were so proud to say they played for OUR team. Then, just as importantly to us, the skillful characters of the game and the honest toilers who did their job and represented us with pride.

There's lot of work to be done to fix this.

Realisticly it does look like Gus is putting in the long term plans and pathways to see us through in the future.

Unfortunately it is absolutely clear that he was right all along. It will take quite a while for sustainable success.

Every year its been a clean out of lazy or not first grade quality players and unsuitable coaches like a spiral we can't get ourselves out of. That seems to be clearing and on a better trajectory.

We have our successful history to remember and hopefully a new future turning around for us sooner rather than later.
In gus we trust...however long it takes

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hard to believe we are still 12th after 3 losses in a row just goes to show we ain't the only team struggling
I think it was Gus who said that the last few weeks have just reinforced the uneven state of the competition. Games actually got a bit closer and competitive whilst sides had players out injured/suspended in the preceding period. Think they were shooting for a record haul of points over the eight games last weekend

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Where you headed mate? I could use a good holiday! Sick of winter out here in woop woop. It looks like the minimum temps will at least be tolerable next week (5-7c yay!) but can't wait to get away to see different scenery. At least spring will make it more enjoyable to be outside. Living in the bush has it's benefits (quiet and not much traffic) but it can be rather monotonous. Hoping to take the motorhome to the outback or somewhere in the next few weeks. Only problem there is the cost of fuel!
Overnight train Brisbane to Longreach, then coach to Winton and Mt. Isa.
Fly to Normanton via Doomadgee and Mornington Island
Train to Croydon Qld, Coach to Cobbold Gorge and Forsayth
Train from Forsayth to Cairns.
Fly back to Sydney

Visit Qantas museum, Outback Hall of Fame, Age of Dinosaurs, Dinosaur stampede, Karumba, Port Douglas, Mossman Gorge, Herberton,
Ride Spirit of the Outback, Gulflander, Savannahlander trains, and SkyRail cable car.

It is warmer out there, but still cold overnight. Flies are a real problem, after the heavy rains earlier this year.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Before this year when did you have high expectations?

This roster has been shit house since 2018. Expectations should have been low.
I've been a little hopeful every year, but my confidence in the team has steadily slipped each season, no matter who they've signed. Even this year I wasn't expecting any better than 12th.

Malla

Reaction score
I've been a little hopeful every year, but my confidence in the team has steadily slipped each season, no matter who they've signed. Even this year I wasn't expecting any better than 12th.
From memory yes we finished the year every from between 2018 and 2020 with a string of wins and it gave the false hope that the following year would be better because we had figured it out when really it was probably just that there was no pressure on them and they just played footy.

I was actually expecting a top 8 finish this year. Burton, JAC, Vaughan and Dufty - I thought those signings along with a few others I haven't mentioned would get us into the 8 just, or at least challenging for the 8. And really when you look back at some results we should have won early on - Manly, Broncos, Raiders and Knights - we win those and we are where Raiders are now with a chance to the 8. So I was extremely disappointed.

Next year, I have zero expectations. I will wait until we see how this team looks in off season training and in trials. Now that I think of it, this team looked underdone and unfit in the trials and that should have been a sign for the season.