News (Yawn..) Cronk: Dogs spent $3m to become a contender but ignored one key issue. It spells ‘trouble’

BG73

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think we'll get better treatment from the WWE refs next year in terms of penalties and 6 agains because of their own confirmation bias of which team should win due to our stronger roster and having a strong media influence in our club in Gus. The top teams get better treatment particularly the 50-50 calls and laying on top of tackled players because the refs believe they should be winning the game. So the refs think nothing of it if they continually give tho top teams penalties during the game. A cellar dweller team rarely gets on top against a top side because the refs will cane them in the ruck knowing they won't get scrutinised. It's a self fulfilling prophecy from the refs.
Exactly this! It’s why the 6 again is the single biggest blight on the game

BG73

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Our defensive issues this season can almost 100% be put down to the absolute rort of a rule introduced (6agin)where a referee can single handed decide who wins the game by handing one team 60% + of the ball.

This is the single worst rule change in the games history. This subjective rule which gives the ref no accountability alone costs us and extra 3-4 wins last season. With an unmeasurable amount of defensive points also attributed to it.

Our defence will be much better this year on the basis we should get a more even share of possession.
Couldn’t say it any better mate, totally agree

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We just need a kicking game. Wow, blame the rules haha. Blame the shit meters gained in the set. Blame the terrible kick on the end of every set we have. Burton is the only thing that can save us.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
"Talking Head offers a take to generate clicks."

Calm down.

mr j

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We did in 2009.

The same year they all floated their yachts up from Melbourne to Sydney and won the comp *
Well buckle up because the signings we’ve already made beats the 09 signings by a long way.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well buckle up because the signings we’ve already made beats the 09 signings by a long way.
Really ??

We went from 16th to 2nd in 2009. One of the greatest turnarounds in history.

If Kimmorley didn’t get injured in the last regular season game and Patten didn’t get knocked out early in the prelim we beat Parra and probably win the comp .

Noddy played but he was half fit .

2009 was a great recruitment drive. I think this year is as well but no way in the world is it better than 2009. And certainly not by a long way

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
TBaz should print the negative stuff on A3 with such huge font even Dufty can read it, and then stick it all over the locker room, with 6 copies on Dufty's locker.

Then he should phone fox sports and ask them for more. Won't they please ask Mick Ennis to comment on our defense...

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cronk forgets Roosters rarely need to defend as often get a set restart on the 4th or 5th tackle.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
And about this "trouble" he speaks of. I wonder if we can finish lower than last. Hmmmmm.
Yes. Last out of 16 is quite enough "trouble" thanks Gronk lol. We can only improve on that with this new roster.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aside from scoring more points and getting good players in who can still defend, this is where our most significant signing will pay dividends and make the biggest difference next year.

Gus has a media voice and huge influence and can rattle the NRL's cage, when the likes of Gerard 'donkey rimmer' Sutton and Ben 'cock worshipper' Cummins try to go to town on us every game. That alone will change our season massively.

mr j

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Really ??

If Kimmorley didn’t get injured in the last regular season game and Patten didn’t get knocked out early in the prelim we beat Parra and probably win the comp .

2009 was a great recruitment drive. I think this year is as well but no way in the world is it better than 2009. And certainly not by a long way
Not interested in stats right now as 2022 hasn’t played out yet. 2009 was good, I just feel the players coming in now are of better quality than the ones in 2009. Different era too. If only Kikau and Mahoney were coming next year it would close this debate quick smart.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The Bulldogs have splashed cash on some of the best attacking players in the NRL, but it will count for little if their defensive woes continue.

That’s the message from rugby league great Cooper Cronk who played in a gobsmacking nine NRL grand finals throughout his illustrious carer.

The Bulldogs - who would take just making the finals next year - have overhauled their roster after finishing second last in 2020 and collecting the wooden spoon this year.

Coach Trent Barrett arrived at the end of 2020, fresh off helping Penrith to the grand final as an assistant, and he immediately went on a signing spree.

Barrett landed Panthers trio Matt Burton, Tevita Pangai Jr and Brent Naden, Dragons duo Matt Dufty, Paul Vaughan and Storm superstar Josh Addo-Carr for the 2022 season.

Things then ramped up a notch when rugby league mastermind Phil Gould returned to Canterbury in July as the club’s general manager.

That saw the Dogs sign Eels star hooker Reed Mahoney and Panthers forward Viliame Kikau for the 2023 season.

It means in 2023, between Pangai Jr ($750,000), Addo-Carr ($500,000), Burton ($500,000), Kikau ($800,000) and Mahoney ($600,000) - the Dogs will be spending $3.15 million of their $10 million salary cap on just five players.

It will be one of the most star-studded rosters in the competition but Cronk believes the recruiting strategy has focused too much on attacking players.

The Bulldogs were one of the worst defensive teams in the NRL over the past two seasons, leaking 25.2 points per game in 2020 and 29.5 points per game in 2021.

Cronk questioned whether the Dogs have spent their cash wisely, emphasising that teams who win the competition prioritise defence.

“The Dogs had issues scoring points so they went out and bought a lot of attacking players and I don’t know if that’s the right approach for the Bulldogs,” Cronk told foxsports.com.au.

“Yes they need to score points and yes they need to have a threat but they also need to keep that (old) Bulldogs mentality about defence and that hardnose approach to winning games.

Look at the last three or four games of the season, they were low scoring and the best defensive team ended up winning the competition.”

Burton, Pangai Jr, Naden and Kikau are coming from that team but as individuals they statistically have some defensive flaws.

The quartet conceded - either a penalty or a six again - 54 times in 2021. However, Pangai Jr moved from the Broncos mid-season.

Dufty doesn’t give away penalty but he missed almost one in three tackles last season and wasn’t offered a new contract at the Dragons because of his defence.

“I’m really interested to see how the Bulldogs go, they’ve got some real talent there, Josh Addo-Carr, Burton, Pangai Jr, Vaughan, Dufty, all those guys are great players but they probably think scoring tries and creativity first,” Cronk said.

“Matt Dufty, if you believe the reports out of the Dragons, he was moved on because of his work ethic defensively.

It will be super interesting to see how Trent Barrett gets that team together.

“(Their defence) hasn’t been good enough, they’ve been down the bottom of the ladder, you can bring all the attacking flair your want to a team but if you can’t stop a team scoring points then you’re in trouble.

“They have the potential to be like the Wests Tigers in 2005 - and I’m not saying the Bulldogs will win the comp - but the Wests Tigers won the competition by outscoring the opposition.

“If they can get those attacking-mindset players to think defence first then I think the Bulldogs can climb up the ladder.

“If they don’t, they might improve just slightly.”

Surprise surprise another breaking story by Lies UnLtd, they teach us something new every day,
Thanks Coops...Now be a good boy tell us how much you are getting in your retirement fund from the Rorters :frowning:

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really ??

In 2009 the key was we recruited a genuine champion halfback in Kimmorley. Without him I don’t think we get as far as we did. We also got Ennis so that was two spine positions strengthened. This time round I think we have recruited better all round players and game breakers (TPJ, Fox) however our success depends on who fills the halfback role and how well they do it

Hulk76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Its as if the quality players we have brought in can't tackle or communicate to improve our defence. The only thing I like about Cooper Gronk is Tara Rushton grrrrrr

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Others have already mentioned the lack of go-forward from our forwards this season and how this will significantly change but I think everyone is forgetting another factor.......

Burton's Massive Boot!!!!!! We won't be camped in our defensive end anymore

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Barrett is a former SOO defensive genius, not to mention defense is my specialty.
We will score tries with this line up, all good here.