Opinion X Factor

Valley Viking

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We need to sign someone with X Factor, we have no strike across the park. The only players that can create something are Foran, Reimis & CHN. I’d go hard for Josh Ado-Carr, play him at fullback and pay him good fullback money. I’ve seen enough in his game to know he’d make a good fullback, has put on 8kg this year and if anything is faster. How much would he be on now playing wing ?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Wouldn't make a difference, Pay doesn't inspire the players with confidence to express themselves and the systems implemented are also counter productive to this. CHN can offload as good as anybody in the game right now, yet Pay fucking drops him and fails to even implement basic plays around his ability.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
its a disgrace that a fundamental of footy like backing up and running in numbers is completed neglected and has been for close to 6 years in this team..

Also our kick chases are so pathetic, its almost as though they are instructed not to compete for the ball..

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
As I said in another thread, Meaney has been safe as houses under the high ball but has done nothing else to prove he's the answer at fullback. Each game that he plays, this becomes more apparent.

The club should definitely be looking at recruiting a fullback who can provide more attacking stats than Meaneys soft runs, zero tries, line breaks and one try assist in 10 games.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I said in another thread, Meaney has been safe as houses under the high ball but has done nothing else to prove he's the answer at fullback. Each game that he plays, this becomes more apparent.

The club should definitely be looking at recruiting a fullback who can provide more attacking stats than Meaneys soft runs, zero tries, line breaks and one try assist in 10 games.
I think you’re being a bit harsh on him
It’s early in his career so let’s see if he bulks up and hones his skills
Don’t forget our team is ordinary,a change in coach could also make a difference
Meaney deserves a bit more time in all fairness

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
Would sign Fox as a winger not a FB. Don't think he can ball play. We have signed to many wingers to play FB for to long now. All the good teams number 1's can ball play, sick of putting players out of position to do a bullshit quick fix

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
its a disgrace that a fundamental of footy like backing up and running in numbers is completed neglected and has been for close to 6 years in this team..

Also our kick chases are so pathetic, its almost as though they are instructed not to compete for the ball..
I dread going to the games at the moment with our non existent attack
It feels like they haven’t trained all week to be honest
Dean hasn’t learned his trade at all as a coach

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I seriously can't believe how bad they are, what's the use of putting up a bomb with absolutely no pressure.

I've also noticed we often take penalties on the mark without trying to kick and make extra metres, and it's not when teams defences aren't set.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Will be impossible to sign addo Carr given the way he talks about Melbourne... loves the joint

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Wouldn't make a difference, Pay doesn't inspire the players with confidence to express themselves and the systems implemented are also counter productive to this. CHN can offload as good as anybody in the game right now, yet Pay fucking drops him and fails to even implement basic plays around his ability.
You can see glimpses of good play like against the raiders in patches. I still can't believe the people on here who want to make out it's all the players fault and suddenly Pay is going to be come a super coach when he gets a few new players into the team.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Aren't there already 47 active threads about this very same topic? Not specifically about Addo Carr. But I swear I have to go through 3 pages of active threads to find 3-4 topics not covering wishful thinking about signing players threads.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You can see glimpses of good play like against the raiders in patches. I still can't believe the people on here who want to make out it's all the players fault and suddenly Pay is going to be come a super coach when he gets a few new players into the team.
For the majority of games we've been pretty close on the score board. I don't think Pay is a master coach and have repeatedly said elsewhere that I thought he was not what we needed from the moment we signed him. But teams with far superior rosters and highly touted coaches are barely doing better than us in terms of games won this year.

I tendto watch patches of many games and see that teams with big fan bases constantly get screwed by refereeing decisions. And my conspiracy theory is that clubs with big fan bases will have more fans making an emotional bet on their team. Winning a bet because the team you support has been victorious is an icing on the cake thing for some people. The NRL sponsorship deal should never have been allowed to include a percentage of gambling sponsors profit. From the time that deal was set up the refereeing has been as biased as I've seen it in my 39 years of watching the game.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think you’re being a bit harsh on him
It’s early in his career so let’s see if he bulks up and hones his skills
Don’t forget our team is ordinary,a change in coach could also make a difference
Meaney deserves a bit more time in all fairness
I don't think I'm being harsh. Meaney can be used better but a new coach isn't going to make him run harder, learn to step for once, develop a fend, get some mongrel and aggression and add the 10 kgs of muscle Meaney needs to become a legit FG fullback.

He is still young, but there's nothing wrong with having depth and signing someone to provide competition.

They sign a million more second rowers so why should Meaney be the only fullback option at the whole club aside from Hoppa? The lack of competition for Meaney won't help him reach new heights. Ideally he'd work on his game in reserves but our squad is so bad we don't have that option.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
For the majority of games we've been pretty close on the score board. I don't think Pay is a master coach and have repeatedly said elsewhere that I thought he was not what we needed from the moment we signed him. But teams with far superior rosters and highly touted coaches are barely doing better than us in terms of games won this year.

I tendto watch patches of many games and see that teams with big fan bases constantly get screwed by refereeing decisions. And my conspiracy theory is that clubs with big fan bases will have more fans making an emotional bet on their team. Winning a bet because the team you support has been victorious is an icing on the cake thing for some people. The NRL sponsorship deal should never have been allowed to include a percentage of gambling sponsors profit. From the time that deal was set up the refereeing has been as biased as I've seen it in my 39 years of watching the game.
Totally agree with this!!

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think I'm being harsh. Meaney can be used better but a new coach isn't going to make him run harder, learn to step for once, develop a fend, get some mongrel and aggression and add the 10 kgs of muscle Meaney needs to become a legit FG fullback.

He is still young, but there's nothing wrong with having depth and signing someone to provide competition.

They sign a million more second rowers so why should Meaney be the only fullback option at the whole club aside from Hoppa? The lack of competition for Meaney won't help him reach new heights. Ideally he'd work on his game in reserves but our squad is so bad we don't have that option.
I agree that if a top flight fullback becomes available or any spine player for that matter then yes we should pounce because at the moment the club is on their knees,absolute rock bottom
I’m reserving judgment on all our players and possible potential,until a different coach and playing methods are introduced
Still believe it’s too early to make a call on Meaney

Last edited:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I agree that if a top flight fullback becomes available or any spine player for that matter then yes we should pounce because at the moment the club is on their knees,absolute rock bottom
I’m reserving judgment on all our players and possible potential under a different coach and playing methods
I'd be as thrilled as anyone if Meaney finally dominated a few games.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I’m reserving judgment on all our players and possible potential,until a different coach and playing methods are introduced
Our second phase play isn't offering a lot right now. I don't know if that's Pay directing the team to play it safe or confidence issues with a pretty inexperienced pack. But I'd like to see us throw caution to the wind and create more chances. We don't have a lot to lose at this stage. It's possible that it could backfire and cost us points with dropped ball. But it could also wind up letting us score more points. Early in the season plenty of our players were crucified for poor offloads and that possibly caused Pay to opt for a safe approach. Right now it could save Pays coaching career. I think that it's time for a nothing ventured, nothing gained approach.

Meaney should get his chances now. I think he's currently our best option at the back despite having not injected himself in attacking plays as I'd like. I still think he's probably going to wind up being a big part of our success when he gets his attack right. Ideally our forwards would be giving him some nice offloads to provide him chances. I don't see them looking for him actively.

If we splash out on a more attacking fullback I don't mind. But it's not like the other options we have are demanding promotion. And it's not like a lot of clubs are throwing quality fullbacks on the market. If you have good depth in key positions you hold onto it. That applies to all spine positions which is why we're taking time to make those signings. Decent forward depth is not a restrictive area, so signing players in the forwards is always an easier prospect. The success now attitude of plenty of fans is understandable, but it requires some working room in the salary cap. We may have a bit of space, but the club needs to be implementing a plan for more than next season.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
We need x-factor , we don’t have it, we want it!!

Meaney maybe not it yet, but Could be.. I’m happy to wait an see.