Would you want to be a Kennel Mod?

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Would you want to be a mod? Why?

What are the Pros & Cons?

Is it all about secret handshakes or is it just about censorship & sending people on a one way ticket to Banistan!

Thoughts?

Rep weekend, there's not much else to talk about!

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Modding is either fun or deadly dull, it basically comes down to the modding team.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
the best part about it is there is a mod lounge with all sorts of action going on in there

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
the best part about it is there is a mod lounge with all sorts of action going on in there
Here we go. What type of actions are we talking about here.

SPILL IT!

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't want to be. I just enjoy coming on here and fluffing on about our Bulldogs in my spare time in the forums.

I went through all that Moderator/Admin crap in my late teens for mainly videogame websites and am now happy to use my time actually enjoying it for what the forums were created for in the first place.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Here we go. What type of actions are we talking about here.

SPILL IT!
well who knows what is going on in there today but 5-10 years ago it was wild including sexual intercourse

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
well who knows what is going on in there today but 5-10 years ago it was wild including sexual intercourse
Is it just blokes or is there some women as well?

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I wouldn't want to be. I just enjoy coming on here and fluffing on about our Bulldogs in my spare time in the forums.

I went through all that Moderator/Admin crap in my late teens for mainly videogame websites and am now happy to use my time actually enjoying it for what the forums were created for in the first place.
I do take my hat off to the people that do it!

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Is it just blokes or is there some women as well?
ffs actually i confused the kennel mod lounge with the one on the peter andre fan forum, there was no sex on the kennel tbh but there was some good inside information

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
If there were not so many ****wits we wouldn't need mods,
But I appreciate the work they do

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Any mods out there that can list their pros & cons?

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
... I used to be a ROFL-worthy troller, but then I took a mod-stick to the knee.

Pros

- You get a crash course in entry level IT.

- You get a crash course in the psychology of online users.

- It's a talking point on your CV if you use it right ... (ie : At my work, part of my job entails social media management and IT tech support. I had to demonstrate skills and abilities to upper managers to get the role and when asked I stated something like "part of a volunteer team of content moderators responsible for ensuring 15,000 accounts, over 100 threads and 5,000+posts daily, are published online in a manner that best represents the club and it's fans" {Quote-Unquote})

- Occasionally ... you're a conduit for "good" outcomes for the club and the fans. (ie: If some noob comes along and posts for help, and we can steer them in the right direction, invariably they'll look to a mod for guidance. When that turns into a positive for the club/fans down the track, it kinda feels nice.)

Cons

- By and large, I've learned to assume everybody online is mentally ill to some degree (raises hand as 'guilty'), and the grind of dealing with certain personality types can wear you down.

- Posters will track you down on social media and air their grievances there when they're banned ... it's like this ...

Them : (after finding my real name online) "So and so told me you're CK from The Kennel ! ... Tell that Mr Invisibits he's a blah, blah, blah with no life and a small cawk, and if I ever see him at a game I'm gonna do this, and I'm gonna do that, and I'm gonna blow his f*ckin house down !"
Me : "Mate, I come to Facebook to have time-out from The Kennel ... I don't know what your username is, why you're banned, or when it happened, because I've been at work for the last 8 hours. Sorry."

- People forget we're volunteers. Admin chose us based on our posting activity and general rapport with others. None of us 'asked' to be a mod. Me personally, I refused the first offer, took up the second, lost it for a year for being a bit of a d*ck, threw my hat in the ring again (once I got my sh*t sorted), and got back on the wagon.

- Occasionally ... it can overwhelm you. When sh*t hits the fan and we're being bombarded with new user sign-ups, a flame war between 8 users, a boatload of sudden spambots and reported posts from upset users resulting in multiple bannings ... before you know it, it's 11:30pm, and any plans for a good night rest have gone out the window. You stop and think "Sh*t, did I even anything fun tonight ?"

- It changes your posting habits : Rodzilla, Ghost Of Dime and our newest favourite hick South Of Heaven are three examples of posters I'd miss if they became mods. I like them the quirky/irreverent way they are already, and by saddling them with extra responsibilites it erodes what we enjoy. If I wasn't mod, I'd be going to town on half you fux ! :p

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
- Occasionally ... it can overwhelm you. When sh*t hits the fan and we're being bombarded with new user sign-ups, a flame war between 8 users, a boatload of sudden spambots and reported posts from upset users resulting in multiple bannings ... before you know it, it's 11:30pm, and any plans for a good night rest have gone out the window. You stop and think "Sh*t, did I even anything fun tonight ?"

- It changes your posting habits : Rodzilla, Ghost Of Dime and our newest favourite hick South Of Heaven are three examples of posters I'd miss if they became mods. I like them the quirky/irreverent way they are already, and by saddling them with extra responsibilites it erodes what we enjoy. If I wasn't mod, I'd be going to town on half you fux ! :p
ffs how about the time some asshole spent the whole afternoon just digging up old threads and poor old rodzilla was the only mod in town, that was the reason i stood down lol i wasted an hour or so cleaning up when i had things to do and playstations to play tbh

oh and i didnt change my posting habits as a mod but i was pretty much ineffective because i was worse than the things i was supposed to clean up so i didnt do anything

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
ffs how about the time some asshole spent the whole afternoon just digging up old threads and poor old rodzilla was the only mod in town, that was the reason i stood down lol i wasted an hour or so cleaning up when i had things to do and playstations to play tbh
Might edit my 'cons' to reflect this ...

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Great post CK...

HAHAHA I can have a guess at who the mystery threat was from. :lol:

Well actually this week special guest in 'the lounge' was Konrad Hurrell. Boy that sucked!

PROS
1. I see it as a way of being able to give back to a forum that I enjoy and appreciate being part of.
2. Most users are actually really good an appreciative of your efforts.
3. For me, it's an extension of my day to day job, so allows me to use some of my IT experience to go towards forum functions.
4. Finding new ways spammers are trying to exploit the forum.
5. Working alongside fellow mods towards a common goal, and welcoming new members to the team.
6. Working behind the scenes with fellow mods and admins to better the forum into the future (some really exciting things just around the corner).

CONS
1. We are all volunteers, and whilst most users are pretty good (post ban), you always get the odd backlash from posters if they are banned, or think you are clamping down too much.
2. A VERY fine line between too much moderation and not enough.
3. When theres a massive shitfight, you've had a long day at work, and come back to a cleanup spanning several pages.
4. When spambots come to town. Last final series we had a mass influx of new signups, and when a huge chunk of them turned to be active spambots, all hell broke loose on here.
5. When the new breed of spammers join here, and use Albums to spam. Pain in the arse as there is no easy way to remove them, short of clicking into each album, removing each albums content, then the album itself. Rinse and repeat about 30 times per spam user.

That said major changes has really helped cut down the spammers from what we used to have.

Also I have very little online prescence at all.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I've had people at work talk to me about you Mr Invisible

"Do you know that Mr Invisible idiot?"

I am guessing you must have crossed over to the Silvertails forum at some stage :D

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I've had people at work talk to me about you Mr Invisible

"Do you know that Mr Invisible idiot?"

I am guessing you must have crossed over to the Silvertails forum at some stage :D
Easiest way to describe why I'm hated over there, is that their fans live in the past. It's like being a Jew in 1940s Germany over there. Unless you are this, this and this, (aka blue eyes, blond hair, fair skin), then you are an outsider and get cast out.

The owner of the sites a good bloke, and happy to have others around. Not so the members.

It would be the equivalent to anyone on here supporting another club joining up to say hi, and copping a blasting for not being a Bulldogs fan, and then copping a second blasting because the site owner is happy for them to be on the site. Cue endless trolling and abusive comments as a result. Really really stupid if you ask me.

Half their members don't even reside in NSW... but instead around Wynnum - Manly in Brisbane :lol:

Thus it's kinda true as to why they "don't travel", because many of their members are interstate. It's like they are constantly angry that they should be supporting the Broncos.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There seems to be a fair few of you mods so I guess all of you share the load (work) & then enjoy the spoils (bit more work).

Must seem like a thankless job at times!

Also who pays or how do you raise funds for it? I assume the advertising at the top of the page would not be enough?

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
... I used to be a ROFL-worthy troller, but then I took a mod-stick to the knee.

Pros

- You get a crash course in entry level IT.

- You get a crash course in the psychology of online users.

- It's a talking point on your CV if you use it right ... (ie : At my work, part of my job entails social media management and IT tech support. I had to demonstrate skills and abilities to upper managers to get the role and when asked I stated something like "part of a volunteer team of content moderators responsible for ensuring 15,000 accounts, over 100 threads and 5,000+posts daily, are published online in a manner that best represents the club and it's fans" {Quote-Unquote})

- Occasionally ... you're a conduit for "good" outcomes for the club and the fans. (ie: If some noob comes along and posts for help, and we can steer them in the right direction, invariably they'll look to a mod for guidance. When that turns into a positive for the club/fans down the track, it kinda feels nice.)

Cons

- By and large, I've learned to assume everybody online is mentally ill to some degree (raises hand as 'guilty'), and the grind of dealing with certain personality types can wear you down.

- Posters will track you down on social media and air their grievances there when they're banned ... it's like this ...

Them : (after finding my real name online) "So and so told me you're CK from The Kennel ! ... Tell that Mr Invisibits he's a blah, blah, blah with no life and a small cawk, and if I ever see him at a game I'm gonna do this, and I'm gonna do that, and I'm gonna blow his f*ckin house down !"
Me : "Mate, I come to Facebook to have time-out from The Kennel ... I don't know what your username is, why you're banned, or when it happened, because I've been at work for the last 8 hours. Sorry."

- People forget we're volunteers. Admin chose us based on our posting activity and general rapport with others. None of us 'asked' to be a mod. Me personally, I refused the first offer, took up the second, lost it for a year for being a bit of a d*ck, threw my hat in the ring again (once I got my sh*t sorted), and got back on the wagon.

Spot On!
I remember when the sh!t hit the fan when we were having issues such as Salary cap and the Coffs rubbish, people were joining faster than we could count.
I banned over 10 trolls in a couple of hours, ahh the memories