Opinion Would you wait til 2024 if we can get Todd Payten ?

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
People acting like they are playing Pro Soccer Manager and can just sign anyone, no way he leaves for us.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would cows let him go if hes working out there? And what's this nonsense he also did well at Warriors. Nobody has done well at Warriors. No from me.
2020 Before Payten took over as interim head coach, the Warriors were 14th and had won just two of their first six games. Under Payten they won six of their last 14 games and finished four points outside the top 8.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
2020 Before Payten took over as interim head coach, the Warriors were 14th and had won just two of their first six games. Under Payten they won six of their last 14 games and finished four points outside the top 8.
6 of 14 isn't a good reference

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
6 of 14 isn't a good reference
I guess it's okay after they were coming 14th and had only won 2 games of six. It's more they started playing heaps better when he became coach. Maybe they lost some close games also. I can't remember. Whatever happened it was enough to impress the Cowboys. It's the main reason he got his current job

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you Papa Joe. A very interesting read your take on this. I 100% agree with you also in everything you said and that Payten is the next super coach. No-one has achieved what he's done recently and he's done it with TWO average rosters. One would be enough. Your bit about Ricky Stuart scares me too but we have to believe Gus is smarter than that. That would seem a desperation move by Gus too and he would know it.

You came to this realisation all about Payten sooner than me. Only a couple of weeks ago I was still hoping and confident we would be signing Flanagan but the longer it's dragged on I just couldn't understand if it was Flanagan why Gus wouldn't announce it now. There's no reason not too. It doesn't make sense.

It's frustrating when Gus keeps saying he's not in a hurry when there's 2 other clubs competing for the best coaches even though they're both shit but money and opportunity can talk especially for desperate people like Flanagan. I seriously believe Gus has more brains than to hire Fittler. Fittler goes against what Gus has said publicly we need. Gus would also have intimate inside knowledge that Fittler is nothing special.

Gus has publicly backed Payten twice now on issues. He obviously has respect for Payten's opinion. If Gus pulls off signing Payten it will be a masterstroke and Gus would know that too. He would secretly love the admiration he'd achieve from such a move (a bit like when he surprised everyone by signing Kikau but much bigger). Gus says he doesn't care what the media says about him and to a certain extent that's true but he has a huge ego and loves being labelled the smartest man in the game. Who wouldn't ?

If I were a betting man I'd be putting my money on Payten to be announced as our coach for 2024 and I'd then double up on him getting an early release by the Cows for 2023.

This September if Gus has to announce "something" it may be that Potter has been extended. Payten's signing will follow as soon as it can be made public. If Payten then gets an early release Potter becomes assistant coach by default.
This rules Stuart out thank f..

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
If we continue to show signs of improvement over the next month, just give the job to Potter, ffs. Not Flanagan, not Woolf not Ciraldo and certainly not Fittler. Not Potter in 2023 then Payten, not Potter in 2023 then Bellamy (who would not come here anyway. He has had numerous chances to leave Melbourne and has chosen to stay. I think he will coach them til the day he retires). Just Potter.

We have a coach who understands the club and is doing a fantastic job so far. If he continues to deliver, why look anywhere else?

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
If we continue to show signs of improvement over the next month, just give the job to Potter, ffs. Not Flanagan, not Woolf not Ciraldo and certainly not Fittler. Not Potter in 2023 then Payten, not Potter in 2023 then Bellamy (who would not come here anyway. He has had numerous chances to leave Melbourne and has chosen to stay. I think he will coach them til the day he retires). Just Potter.

We have a coach who understands the club and is doing a fantastic job so far. If he continues to deliver, why look anywhere else?
Agreed and got us playing well when all seemed lost and we are an apparent basket case,ive said all season this team should be playing alot better than what it has been

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This rules Stuart out thank f..
That's like winning the Coaching Lotto for our Club.

Let's just hope he really means what he says.

Interesting moving forward now is if Ricky Stuart decides to Retire at the end of 2023 when his contract expires.

Todd Payten is a local Canberra Boy and I believe his wife is also from here as per one of their social pages apparently, remembering Todd is Off Contract for 2024.

And the coaching "Days Of Our Lives" continues.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's like winning the Coaching Lotto for our Club.

Let's just hope he really means what he says.

Interesting moving forward now is if Ricky Stuart decides to Retire at the end of 2023 when his contract expires.

Todd Payten is a local Canberra Boy and I believe his wife is also from here as per one of their social pages apparently, remembering Todd is Off Contract for 2024.

And the coaching "Days Of Our Lives" continues.
Just like I was saying now there's an article today saying the Dogs are thinking of extending Potter for another 12 months. If it happens Payten has to be the real plan, not Ciraldo.