Opinion Would you take a punt on Anthony Milford?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He should be begging Bellamy to sign him.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I dunno about Junior Junior Baz.
Still seems too big for his boots.
We’ve had Napa and The Flange, I’m not sure I want another Bondi discard as a ‘told you so’?
Yeah, I am not his biggest fan as a human but we need to do something left field if we want to quickly regain some momentum.

Pierce has always been in the top couple of half backs and is way better than ShaunJohnson that many on here wanted. He is a genuine halfback he has the guts to go to the line and defends pretty well. He is way above Napa/Flange in talent and track record and isn’t brittle like Foran.

He signed with the Knights next year on 450 so he is cheap enough. We have gone so long without a real halfback I think some haven’t forgotten what a real one is. Bugger getting a Milford or Sezer stop gap. Bring in Poodle man. (Maybe he can bring Ponga with Him…

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
He signed with the Knights next year on 450
I think that’s key.
If he was available for 2022 maybe (and I agree better than SJ) - but in 2023? By then Burton has had a year and surely we know whether Averillo will cut it (unless he will play fullback as is speculated somewhat).

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Need to invest our money in the forward pack. We got absolutely dominated. Shane Flanagan talked a lot of shit but one thing he was right on is our forwards never won the first contact battle to get momentum. Our backs aren't flash admittedly but we have made improvements on that for next year. We need to prioritise a hooker (hopefully Hodgson), TPJ then maybe look at a Dufty/Milford on the cheap to play fullback.

Our biggest recruit needs to be Wayne Bennett coming in as Head of Football/Consultant. I couldn't care less about his title but get him involved. Listening to his press conference yesterday pumped me up.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a suggestion but we all know the potential that Anthony Milford has and the only reason his reputation took a hit was because he was on a million dollars and wasn’t performing towards the end of his contract and could possibly benefit from a change…. Still only 26 would you take him on a reduced contract knowing that he could cover multiple positions?

No need for nasty comments please, just opinions.
1 year 200K with incentives

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think that’s key.
If he was available for 2022 maybe (and I agree better than SJ) - but in 2023? By then Burton has had a year and surely we know whether Averillo will cut it (unless he will play fullback as is speculated somewhat).
I reckon the Knights would offload him. We can throw in a Flange and a Nappa with a side of Waddles…

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
bigger question would you take Woods for $300K a season for 2 years? more realistic I think.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Much rather sego… we could use a 9 with attacking flare

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think Milf falls into that ‘at the right price’ category and also depending on who else we sign. Im not sure our juniors are quite ready for 2022, it’s not Baz’s plan but we might need some band aids for 12mths. And this probably isnt popular to say but there are a number of players I’d consider for 1yr + club option contracts at rock bottom prices (I’d be happy to miss out if they don’t play ball), $250-$300k range take it or leave for a few players who might struggle for contracts, guys like Milf, Woods, Fergo, Again, 1yr deals, band aids and in my humble opinion, mostly still better options than we have now, better than re-signing some of these guys and they come with experience our juniors don’t offer. Whilst I’m not a huge fan, for the right price Woods is better for 2022 than say Britt, Fergo better than Chrichton, Milf better than Lewis.

Malla

Reaction score
He's definitely not the same player but he's been hung out to dry by Brisbane and their media.

He should be trying to get to Melb or even back to Canberra.

Would take him for 250k but.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
yeah I think $300K for Woods is ok, we may actually get some offloads and 2nd phase play.
Thompson/TPJ/Jackson/Woods/Hetherington/Ava...it's a better middle rotation than what we have now I guess.