Opinion Would Sailor be a good acquisition for our club??

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
100%

Wendell Sailor at 40 years of age would suit us to a tee.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The question is will he call dean lol

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Sailor might be good as backup but I think we need some experience.

talented kids are cool but they are projects.

Jackson bird would be handy.
I’m not sure how a 33 year old fast bowler will help us but anything is worth a shot to stop people whingeing

Malla

Reaction score
He's ok. Nothing special, I don't blame Mary for keeping him in reggies. His defense was shocking when he played 6 but then again I think fullback is his best position anyway.

Would be a low risk investment, but I think generally as a club we should be passed these type of signings. Invest in our juniors and current crop (ie. Averillo) and look to bring someone in that actually has staying power in first grade. Sailor is unproven, just like other signings similar to this, we'll go through a 18 to 24 month cycle of giving him time to prove himself and then it'll turn to shit.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
no.

Stop going for random hoodrat wingers.

He cant make the spoon team ffs. Nasheed.
Hoodrat? Because he's black he has to be from the hood even though his Dad earned millions of dollars and Tristan would have grown up with more money than most people?

Is that also a typo like abo and n***a were in all your other posts? Enough with the racist shit man. You're not funny. Talk footy or shut the fuck up.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't mind if we got him but wouldn't worry if we missed out. He's a project player.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Explained in the other thread why this is no brainer, really don't know why people would be against this.

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would we want to sign someone who has hardly played any first grade?
Better off to breed average backs and save our money for seasoned first graders/guns who are arguably the best in their position.
With exception to players like Grant and B.Smith who are not far off being top tier or at least second tier standard.
An outside back that can’t get a run at St.George.. no thanks!
Seems pointless to me.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Explained in the other thread why this is no brainer, really don't know why people would be against this.
Until we sign him and then he’s shit

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
no.

Stop going for random wingers.

He cant make the spoon team ffs. Nasheed.
Theres a reason they’re a spoon team.
Mary can’t spot talent.
Sailor’s a good’un.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why do we want him for? If we sign him for 5/8, lewis will be picked before him. Fb, dwz and meaney. Centre, montoya and holland are in front of him. Wing, crichton. We have all the positions he can play covered. Lol

Seriously, based on positions he can play, isnt he similar to averillo?

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope, dont need him

I've always rated Hoppa as a good fullback. He doesnt have speed but he has great hands, very safe and organises the defence well from the back. He always ices the overlaps as well.

There are other areas we need to strengthen before fullback. Hooker and the halves especially

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
If he’d come cheap and was willing to earn his spot (which doesn’t sound like he is at saints) then he would be worth something around a minimum or just above.

in my books Meaney and hoppa are ahead of him. Only difference is you don’t know if this guy will become anything and jury is still out. Is it worth a punt? Or better off spending more and getting someone that can perform from day 1.

There are plenty of players like him around at the moment. And with no u20s or reserve grade they would be looking for a chance to even train with the big boys let alone have an opportunity at lining up this year. We should be smashing the phones to see if anyone is available. We could get someone like grant. Nrl ready just stuck behind a few players.

Hope pay and the Anderson’s know what they are doing. If we re-sign tolman I’m done :p :sleepy:
Your point about the 20s and reserve grade situation is very valid - even if just giving consideration to u20s there would be over 200 players who are missing out on the opportunity to impress for contracts - good recruitment programs will ensure clubs will know who the quality players are. Opportunity to play will be a strong incentive - maybe as much as the dollars on offer.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think Hoppa is good for us the next season or 2 at the back while our younger guys come thru. A gun centre, hooker and bad ass intimidating prop is what I would chase with our money. Not sold on Sailor.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Nope, dont need him

I've always rated Hoppa as a good fullback. He doesnt have speed but he has great hands, very safe and organises the defence well from the back. He always ices the overlaps as well.

There are other areas we need to strengthen before fullback. Hooker and the halves especially
Don't need him? Bro have you seen our backs hahaha. Genuine footy sense, pace and footwork...brings a lot of what we lack and I'd throw him straight in at centre (has played there before). Kid would've done far more damage than Smith if he was playing in place of him.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't need him? Bro have you seen our backs hahaha. Genuine footy sense, pace and footwork...brings a lot of what we lack and I'd throw him straight in at centre (has played there before). Kid would've done far more damage than Smith if he was playing in place of him.
You’d buy him and throw him straight into centre in first grade? Christ you should’ve been a recruitment advisor to Crusher Cleal.

Kids 80kg dripping wet and is an ordinary defender. Please.