World team, featuring two bulldogs and 4 englishmen announced (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Why?

No poms.

Toey .H.C.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i agree with habib. the side he named is the best in the world

(((((SMACK)))))

Jados Boutros
Reaction score
For once I would have to agree with the selectors. Just on that Tri series alone and the amount of games each player took part in.

ajm

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Interesting to say the least.
I think its fair to say that the ESL is no where near the standard of the NRL but thats not to say some of the English players should be selected.
But if they are serious they should go on form and Webke for example had a great final but his form in the rest of the tri nations games and most of the season was just not up there.
With Farrell its hard for me to comment as I only saw a few of the games and he really didn't set the world on fire, maybe he did in the games I didn't see.

I can understand there are many reasons why an English player would not come to Australia to play and its not just the money, its family and home too. But what used to make me laugh was some of the Kiwis like the Paul brothers that took the easier option instead of trying the NRL.

MR GEORGE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
willie tonga has come of age. first could not make first grade at parra and now selected for the world team. what a difference in one year.

lockyer

Kennel Established
Reaction score
MrCharisma said:
There is a difference between loyality and blind loyality. I'm big enough of a person to say that Andy Farrell is better then Andy Ryan. The same way Craig Fitzgibbon and Nathan Hindmarsh are better then Andy Ryan.... does that make me a Rooster or Parramatta fan, No...

Give props when props are due!

As for the rest of the side, your telling me that

Sing and Meli are better then Carney?
Petro or Ryles are better then Fielden?
Berrigan or Vagana are better then Senior?

Because if you were, you clearly watched a different Tri-Series then the rest of the world.... perhaps you remembered a game you played on the Rugby League game on the PS2.

everything you say is true but im o Petero is better than Fielden... If you watch a lot of Broncos games, you will see how important Civo is to our team... He may not be as flashy as some other props in the modern game, but he really gets the ball rolling sometimes.

As for Berrigan, he had a very dissapointing tri-nations tour and has been a bitter dissapointment towards the second half of the NRL season.

M

MrCharisma

lockyer said:
everything you say is true but im o Petero is better than Fielden... If you watch a lot of Broncos games, you will see how important Civo is to our team... He may not be as flashy as some other props in the modern game, but he really gets the ball rolling sometimes.

As for Berrigan, he had a very dissapointing tri-nations tour and has been a bitter dissapointment towards the second half of the NRL season.
The problem with your arguement is that you mainly talk about the season which the article doesn't talk about. It's the best players of the Tri-Nations tour. Petro I think had been average.... had done nothing flash but hasnt nothing anything wrong.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Habib said:
The World's best 13:

1.Luke Patten
2.Hazem El-Masri
3.Jamaal Lolesi
4.Willie Tonga
5.Matt Utai
6.Braith Anasta
7.Brent Sherwin
8.Mark O'meley
9.Adam Perry
10.Roy Asotasi
11.Willie Mason
12.Andrew Ryan
13.Tony Grimaldi

14.Reni Maitua
15.Corey Hughes
16.Sonny Bill Williams
17.Jonathan Thurston
I like the inclusion of Luke Patten in that side :grinning:

daniel

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Bulldogs players Willie Tonga and Sonny Bill Williams made the World XIII which was named by Rugby League World Magazine on Friday for the year 2004. Here is the full side:
1.Minichiello
2.Carney
3.Senior
4.Tonga
5.Rooney
6.Lockyer
7.Kimmorley
8.Webcke
9.Buderus
10.Fielden
11.Farrell
12.Hindmarsh
13.Williams

The side was selected by journalists from the 3 countries , Darren Lockyer was the only unanimous decision in the team at five eighth , the rest were selected by majority of votes , Australia dominates selection with 8 players in the side , Great Britain with 4 , and Sonny Bill Williams is the only kiwi to make the team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.