Opinion Working Week vs Work/Life Balance.

What are your thoughts on the working week?

• I'd prefer 6 x 6.5 hr weeks, with 1 day off.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'd prefer 5 x 8 hr weeks, with 2 days off.

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I'd prefer 4 x 10 hr weeks, with 3 days off.

Votes: 15 83.3%
  • I'd prefer another arrangement (detailed below).

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
@Mr Invisible

I seen an office worker this morning hard at work browsing Facebook.

I was about to barge in and ask if he earns more money than me? Because I'll change careers!

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm interested to hear peoples opinions on this one.

The normal working week is seen as 35-40 hours (5 days x 8 hours) based on a 9-5 day.

For the purpose of this thread lets say 8 hours a working day.

Nowadays with longer travel times to work, peoples work/life balance is being skewed and stretched even more, and with 5 days on and 2 days off, is it time we started to review the 5 day working week.

This could be done in the following way:
4 x 10 hr days (instead of 9-5 either 8-6, 9-7 or even 10-8), allowing for either Sat/Sun/Mon, Fri/Sat/Sun, or even Sat/Sun/Wed off.

Interested to hear what people think... personally I'd be happier to work an extra 2 hours a day and have a 3 day weekend every week.
Given my working day is expected to be
7:30 am to 5:00pm 5 days a week
(More often than not I do 7:00 to 6:00)

A 40 hour week would be amazing

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I worked in a place that expected you to work at least 10 hours a day for 5 days a week.

As it was an international business, head office in europe would start their day at our 6pm.. so always an impromptu meeting a d some work.

There are stories of a guy regularly working 9am-midnight and he even went 24 hours a few times. Recently he did a 9am-6.30am.. went home and was back at 9am.

His wife used to come and check if he was there.. poor bastard was at his desk, she thought he had another women... but nup he was at his desk.

Every night the boss would walk around at 7pm and offer to buy people dinner. On principle I never accepted. Just wanted to get out of there.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Given my working day is expected to be
7:30 am to 5:00pm 5 days a week
(More often than not I do 7:00 to 6:00)

A 40 hour week would be amazing
Last time I did 40 hour weeks when I was studying full time lol

I'd blow my load if I were able to do even 20 hours now.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
It's not about church and the Catholic Sabbath, if it were about religion, the day of rest would be Saturday to suit the owners of this world.

do you know most of the electrical home appliances are K-certified or Kosher-certified and they wont work on Saturdays.

they have a sabath mode built in which you can turn on and off if you don't want the sabath mode . Some appliances you cant even turn off.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
do you know most of the electrical home appliances are K-certified or Kosher-certified and they wont work on Saturdays.

they have a sabath mode built in which you can turn on and off if you don't want the sabath mode . Some appliances you cant even turn off.
Yep.

Even the crossing signals in the jew areas of Sydney are automatic for Sabbath.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
@Mr Invisible

I’ve been going on for years about a workplace reformation.

I always thought I was the only one smart enough to understand most people would be happier working 3x12 hour shifts and having 5 days off?

I’ve always said most people would prefer to get ther 8 hour a day/5 days a week out of the way in 3-4 days!

Even a workplace where you work 9 hour days and just work half a day on Friday.

Either way they need to look at reforming the working week.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Interesting discussion going on here :grinning:

Much like me in my last job. Started out 10am - 6pm Mon to Fri (which worked well as wife is a shift worker working nights and often gets home around 1-2AM on event nights). After the first year that changed to 10am - 7pm (as well as working trade events). Shortly after that I was asked to work 9am - 8pm 5 days a week. Then came a demand to be available at all hours for calls (which often meant calls of a night or like 7/8AM), and that included public holidays and whilst on holidays.

In the end that business hit financial trouble which lead to bullying/harassment towards me, and eventual redundancy.

Thing is, those hours and demands wore me down to the point I was heading towards burning out, and the bullying/harassment just tipped things over the end when I left there.

Still rebuilding myself over 12 months on, and it's got me approaching the whole job market cautiously as to not end up putting myself in a similar situation to the past (or spending longer time getting to/from work).

That's actually a good point.

Not sure if they still do but Virgin Money used to have a policy whereby they didn't have set hours (for some positions). You had "x" amount of work to get done that week. Finish it in a day and you had the rest of the week off, or work a few hours a day and work 7 days. As long as the work was done they were happy.

I guess it's what works for the business and the employee. For example if you had a young family 12hr days might be tricky. But if you had no kids, 3 x 12 hr days ... I'd rock that pretty easily with a lunch and dinner break.

Funnily I'm not a morning person at all, but of a night my mind clicks in really well.
Everyone is different bro. I wasn’t a morning person but when I started working in IT I changed myself to wake up early etc... and being on call and what have you makes a big difference. I’ve since left the IT sector, however still a morning person as other commitments require me to leave early. Government agencies also have to embrace flexibility.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Are you kidding me? FMD...
No joke bro, it was in the media when they first implemented it.

It's nice for them and doesn't really bother anyone else, but of course you get the stereotypical ones that wanked all over it to push their agendas and talking embarrassing shit, like one Bondi rabbi claimed "this compares to the plight of Moses" and "finally Australia welcomes the chosen people"

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
BUMP

Interesting article.... seems the winds of change are seen by some.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ss-lead-companies-try-four-day-work-week.html

More companies are turning to FOUR-DAY weeks around the world - and report higher productivity, more motivated staff and less 'burnout'
  • A director who implemented the idea said the workplace is now much healthier
  • Britain's Trades Union is pushing for a four-day week by the end of the century
  • The TUC argues a shorter week allows workers to share in the wealth generated by new technologies
Companies who have cut their working week by a day have found that it resulted it higher productivity and more motivated employees.

Founder of Berlin-based project management software company Planio, Jan Schulz-Hofen, introduced the four-day week to his staff earlier this year and said it is much healthier now they don't work 'crazy hours'.

An insurance company in New Zealand, Perpetual Guardian, also reported a fall in stress and a rise in staff engagement after it tested a 32-hour week.

Britain's Trades Union Congress (TUC) is pushing for the country to move to a four-day week by the end of the century, a drive supported by the Labour party.

The TUC argues that a shorter week is a way for workers to share in the wealth generated by new technologies like machine learning and robotics, just as they won the right to the weekend off during the industrial revolution.

TUC economic head Kate Bell said: 'It would reduce the stress of juggling working and family life and could improve gender equality. Companies that have already tried it say it's better for productivity and staff well-being.'

Even in Japan, the government is encouraging companies to allow Monday mornings off, although other schemes in the workaholic country to persuade employees to take it easy have had little effect.

Lucie Greene, trends expert at consultancy J. Walter Thompson, said there was a growing backlash against overwork, underlined by a wave of criticism after Tesla boss Elon Musk tweeted that 'nobody ever changed the world on 40 hours a week.'

She added: 'People are starting to take a step back from the 24-hour digital life we have now and realize the mental health issues from being constantly connected to work.'

A recent survey of 3,000 employees in eight countries including the United States, Britain and Germany found that nearly half thought they could easily finish their tasks in five hours a day if they did not have interruptions.

But many are exceeding 40 hours a week anyway - with the United States leading the way, where 49 percent said they worked overtime.

'There has been work creep. Because you always have the technology, you are always working, so people are getting burned out,' said Dan Schawbel, director of executive development firm Future Workplace, which conducted the survey.

Schulz-Hofen, a 36-year-old software engineer, tested the four-day week on himself after realising he needed to slow down following a decade of intense work launching Planio, whose tools allowed him to track his time in detail.

'I didn't get less work done in four days than in five because in five days, you think you have more time, you take longer, you allow yourself to have more interruptions, you have your coffee a bit longer or chat with colleagues,' Schulz-Hofen said.

'I realized with four days, I have to be quick, I have to be focused if I want to have my free Friday.'

Schulz-Hofen and his team discussed various options before settling on everybody working Monday to Thursday. They rejected the idea of flexible hours because it adds administrative complexity, and were against a five-day week with shorter hours as it is too easy for overwork to creep back in.

Clients who call on a Friday hear a recorded message explaining why nobody is at the office.

'We got an unexpected reaction from customers. Most of our clients did not complain. They were just jealous,' Schulz-Hofen said.

Grey New York, an ad agency owned by WPP, launched a program in April to allow staff to work a four-day week for 85 percent of their full-time salary.

Schawbel expects the idea to catch on in more companies and countries, but probably not his own: 'I think America will be the last country to give us Monday mornings off because we're so used to this way of working.'

Wahesh

Reaction score
BUMP

Interesting article.... seems the winds of change are seen by some.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ss-lead-companies-try-four-day-work-week.html

More companies are turning to FOUR-DAY weeks around the world - and report higher productivity, more motivated staff and less 'burnout'
  • A director who implemented the idea said the workplace is now much healthier
  • Britain's Trades Union is pushing for a four-day week by the end of the century
  • The TUC argues a shorter week allows workers to share in the wealth generated by new technologies
Companies who have cut their working week by a day have found that it resulted it higher productivity and more motivated employees.

Founder of Berlin-based project management software company Planio, Jan Schulz-Hofen, introduced the four-day week to his staff earlier this year and said it is much healthier now they don't work 'crazy hours'.

An insurance company in New Zealand, Perpetual Guardian, also reported a fall in stress and a rise in staff engagement after it tested a 32-hour week.

Britain's Trades Union Congress (TUC) is pushing for the country to move to a four-day week by the end of the century, a drive supported by the Labour party.

The TUC argues that a shorter week is a way for workers to share in the wealth generated by new technologies like machine learning and robotics, just as they won the right to the weekend off during the industrial revolution.

TUC economic head Kate Bell said: 'It would reduce the stress of juggling working and family life and could improve gender equality. Companies that have already tried it say it's better for productivity and staff well-being.'

Even in Japan, the government is encouraging companies to allow Monday mornings off, although other schemes in the workaholic country to persuade employees to take it easy have had little effect.

Lucie Greene, trends expert at consultancy J. Walter Thompson, said there was a growing backlash against overwork, underlined by a wave of criticism after Tesla boss Elon Musk tweeted that 'nobody ever changed the world on 40 hours a week.'

She added: 'People are starting to take a step back from the 24-hour digital life we have now and realize the mental health issues from being constantly connected to work.'

A recent survey of 3,000 employees in eight countries including the United States, Britain and Germany found that nearly half thought they could easily finish their tasks in five hours a day if they did not have interruptions.

But many are exceeding 40 hours a week anyway - with the United States leading the way, where 49 percent said they worked overtime.

'There has been work creep. Because you always have the technology, you are always working, so people are getting burned out,' said Dan Schawbel, director of executive development firm Future Workplace, which conducted the survey.

Schulz-Hofen, a 36-year-old software engineer, tested the four-day week on himself after realising he needed to slow down following a decade of intense work launching Planio, whose tools allowed him to track his time in detail.

'I didn't get less work done in four days than in five because in five days, you think you have more time, you take longer, you allow yourself to have more interruptions, you have your coffee a bit longer or chat with colleagues,' Schulz-Hofen said.

'I realized with four days, I have to be quick, I have to be focused if I want to have my free Friday.'

Schulz-Hofen and his team discussed various options before settling on everybody working Monday to Thursday. They rejected the idea of flexible hours because it adds administrative complexity, and were against a five-day week with shorter hours as it is too easy for overwork to creep back in.

Clients who call on a Friday hear a recorded message explaining why nobody is at the office.

'We got an unexpected reaction from customers. Most of our clients did not complain. They were just jealous,' Schulz-Hofen said.

Grey New York, an ad agency owned by WPP, launched a program in April to allow staff to work a four-day week for 85 percent of their full-time salary.

Schawbel expects the idea to catch on in more companies and countries, but probably not his own: 'I think America will be the last country to give us Monday mornings off because we're so used to this way of working.'
I'd be happy to do these provided that at the end of day 2, we have a work from home day on day 3 or day 4 (optional) - because 10-12 hours shifts can be pretty long when you consider 1 hour travel (each way) meaning the physical aspect of the day could be 12-14 hours. The WTH day would mean you cut out getting out of bed early, prepping for work and travel... that would cut out a big chunk of tiring activities. I'd likely take day 3 as WFH day because day 4 which is likely to be a Friday people tend to go out after work for drinks and what have you.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
From my experience, most people work far more than 9-5

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I'd be happy to do these provided that at the end of day 2, we have a work from home day on day 3 or day 4 (optional) - because 10-12 hours shifts can be pretty long when you consider 1 hour travel (each way) meaning the physical aspect of the day could be 12-14 hours. The WTH day would mean you cut out getting out of bed early, prepping for work and travel... that would cut out a big chunk of tiring activities. I'd likely take day 3 as WFH day because day 4 which is likely to be a Friday people tend to go out after work for drinks and what have you.
Work from Home works well for the employer too as they cut down on the amount of space required in their office (and in CBD workspace is expensive).

Wahesh

Reaction score
Work from Home works well for the employer too as they cut down on the amount of space required in their office (and in CBD workspace is expensive).
I actually don't like working from home believe it or not. It's far too quiet and boring. I actually spend most of my time sleeping on my bed with the laptop next to me and only action it if an email comes in (at which point my phone will beep). The only good thing about WFH is you don't need to get dressed or travel.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I actually don't like working from home believe it or not. It's far too quiet and boring. I actually spend most of my time sleeping on my bed with the laptop next to me and only action it if an email comes in (at which point my phone will beep). The only good thing about WFH is you don't need to get dressed or travel.
Yeah I think going into an office formalises (psychologically) "okay time for work", and then at home "okay time to relax".

Too much working from home and your brain associates it as work... hence you don't enjoy "home" as much as you feel constantly at work.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
2x20hr days cooking meth, the fumes will keep me awake and focused. 5 days a week off retire in 5 years cha-ching.

Breaking Bad has realigned my ambitions