Not open for further replies.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Woods thankful for judiciary decision
Mon 13 Nov, 2017, 6:30pm
By Michael Chammas‌, Chief Reporter‌‌, ‌‌‌NRL.com
@MichaelChammas

Kangaroos prop Aaron Woods has been rewarded for ensuring his awkward tackle on Tim Mannah didn’t become a dangerous one.

Woods is free to play in Friday night’s quarter-final against Samoa after escaping suspension for his tackle on the Lebanese prop last weekend.

Woods’s front-row partner David Klemmer has also been cleared to play in Darwin. Klemmer was not charged despite being placed on report for a tackle that left Lebanon’s Chris Saab concussed.

Woods said he tried his best to ensure Mannah landed in a safe position despite being lifted awkwardly in the tackle made in conjunction with Ben Hunt.

“I knew when I did it that it was going into an awkward situation, so I tried to pull him back,” Woods said in Darwin on Monday afternoon.

“That’s why he didn’t land on his neck or his shoulder. I tried my best. I got caught in a bad situation. I won’t be pulling any legs any time soon. It didn’t look good when they did the slow motion on the camera.”

Woods found out he was clear to play while on the team flight to Darwin from Sydney on Monday, admitting he was nervous to find out if he would be able to play in Australia’s first do-or-die match of the World Cup.

“I was a bit nervous. I knew I did the right thing in the tackle,” Woods said.

“I tried to do my best and prevent things from happening and make sure he was safe. You can say I was a bit nervous.

"You never know what the judiciary is going to do with it. It was good to get off and hopefully be in contention this week. I texted [Mannah] and said sorry about that after the game.”

Woods said there was less apprehension about Klemmer’s fate.

“It was all chest mate,” Woods said.

“You don’t run into a tackle with your head down. It was a bad situation. Klem just hit him with his chest. He’s a big unit.

"Hopefully Chris Saab got out of it all good.”

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
That tackle should have gotten 4-5 weeks minimum...

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Guilty or not of lifting in a tackle, there is only one reason that I can think of how Woods got of the lifting / dangerous tackle charge. The judiciary must still view him as a Tiger because if they viewed him as a Bulldog he would have been done for sure!!! Klem on the other hand is lucky that Chris Saad tends to use his head as a battering ram by running head first into Klems tackle. Woods says that it was all chest mate but I'm sure there must have been some hint of a shoulder in it. It could also be the fact that both are playing for Australia that saw both Klem and Woods walk away from the judiciary scot-free, any way all is good. Both being Bulldogs players I'm happy they got off!!! A lengthy suspension could of had them both miss the start of the new season.

Last edited:

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That's Ridiculous... It was dangerous. Yes he realised he put Mannah in a bad position and yes tried to stop hold him up but the guy was vertical at one stage.

Minimum 1 week.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Woods was very lucky, but I can't see ANY problems with what Klemmer did . Not even a penalty was appropriate.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I disgaree with some of u.. im a player does what woods did and ensures the player lands safely / softly etc he should get off..

Its quite easy for tackles to end up in a bad position because both tacklers impact the position it ends up.. if they realisr mid air and put the ball runner down safely to ensure no harm they dont deserve a suspension

Fine sufficient

Status
Not open for further replies.