News Woods on BSB this morning

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't know if anyone else heard it this morning but Woodsy was on the programme. He does a weekly segment by phone with TK and Loz.

Without getting too much into the nitty gritty I thought the one key comment he made in the interview was when he was asked about the difference when behind on the scoreboard at the Sharks as they were last week and his time with the Tigers and Dogs.

Essentially he said the big difference was that the Sharks were calm and not looking for the 'big plays'. Gall just said to them stick to the plan, play out your sets look for quick play the balls and kick to the corners - our chance will come. He also said that there just seemed to be a level of control in the whole team that wasn't there with either us or the Tigers.

If you think about it, that is the one ingredient that has been missing, probably since Hokko left. Lichaa, Reynolds, Mbye, Frawley, JMK - none of those guys are game controllers. You could even argue that Foran really isn't either. It's not that we don't have reasonable players, it's that we don't have that calm head to control the game.

Even the fact that JJ leads by example rather than by words works against us when we are down.

Maybe young Lewis can step up this year but the reality is without a good game manager and talker we will never get anywhere.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
helps if you can get away with forward passes..

But in alll honesty, I reckon Lewis looks the most likely to become that sorta player... he is a cool customer.. I know everybody is pissed off about the Foz situation, but at least he will be good for the development of these younger guys.. shame he's taking such a big chunk of the salary cap

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't know if anyone else heard it this morning but Woodsy was on the programme. He does a weekly segment by phone with TK and Loz.

Without getting too much into the nitty gritty I thought the one key comment he made in the interview was when he was asked about the difference when behind on the scoreboard at the Sharks as they were last week and his time with the Tigers and Dogs.

Essentially he said the big difference was that the Sharks were calm and not looking for the 'big plays'. Gall just said to them stick to the plan, play out your sets look for quick play the balls and kick to the corners - our chance will come. He also said that there just seemed to be a level of control in the whole team that wasn't there with either us or the Tigers.

If you think about it, that is the one ingredient that has been missing, probably since Hokko left. Lichaa, Reynolds, Mbye, Frawley, JMK - none of those guys are game controllers. You could even argue that Foran really isn't either. It's not that we don't have reasonable players, it's that we don't have that calm head to control the game.

Even the fact that JJ leads by example rather than by words works against us when we are down.

Maybe young Lewis can step up this year but the reality is without a good game manager and talker we will never get anywhere.
Lewy is an organising player, that’s what I saw watching him in the lower grades an said it all along , so it seems he will be the type of player to step up an give us that.
Fingers crossed!! I have hope.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Almost moved this to Rugby League General as Woods is no longer a Bulldog, but the rest of the comment is Bullddogs related.

Foz can definitely control a game but not with a shit halves partner and hooker and fullback.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
FFS they fluked a win thanks to ref rorting and now he is an expert on the Sharks.....

Stick to trying to play the ball properly, even my Under 6s play them properly.
Tbh a two year old can play the ball

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
what a load of rubbish LOL when have we gone a for a "big play" in the last 5 years?? Give me a fkn break!!
our attack is so one dimensional, that the only way we score is when the opposition falls asleep ..

Matilida

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The sharks will not win the competition not without Maloney. No matter how much Flannagan sooks.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Big plays ha. We have played more simpler than anyone for last 4 years, 5 hit ups on there tryline, cant remember last time i seen 3 decent passes strung together or even a decent fucking offload. We can put in a more simpler kick than anyone in the comp. Heck we dont even like scoring tries cause that wouldnt be simpler for woods and co. At the sharks we just bring on a quarter back in last minute and throw a hail mary and hope ref dont see. Simple slow dumb fuck no one is more happier than me that poser is gone.

Malla

Reaction score
Honestly... I couldnt give 2 fucks what a fat hairy front rower thinks

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
FFS they fluked a win thanks to ref rorting and now he is an expert on the Sharks.....

Stick to trying to play the ball properly, even my Under 6s play them properly.
I think you are missing the message in it mate. Look at the winners of the comp for (well forever) Smith/Cronk, Maloney, JT, Reynolds/Burgess, Maloney (again), Smith/Cronk (again), DCE/Foran, Hornby/Soward, Smith/Cronk (again) and so on it goes. You need that calm cool head to focus the team and keep them heading in the right direction. Now look at who we have had over that same period: Keating, Roberts, Reynolds, Hokko, Mbye, Frawley, JMK and a few weeks of a broken Foran. 4 of them got pretty big money to do the job and we really didn't get an organiser to save our lives. the closest we came was prob Ennis and despite the love affair some have with him on here he really wasn't a great organiser. I lost count of the number of wrong options or poor kicks out of DH he put on. We have continually smashed our backrowers, front rowers, OS backs and FB but it seems to me we really haven't had big problems with them it has been a lack of game manager that we have suffered from the most.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
FFS: Hope he isn't going to go on & on about how bad the Dogs are & Sharks are fucking wonderful, like Ennis.
that wasn't what he was on about today, although who knows next week. Even the other 2 said that he had a bounce in his voice that had been missing all year so clearly the Dogs stuff weighed heavily on him. I think he will just talk about whoever they play/ed each week or some other controversy that pops up in the moment, like most of them do.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
what a load of rubbish LOL when have we gone a for a "big play" in the last 5 years?? Give me a fkn break!!
our attack is so one dimensional, that the only way we score is when the opposition falls asleep ..
I think his point was more about the lack of focus and control of the team than on a single play, although the Tigers were renown for their 'hail marys'.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I think his point was more about the lack of focus and control of the team than on a single play, although the Tigers were renown for their 'hail marys'.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Where does the myth that Hodko was a great game controller for us come from? Maybe at his best he was an organising half.....we seldom, if ever saw his best. Maybe for the first half of 2014.

I remember a player who didn't get his hands on the ball enough and took a backseat to our forwards just as Reynolds and Mbye did. IMO we haven't had a great controller of a game since Kimmorley.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Interesting observations though......that calmness comes with stability......the tigers have pretty much always lacked that and we've lacked it ourselves in recent times.