Women's only pool enforces 'women only' and gets called offensive

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

A popular women’s only pool in Sydney’s eastern suburbs is facing a backlash after saying that transgender customers would only be allowed in if they’ve had gender reassignment surgery.

The McIver’s Ladies Baths in Coogee uploaded the rule onto a FAQ section of its website, stoking hundreds of angry comments directed towards its management on social media. Under a headline titled “Are transgender women allowed?” the website stated: “Only transgender women who’ve undergone a gender reassignment surgery are allowed entry.” Overnight thousands of people have taken to the pool’s Facebook page to express their anger at the rule, arguing that is discriminatory and would be impossible to enforce. “The ‘drop your pants so we can check’ policy is breathtakingly offensive, and evidence of extremely outdated, reductive and classist thinking,” one person wrote.

“I’m happy to swim with non-op trans women any day of the week (and yes, before the trolls go bonkers, I can and will do so at other pools); not happy with your dodgy reductive policy.”

“As a long-time swimmer at the pools I am really disgusted and upset by this policy, wrote another. “I’ve always enjoyed McIver’s because I’ve seen it as safe and accessible haven for so many in Sydney. Your website says a ‘safe space for all women’ but this policy says another.”

“This is deeply shameful, exclusionary and has changed my perception of you from a safe space for women to one that is highly unsafe,” added a third. “You should be deeply ashamed about this.”

There is also confusion about how the rule would be enforced.

On the pool’s website, it states that full nudity is prohibited by NSW law.

“Swimming bottoms must be worn at all times in the pool, and around the grounds. Violators may be asked to leave,” it states. “Topless swimming and sunbaking is allowed; though we do ask that patrons are considerate of their environment and the comfort levels of people around them.”

However, there appeared to be some support for the pool management amid a wave of criticism.

“Thank you for upholding the rights of women and girls,” one commenter wrote.

“Many thanks McIver’s. Women and girls value the opportunity to have spaces that are for women and girls only. These spaces are rare and it hurts no one,” added another.

Amid the backlash, the information on the pool’s website has changed.

Under the section about transgender women, it now reads: “McIver’s Ladies Baths has an exemption under the Anti-Discrimination Act awarded in 1995. Only women and children (boys up to 13 years of age) are permitted entry.”

It is unclear whether the rules for transgender women have actually changed and on the pool’s social media page, its management has told customers requests for any information regarding transgender people needs to be directed to Randwick City Council.

On its website, the pool management says the baths are a place of “healing, acceptance, and security” for women and children.

“Historically, our pool was one of very few places where women were allowed to swim,” it reads. “Protecting this special place for women has been the work of many generations of women. Today it provides a safe place for women of many ages, religions, and backgrounds.”

The McIver’s Ladies Baths are licensed by Randwick Council, and sub-licensed by the Randwick & Coogee Ladies Swimming Association Inc. (R & CLSA Inc.) from Crown Lands. The R & CLSA Inc. manages the pool and all fees collected from admission and annual pass sales are used for the operations of the baths.
lol it must be farking exhausting being you getting triggered all the time. How many keyboards do you go through in a month?

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
lol it must be farking exhausting being you getting triggered all the time. How many keyboards do you go through in a month?
And to everyone who can’t handle his point of view, and write page after page to the contrary

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I wonder what enraged Dawgfather more. The fact that the women's only pool got in trouble for not letting transgenders in, or the fact that there's not a men's only pool.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
So how do they enforce this mandate? Dacks down at the gate? Pat downs? Or are they just relying on the honour system?
"how high can you piss up this wall?"

Let's face it. If you're faced with a wall pissing challenge and you have the gear to do it, you're going to do it.