With Cyclone Willie gone, Dogs focus on tropical new home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
From
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...1195753308470.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1
Even before the sudden departures of Willie Mason and Brent Sherwin, the Bulldogs players were always going to be feeling the heat next season.

As part of sweeping changes aimed at keeping the club up to date with modern trends, the Bulldogs are moving to Sydney Olympic Park and will have access to state-of-the-art training facilities - including a climate-controlled gymnasium.

"It's going to be good," Bulldogs coach Steve Folkes told the Herald. "You can control the temperature and the humidity, so if we're going to North Queensland early in the season the guys can get acclimatised to the conditions they're going to meet up there. It's the same for New Zealand or Melbourne."

It's improvements like these which are dominating the thoughts of the players as much - if not more - than how they will cope without Mason, Sherwin and Mark O'Meley. And despite the mountains of publicity Mason's dramatic shift to the Roosters has attracted, his name hardly rated a mention at the Bulldogs' induction day this week.

News a delegation of players headed by captain Andrew Ryan and fullback Luke Patten met directors the day they agreed to release Mason might have suggested the meeting was solely about the 27-year-old international, but one of the chief topics was the impending shift from Belmore.

An earlier meeting of players and coaching staff had decided to update the Bulldogs' playing style after their disappointing end to the 2007 season, and the loss of two representative props in Mason and O'Meley and their long-serving halfback has ensured the changes will be implemented.

"I guess we'd probably been left behind a touch over the past few years," Ryan said.

"We were still playing the same way we did when we won the comp in 2004 so the players spoke to Folkesy about changing a few things and, to his credit, he was really positive about it.

"We've only been back at training for two weeks and we're already doing skill sessions, whereas in the past you wouldn't see a ball until near the end of the off-season."

Despite the perception that the Bulldogs lacked attacking potency last season, statistics show otherwise.

"I think we made more line breaks than anyone else last year and scored the third-most tries so we are doing some things right," Folkes said. "But the game is being played a little differently than it was a few years ago so we'll be changing things slightly and we think the players we have bought will complement the style we want to play."

Of the 30 players in the Bulldogs' full-time training squad, 10 have either been recruited from outside the club or promoted from lower grades.

Among them are former Cronulla hooker Michael Sullivan, rookie Manly halfback Aaron Groom and props Justin Tsoulos (Parramatta), Charlie Leaeno (Dragons) and Danny Williams (Roosters).

Wingers Leon Bott and Heka Nanai, centre Tim Winitana, lock Gary Warburton and prop Luke Thompson are the other new faces.

After Mason signed with the Roosters last week, Ryan revealed the senior players called a meeting at which they told their younger teammates there would never be a better opportunity to cement a position in the side.

"I think guys like Chris Armit, Jarrad Hickey and Kane Cleal are ready to step up but no one's position is guaranteed," Ryan said. "There's probably five or six guys vying to play in the front row."

Ben Roberts, Daniel Holdsworth and Groom are expected to battle it out for the halfback and five-eighth jobs, although Sullivan, Reni Maitua and Nick Kouparitsas could also slot into one of those roles if necessary.

"I think we've got a third of our full-time squad that haven't been there before so that brings enthusiasm and it's just a good feeling and a good vibe," Folkes said. "Everyone is getting on well, there's no egos and they are all prepared to knuckle down, train hard and see what comes of it next year."

As for Mason, who last weekend savaged his coaching in his column in The Sun-Herald, Folkes said: "That's old news and we've decided to move on. We're looking to the future, not the past."
So what date do they move, and exactly whereabouts will they be located in the complex?

B

BULLDOG GEORGE

folkes is happy mason is gone no egos around the place anymore.

Mighty_Matt

Waterboy
Reaction score
I am so happy to hear we are changing our style of play, it became brutely honest last season our style was outdated....and I am more excited than I have ever been this time of year about the footy and cant f'n wait till kick off in 2008! y unknown quantities to find out....how will we handle the front row? hows sullivan going to go?...the halves?...Im dying to see Groome run with the ball!....every new article i read just pumps me up more and more! Losing Willie will be the best thing to happen to the club!

DoGs_R_dA_BeSt™

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
im happy mason is gone to in a way because mason always had his big saying we will work them up etc etc and with blah blah but on the field he was nothing he was fat pieces of sh!t, the club can do more with out him then with him

Hammer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
thats a fair bit of inexperience but i agree it should bring some much needed enthusiasm

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
im happy mason is gone to in a way because mason always had his big saying we will work them up etc etc and with blah blah but on the field he was nothing he was fat pieces of sh!t, the club can do more with out him then with him
rofl i couldnt understand wat the hell u were on about.

TCB-BD

CBBD FTW!
Reaction score
From
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...1195753308470.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

So what date do they move, and exactly whereabouts will they be located in the complex?
Finally, confirmation on the world's worst kept secret... now can everyone who says we are staying at Belmore realise we aren't...;)

As for your question, from reports it should be sometime in January and from memory it is around the State Sports Centre end of Sydney Olympic Park, near the Driving Range/Golf Course and Australia Avenue, but US should be able to confirm this better... :grinning:

It's exciting news and great to hear it finally happening, we can finally have recovery and training facilities worthy of our team and perhaps a better injury record because of it, it's a good thing for 2008.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
i really like that gym, how awesome would it be 2 acclimatise 2 the conditions for like a whole week, gonna b a massive advantage

TCB-BD

CBBD FTW!
Reaction score
i really like that gym, how awesome would it be 2 acclimatise 2 the conditions for like a whole week, gonna b a massive advantage
Huge advantage, not to mention the opportunity to do running drills on an athletics track, to do recovery sessions at the aquatic centre, or to have an administration building that is state of the art and worthy of the great people, such as Maria who work in it... :grinning:

It's really been the Achilles heal of the club for sometime, we have been successful and yet been doing things in third world conditions. As much as I love Belmore, the time has come without the support of others to move on to bigger and better things. It's a new start in 2008 in all aspects, and I am very excited about it... :D

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
Maria is the best :p, dont know how many times she's fixed up my season ticket lol. Quite a few times they werent working :grinning:

bullfrog_rip

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote "Despite the perception that the Bulldogs lacked attacking potency last season, statistics show otherwise.

"I think we made more line breaks than anyone else last year and scored the third-most tries so we are doing some things right," Folkes said. "But the game is being played a little differently than it was a few years ago so we'll be changing things slightly and we think the players we have bought will complement the style we want to play."

dont know why most ppl doubt our attack potency, last yr we attacked ok..we just couldnt defend for sh!t... sharpen up our defence and we might even stand a competitive chance..no point scoring 20 tries if we let in 40..

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
we attacked ok but we bombed quite a few tries that could have resulted in us winning a few more games. We made the most linebreaks but scored the least tries from them. Shows we can find gaps but our so called speed men arnt really speed men, especially when our leading try scorer was a second rower in SBW.

H

Haztrick

Great article and very promising. Sounds like we definitely have Williams from Roosters.

The training facilities sound very exciting. The fact they've discussed a change of style is awesome as well. Everything is shaping up to a promising season next year.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
and charlie tonga as well...

as for the shift to SOP... i reckon we will have the best training facilities compared to what most other teams from different codes have. It will be great for our juniors to be trained in the NSWIS

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The main positives i saw in that article are.

1. Skills sessions right from the start of training rather than right before the start of the season. Handling errors killed us for much of last season, there were maybe 3-5 games where we handled the ball well IMO.

2. More structure. Its a much younger side this year and having a more structured style should help make them a better attacking unit. The sides defensive structure was lacking a lot last season too. Hopefully the Dogs can re-earn the reputation of the strong defensive sides that the Bulldogs traditionally are.

3. No ego's. I'm a firm believer in the put in or shut up attitude. We might get to see the best out of the players if they aren't walking around posing for the cameras and aggravating the opposition by telling them we are going to steamroll them.

4. New facilities. As much as i miss seeing games at Belmore, the side might come to see Sydney Olympic Park as a real home ground if they do all their training there rather than over at Belmore and the advantage of being able to adjust to the climate to something similar to where they are going to play will mean they can be better prepared for the games.

I'm not sure what to expect from the team for the season to come but i like to think the side is capable of giving us some pleasant surprises.

Status
Not open for further replies.