Windows Update phone fraud - truth will out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So, my retired-on-the-pension parents keep getting calls from those "Windows Update" fraudsters. For some reason today they just keep phoning and leaving messages. So I stepped in to help out.

Her [you can do the accent yourselves, I actually like the accent, except for hearing it on calls like this]: Hello I am from Windows IT Support phoning about your Windows update.

Me: Hello, can I ask you a question?

Her: [Continues with spiel]

Me: [Have heard it all before, so interrupts] Can I ask you a question?

Her: Ok.

Me: How does it feel robbing old people of their money?

Her: [Something unintelligible]

Me: Do you feel good stealing money off people for no good reason?

Her: Yes!

Me: [Slightly taken aback by this development] It does? How can it feel good to do something bad to other people?

Her: I hate your f**king country!

Me: [Not going to get drawn into swearing/shouting and therefore validate her hate] Why do you hate this country?

Her: I hate it, and I hate the people.

Me: Why? And why does that make it morally ok to steal?

Her: Because I hate it, that is why I am happy to take your money.

Me: You know, no matter how you justify stealing other peoples money, it is still morally wrong. Every night you go to bed you have to convince yourself that you are ok doing something that deep down you know is wrong.

Her: [Beep... beep... beep...]

So... it is true, the people running those fraud farms are indoctrinating the people on their phones with hate for the country they are phoning.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Are your serious? I don't think I would be that calm.

I was getting heaps of calls regarding funeral insurance. I started a thread & one of the guys here told me to register on the Do Not Call website.

I'm happy to report that all those calls have stopped. Give it a go, its free & you have nothing to loose. Website is as follows.

https://www.donotcall.gov.au/

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
i think they are pissed off about the tendulker retirement tbh

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Are your serious? I don't think I would be that calm.

I was getting heaps of calls regarding funeral insurance. I started a thread & one of the guys here told me to register on the Do Not Call website.

I'm happy to report that all those calls have stopped. Give it a go, its free & you have nothing to loose. Website is as follows.

https://www.donotcall.gov.au/
We are on it, it doesn't prevent calls from overseas fraud farms unfortunately.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Awesome.

I had one call my parents house while I was there. My mum said "Just one moment" then told me and said "this doesn't sound legit". She passed the phone to me.

I said "Hi, can you just hold for a moment. I work for telecommunications investigations and I just need to trace your call to verify your location."

They hung up and haven't called back since.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Awesome.

I had one call my parents house while I was there. My mum said "Just one moment" then told me and said "this doesn't sound legit". She passed the phone to me.

I said "Hi, can you just hold for a moment. I work for telecommunications investigations and I just need to trace your call to verify your location."

They hung up and haven't called back since.
Nice one :thumb:

I think the psychologist in me is fascinated by the moral gymnastics these (mostly) women have to be performing to do that work. I'm hoping that they'll have a pricked conscience and maybe do something different. They are clearly intelligent people, because they have been able to reduce the strength of their accent without changing countries, they have somewhat Australianised their English, etc. There has to be opportunities around them that are substantially less morally flimsy. Plus the people who really need to answer for this sort of thing aren't on the phone, they are in a mansion somewhere rolling in it.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
id actually play along if i received that call to get their hopes up, this is what id do

"hello we are from windows, we have detected a problem on your computer"

"oh no"

"you will need a repair update package, it costs $195"

"thats sounds excellent, i hope this fixes it"

"it will, can i get the credit card details"

"yeah the card belongs to your mother, i stole it from her purse when i f***ed her up her ass last night tbh"

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
id actually play along if i received that call to get their hopes up, this is what id do

"oh no"

Several years ago I tried playing along, did so for about 40 minutes, and never got to this stage before getting bored. They basically start stepping you through different things on your computer. I kept asking if this problem would cost me money and they kept saying it wouldn't. They basically want to scare the tripe out of you 14 times over before they say something like "Oh dear, this is actually worse than we thought, you'll be needing our special handy dandy fixerupper software, which unfortunately I can't give you without payment for the license fee".

Seriously, I was Googling all the info about how these guys operate while she was telling me what to do on my computer. I was telling her what I was looking at based on that. All it comes down to is taking you to all the places in Windows that have words like "fault" and "failure" and anything that looks mildly scary, and making out as though this is a big problem (its not).

Got so bored I started telling her what she was going to ask me to do next before she managed to ask it. She didn't seem to get it, or perhaps she was just a raging optimist, so I spelled it out, told her I knew it was a fraud, cause Windows would never phone me.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Several years ago I tried playing along, did so for about 40 minutes, and never got to this stage before getting bored. They basically start stepping you through different things on your computer. I kept asking if this problem would cost me money and they kept saying it wouldn't. They basically want to scare the tripe out of you 14 times over before they say something like "Oh dear, this is actually worse than we thought, you'll be needing our special handy dandy fixerupper software, which unfortunately I can't give you without payment for the license fee".

Seriously, I was Googling all the info about how these guys operate while she was telling me what to do on my computer. I was telling her what I was looking at based on that. All it comes down to is taking you to all the places in Windows that have words like "fault" and "failure" and anything that looks mildly scary, and making out as though this is a big problem (its not).

Got so bored I started telling her what she was going to ask me to do next before she managed to ask it. She didn't seem to get it, or perhaps she was just a raging optimist, so I spelled it out, told her I knew it was a fraud, cause Windows would never phone me.
lol no actually id join them in the scam

"hi im from windows upda..."

"omg listen i know alot of dumb people here tbh, theyve only just got a computer they dont know what the hell is going, ill give you their numbers but i want 25%"

"that sounds great, can i have your bank account details so we can pay you?"

"yeah no worries, its *******"

"thanks, bye"

"ffs"

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I remember the dudes calling supposedly calling up from Microsoft years ago about viruses on my pc and telling me to delete everything in my prefetch (does nothing anyway lol) folder and give them credit card details to ensure all is good, told that indian ****er to go **** him self so he hung up lol

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
lol no actually id join them in the scam

"hi im from windows upda..."

"omg listen i know alot of dumb people here tbh, theyve only just got a computer they dont know what the hell is going, ill give you their numbers but i want 25%"

"that sounds great, can i have your bank account details so we can pay you?"

"yeah no worries, its *******"

"thanks, bye"

"ffs"
Good idea, but make sure and give them Bronwyn Bishops number, she'd be the biggest mark this side of the person who bought the Eiffel Tower.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

"oh no"

"thats sounds excellent, i hope this fixes it"

"it will, can i get the credit card details"

"yeah the card belongs to your mother, i stole it from her purse when i f***ed her up her ass last night tbh"
Thats bullying and won't be tolerated to be honest lol

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Can you imagine what I would say lol

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Can you imagine what I would say lol
Yes I will type it out

"****** * ******************************************************************************************************... ***************"

^ The Kennel did this not me lol

Status
Not open for further replies.