Willie Mason calls on current crop of Bulldogs players to start delivering on talent, potential

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I love this.
I know there are some that think the “old school” mentality should be left in the past, but Im not one of them.
The game may have evolved but fundamentally, it’s the same. The team that wants it more, usually wins.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
We’ve heard plenty of talk over the last few years..... will believe it when I see it on the field #bringbackthemadness

Craystar

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We’ve heard plenty of talk over the last few years..... will believe it when I see it on the field #bringbackthemadness
There is no better profile pic on the kennel like yours, which best describes the user behind it!

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Pffft.... if your happy with years of talking up a fucking shit house team good on you and sorry for your mental illness

TOTTO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every year we hear this sort of stuff , talk is cheap.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
These blokes were always true bulldogs, great having them around an letting them have their say, and tell it how it is.. let’s hope the words of wisdom rub off an are taken in...!!

LOVE IT.!!!

Last edited:

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I love this.
I know there are some that think the “old school” mentality should be left in the past, but Im not one of them.
The game may have evolved but fundamentally, it’s the same. The team that wants it more, usually wins.
Yep, stripped back of all the hi tech theory and training equipment , special diets, sports science etc.. blah blah it’s still a pretty simple game of run faster, hit harder, commitment and team work. “The madness” for the want of a better phrase was there towards the end of the year. I love old dogs sharing their experience and enthusiasm for the jersey and club.
Good stuff.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
About time the old school players came back and gave them some guidance. That comment about "blokes with 40-50 games", I reckon is squarely targeted at guys like Montoya / Crichton / Holland who should be performing better than what they have been.

Just hope they don't put on too much muscle and slow up.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't/isn't O'Meley involved with NSWRL or junior State of Origin players for NSW??

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
About time the old school players came back and gave them some guidance. That comment about "blokes with 40-50 games", I reckon is squarely targeted at guys like Montoya / Crichton / Holland who should be performing better than what they have been.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't/isn't O'Meley involved with NSWRL or junior State of Origin players for NSW??
He def was last year.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score

I saw both O'Meley and Mason doing at least one training session with the Junior NSW's side forwards (was on NRL.com video).

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Willie Mason knows potential when he sees it.

Which is why he is pumped about the future for his success-starved Canterbury Bulldogs, despite their youthful roster.

Mason was patrolling the sideline on Tuesday as the players were put through their paces on the punishing Wanda sand dunes in Cronulla.

The players were physically fatigued under the hot sun but pushed the pain aside to complete the task at hand.

Mason was heartened by the effort and believes the Bulldogs have the talent to climb up the ladder after three years without reaching the finals.

However, he said the excuses had to end now, especially from the more experienced players in the squad.

“If you have played 40 to 50 games, the honeymoon period is over and it is time to perform,” Mason said.

“It is why you are on an NRL roster, to play in the NRL and not to play reserve grade.

“I know what that feeling is like as a young player. You question yourself.

“But these guys with 40 games under their belt start to feel like they belong.

“The Bulldogs aren’t the sort of club that thinks, ‘let’s rebuild for five years’. They don’t do that because they want to win.

“The fans also expect that. I expect that as a fan of the club and a former player.

“There is pressure when it comes to playing for the Bulldogs. You need to perform and that is why they are trying to get as many ex-players involved to help.”

Coach Dean Pay wants his young Bulldogs to recapture the trademark toughness from the club’s glory years.

It was a no-brainer for Pay to reach out to club legends such as Mason, Mark O’Meley and Brent Sherwin after they helped build one of the most successful eras in Canterbury’s history.

“Dean called me about six weeks ago about his interest in getting a few players in from those dominant years in the early 2000s,” Mason said.

“He said what we did during that era is something that the current team really reflects on and wants to try to emulate.

“They want to get my mindset on how I approached games, the camaraderie and how we built that team.

“It was good to talk to some young kids and try and pass on the mentality we had during those successful years.”

The mid-2000s was the club’s second most dominant period behind the 1980s, when Canterbury went toe-to-toe with arch rivals Parramatta to claim four premierships.

With players such as Mason, Andrew Ryan, Matt Utai and Steve Price, the Bulldogs won the 2004 premiership and finished in the top three in four out of six seasons from 2001 to 2006.

They were one of the most successful clubs during that time alongside Brisbane, Melbourne and Manly.

Mason said the secret to the Bulldogs’ success was simple.

“There was just a mentality when you put that jersey on, you weren’t meant to lose,” he said.

“You were supposed to win, regardless of how many games you’d played, where you were from or whatever.

“That is what the current team is trying to get back to. In the next few seasons they will push for a top-eight spot.”

Mason is excited about the Bulldogs’ youthful promise.

“Just the size of the kids blew me away,” he said.

“Reimis Smith is six-foot-four, over 100kg and he is a winger.

“Lachlan Lewis is also a big kid for a halfback.

“We are only two weeks into pre-season, so a lot of players are going to put on more muscle and lose body fat.

“Have a look at some of these kids around February next year and they are going to be animals.”

Mason said recruitment, self-belief and a fast start were the keys to Canterbury having success next year.

“I was speaking to Dean about their attitude in the final 12 games compared to their first 12 when they were losing,” he said.

“It was just simplifying their game plan, completing at over 90 per cent, defending like their lives depended on it.

“When you don’t have the talent of the Roosters, for example, they must do all the little things well to win games.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...l/news-story/ba0b528a45f0a5e83bf28576c5032ec8
This inspirational for the fans.
Will be interesting to see how the players react.
I don't want to sound negative but the times and the game have changed.
Every time we needed to rebuild the team in the past we always had some special players to built the team around, players we do not have now !!!
We need 2 or 3 marquee players for the 2021 season now, if we don't consider the 2021 season a right off as well !!!

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Every year we hear this sort of stuff , talk is cheap.
I always wait for the player terry lamb talks up. I know for a fact they will be a huge dud.

it’s always that article that makes me laugh. Or the “you could feel the intensity in this preseason/we have never been this fit heading into a season”. Had the latter articles for about 7-8 years :p

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fcuk Mason could talk all day lonnngg…

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Outside of the usual pre-season jibber jabber, good to know that Pay is seeking out some of these blokes and getting them involved. Big Willie is a straight shooter, the stuff he says about the teams perspective on last season can be taken on face value.

Sherwin to help with halves skills. O'Meley to help with forwards skills. Mason to help with the tough winning mentality. Will be interesting to see the results.

Best of all, no Sea Feebles ring ins, Bulldogs all the way.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Hard work is important but you also need to have talent.

There's no way I'd compare those players in Masons era to who we have today.