Willie Mason back!

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I’m sure he was around the boys and the club last year.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
‘Good to be back’: NRL great Willie Mason returns to Canterbury Bulldogs

In what was a welcome sight for fans of the Canterbury Bulldogs, it appears NRL great Willie Mason has returned to his old club to help out in an assistant coaching capacity.

On Monday, the Bulldogs shared several photos of the former hulking forward at a pre-season training session, kitted out in club gear.

The 41-year-old was quietly overseeing training and was standing alongside head coach Trent Barrett in one of the images shared to the Bulldogs’ official social media channels.

He was also spotted having a chat to new Bulldogs general manager of football Phil Gould, who will be hoping the club legend can help turn around the team’s fortunes.

Mason shared some photos of him at Bulldogs training to his Instagram account accompanied with the messages “Good to back” and “Been a minute”.

The imposing prop and second-rower played 148 matches for the Bulldogs across eight seasons and was a key part of the NRL premiership-winning side in 2004, claiming the Clive Churchill medal in the grand final.

Mason played 310 games in his rugby league career in the NRL and the Super League. He also represented New South Wales in 13 State of Origin games and played 24 matches for Australia.

It’s unclear what Mason’s new role at the Bulldogs exactly involves, but fans will be hoping he can rub some of his magic off on the struggling team.

In Barrett’s first year as coach, Canterbury won just three games and finished on the bottom of the NRL ladder to pick up the wooden spoon.

Mason’s return to Canterbury-Bankstown continues a trend of NRL legends returning to their old clubs this off-season in a bid to impart some of their wisdom on the current playing groups.

In the last month, it’s been confirmed Benji Marshall will return to the Wests Tigers as a club ambassador, Andrew Johns will join the Newcastle Knights’ coaching staff and Johnathan Thurston has come on board at the North Queensland Cowboys to help mentor their halves.

NRL pundits believe clubs hiring their superstars from yesteryear to use their expertise can only be a good thing.

“The great Johnathan Thurston has gone back with the Cowboys, so good,” broadcaster Gus Worland told Triple M’s Dead Set Legendson the weekend.

“This week we saw him with the hat on just barking instructions. Can’t be anything but good.

“You’ve got Benji at the Tigers now, you’ve got old players now going back to their old clubs, that’s good for rugby league.

“Same with Joey (Johns) up at Newcastle.”

Brisbane Broncos legend Wendell Sailor agreed, adding: “We talk about the game evolving and that and it’s good that is evolves but these guys are the players that help the game evolve.

“What the Cowboys need at the moment is someone like Johnathan Thurston, (he has) the DNA of the Cowboys and he’s about winning.

“He’s not going to create something they haven’t got, he’s just going to give them his point of view, he’ll work with those players. Imagine those young players having Johnathan Thurston.”

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Not sure how I feel about this but I'll keep an open mind.

Know what you mean.

Mason went to the Rooters and shat on us, but I've softened and see he's making the right noises lately.

I'll never forgive SBW, but if Mason wants to be involved and Gus is on board I'm ok.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mason would have been good this year to fire up the cat Napa but the forwards we have for 22 don't really need to be told to run hard. In saying that, I like the fact that he's back. Just wish we could get O'Meley back too

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Hopefully he can instil a hard edge and a bit of attitude to the forwards. We need to go back to bullying opposition packs.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's good to see him back in the fold. Unlike others who have left in controversial circumstances, at least he's often acknowledged that he loves the club and regrets how things turned out. Unlike the guy who ran off to France...

He'll help get the boys playing with some passion and intensity. I wish James Graham was brought back in a similar role..

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He's alright. Out of the all blokes who left, i reckon Mason genuinely loves the club and hated seeing the team at the bottom of the ladder..

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Does that mean I need to pack away my ‘Willie was a Dog now he’s a Cock’ banner?

It wasn’t big enough to accomodate all of the journey man’s clubs :-).

I’m OK with Willie being back if his heart is in the right place. I don’t like how he treated Folksie, Bulldog royalty - but equally was a twenty something hot-head at the time and now in his forties is likely a bit calmer.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's good to see him back in the fold. Unlike others who have left in controversial circumstances, at least he's often acknowledged that he loves the club and regrets how things turned out. Unlike the guy who ran off to France...

He'll help get the boys playing with some passion and intensity. I wish James Graham was brought back in a similar role..
agreed... it was not easy watching Mason leave as he did and go straight to the Roosters

but I think Mason paid the price for this as Brian Smith pretty much ran him out of the Roosters at the end of 2009, his last Origin and Test caps were in 2008, and he was pretty much a journey man from then on

he was never the star again that he was with us and he was never going to be loved by other fans the way we did

and Mason has spoken highly of the club since retiring... despite playing for a host of clubs, he has stated that the 'Dogs are his club and that was always going to be the case after the final round victory over the Broncos in 2002 with the pitch invasion by the fans

plus, it will be good to have someone at the club now that experienced the club when we were kings

Last edited:

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Does that mean I need to pack away my ‘Willie was a Dog now he’s a Cock’ banner?

It wasn’t big enough to accomodate all of the journey man’s clubs :-).

I’m OK with Willie being back if his heart is in the right place. I don’t like how he treated Folksie, Bulldog royalty - but equally was a twenty something hot-head at the time and now in his forties is likely a bit calmer.
I'll dust off my afro wig from 2002.

DoggiesUtd

ps3- DoggiesUtd
Reaction score
i know its hard to forget what Mase and SBW did when they all walked out , but any of that 2004 playing squad especially has a place in my heart as 1 of the best years / days of my life...and im sure its etched in those players hearts too
my only bad memories of that squad before they were torn apart was knowing we should have at least won 2-3 prems!
that broncos semi where we were smashing them at halftime and lost :( #scarred

Mase welcome back anytime