Will RL die or stay alive?

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I would love for the NRL to go belly-up.
They are a corrupt horribly managed organisation.

The game will be rebuilt by the clubs, supporters of the game and grassroots.

As for this season, I'm not sure how the economics work with no crowds. I imagine the only way it can work is if everyone shares the pain by taking a haircut in terms of their income, including the players?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
After this I'm already planning to start Hacky McAxe Airlines. May as well start a Rugby League comp as well. But we'll use Axes instead of Balls.

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will survive this but will be gone in 50 years as more players sue clubs/NRL due to brain damage:(

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I know its all speculation and confusion with everything that is going on but i highly doubt this game will survive through bad administration past and present, the true face of RL is getting exposed thanks to the "covid19".
LOL...
Didn't you know, Rugby League has been dead and buried for a long time ?
It's The National Rorts League we follow now :rage:

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The game better not die. It’s the best game ever.!$!

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Super league version 2. Could be last chance to get rid of the clubs with no financial future, move forward with a true national league. Perth, Adelaide and second Brisbane team. Goodbye to a couple of Sydney teams.

Malla

Reaction score
RL will never die
I’m sick of the people, in particular Gus who love to jump on the news and twitter talking about it like it’s doomsday for rugby league just to get air time. Gus loves to make himself feel like he knows better than the CEO, chairman and board when really Gus knows shit all. Had a 5 year plan at Penrith and it’s what year 10 of that? Lol people need to calm down. RL will be just fine

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I hope that no-one loses there house and Id hate for anyone to lose there income but Id like to see an end to NRL and a new national rugby league competition for Australia.

I know nothing of the financials but it appears the NRL is in trouble due to a shortfall in funds that they should have had in place.

As a fan of Rugby league for a few years now, I think the NRL has become a joke. The game is far from entertaining. Its cheesy. The broadcast of the game is cheesy.

Just one example of ineptitude, conflict of interest = Suttons.

Id like to see an unbiased approach to commentary. An air of professionalism.

How is Jamie Soward considered an expert on the game? Thats what its been reduced to.

I lived in Melbourne and country Victorian for a few years before moving interstate a couple of years ago. I hate AFL but envious of the culture of their sport. Victorians love there AFL and wouldn't tolerate there sport being reduced to a gimmick. The fans turn up in numbers the NRL can only dream of. I dont know the History of AFL but it appears to be prosperous. Steeped in history and tradition. AFL is felt/talked about/lived as far as the NSW border.

I know that change is inevitable. With that Origin will never be as brutal/flash or exciting as it once was with this administration. How can it be without fatigue. The NRL seems hell bent on slowing this game down. I dont know. Im heavily emotionally invested in the Bulldogs but sometimes I seriously question why I still follow the sport.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rugby league die lol. Never.......
Outside of the nrl. The rest of us still play it for its true values and the competitiveness. U cant take that of people.
Money is nothing.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
New comp and admin would be excellent.

Cut the league to 12 teams and have a wider talent pool to close the gap between the top and bottom sides.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I'm hoping for a reset of the sport tbh. So much of it is rotten to the core that anything short of every **** losing their jobs may be the only way to correct it.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Love watching these RL "journo's" fret on tv. They seem like they are shitting themselves and jumping down the neck of everyone out of fear of losing their place at the pig trough, earning a great living talking absolute crap around the game.
It is hard to imagine personality-starved knobbers such as Hooper, Rothfield, Crawley, Anasta, Hodges etc etc etc being able to get a job outside of rugby league IMO.
Thank Christ V'Landys has been on board this season....can you imagine the utter state of devastation and hopelessness the NRL would currently find itself in if spineless, clueless, inept Greenberg was in charge of steering RL through this current turmoil? Fucken perish the thought.
Would love to see a huge cleanout of scores of shitstain vermin that currently make a cushy living off of RL if the NRL fell in a hole over this virus. All of the above-mentioned parasites could make a supergroup busking outside of Centrelink for spare change.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,

I would say the game will be cleansed.
The following clubs will survive easily;
Souths
Broncos
Eels
Newcastle
St G Illawarra
Canberra
Nth Qld

The following may survive as is, or be relocated or revamped/rebadged:
Bulldogs
Wests Tigers
Storm
Roosters
Penrith
the following will be relinquished:
Warriors
Gold Coast
Manly
Cronulla

There will likely be a new entity or two emerge in a new market. Brisbane 2, Hills District, Central Coast etc

Firstly,
The NRL has been battling a major talent crisis for a while now.
This is why there's been no expansion.
16 teams limits talent damage control and is a fine balance not to upset traditional supporters and broadcasters.
But the fact if the matter, the talent pool is ranged to be optimal between 10 and 12 teams by all expert estimates.
Now factor in, there is likely to be some casualties through the pandemic. Not many, but it's naive that we will keep them all. Some will have lung damage too. So this is further compounded.

The NRL in its new entity will look at geographically strategic locations, whilst trying to pay a semblance of homage to existing geographically important locations.
We will likely get a reformed 12 team comp that looks similar to this.

Northern NSW (Knights)
Central NSW (Central Coast)
Southern NSW (Canberra)

Sydney
1.Western suburbs team (Penrith/Western Panthers)
2. Southern Suburbs Team (St George Illawarra)
3. Central Suburban team (Dogs or Eels)
4. Northern suburbs entity (Eels or dogs/new team)
5. Eastern Suburbs identity (Roosters)
6. MacArthur/SW suburbs region (Rabbitohs)

Sth Qld team 1. Broncos
Sth Qld team 2. New entity

Nth Qld. Cowboys

Perth. Wests Tigers

Maybe/likely Victorian Team (Storm)

We will emerge in a strategically placed 14 team competition.

the survivors from these times will understand and after a few years the game should grow to the same level as now, and a few more years will grow further with the new markets.

In about ten years, we will see a Kiwi team return, followed by another Kiwi team or Hills District.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is very good news and could not have come at a better time for the code.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/we-...ox-sports-for-nrl-rights-20200318-p54bc9.html

Global sports broadcasting giant ESPN has told the NRL it wants to be at the table when the code opens its new television rights negotiations later this year in a move that could have major ramifications on the future of Fox Sports.

With Fox Sports, which on Wednesday announced up to 20 job cuts in its news division, already concerned about losing subscribers should the NRL be forced to call of its season due to the coronavirus pandemic, news of ESPN's interest in entering the market place could not have come at a worse time.

If it means the end of Murdoch's gouging business model for Foxtel than I'm all for it.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
After this I'm already planning to start Hacky McAxe Airlines. May as well start a Rugby League comp as well. But we'll use Axes instead of Balls.
You've been playing too much Wonder Boy bro lol...

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm thinking of starting a security guard company - when the lock down comes everyone will need a guard.
A home delivery service - see above.
A Religious Cult - mainly as a tax haven for the above two businesses, but a little extra scammed out of the completely gullible I'll spend on hats.

Jabba the Mutt

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Rugby League has survived massive disruptions during WW1, WW2 and Superleague (plus a couple of 'police actions') and league has managed just fine - it's still here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_rugby_league

History has shown that people really like to kick and pass a ball to other people as we're essentially social animals......(and if anyone reads The Kennel long enough they'll know that we do have a number of 'animals' who post on here! :D). Seriously, I think that this will go down in history as a set back to ALL sports but it's nowhere near the end of rugby league.....or any other sport.

Stay safe everyone, don't panic, follow medical/scientific advice, stop hoarding TP (...as I've only got a few squares to spare) and Bulldogs to win tonight!

#GoBulldogs

Last edited: