Will Hopoate

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hoppa seems to be the biggest problem on that edge , gasnier laid blame on him a few times in the Storm game, and he of all people should know that position

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As far as positional changes, all the hype this year have been centered around Moses Mbye. I had a few hours to kill today so I re-watched our 2 games and concentrated on Hoppa.I noted relevant stats and then compared them to the NRL official site. These were the results: Hoppa made 46 tackles, more then rest of our threequarters combined (41). He also made more hit-ups (25),running meters (241) and passing (43) then anyone in our backline. For tackle breaks only Brett Morris with 10 beat Hoppa on 5. Our threequarters had no try assists and Hoppa scored no tries. His ruck work in both defense and attack was not great but acceptable. His positional play in attack was good and deep but was sluggish and slow in the defensive line (especially when sliding right). I'm not trying to be the next Des just offering some basic stats to assist any feedback from the kennel. Looks to me Hoppa without being great is going good. I'm sure as season wears on his co-ordination in defense will improve.To me it looks like for 2019 we might only need to recruit for the left side of our threequarters.

Do you see now why I reckon he would become a great backrower in a few years defending and attacking one more in...

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Do you see now why I reckon he would become a great backrower in a few years defending and attacking one more in...
Defending AND RUNNING against threequarters is 1 think,but did you see how their 2nd row squashed him like a fly.In 2 years he needs to bulk up by 10-15kgs and only time will tell if his speed suffers.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hoppa seems to be the biggest problem on that edge , gasnier laid blame on him a few times in the Storm game, and he of all people should know that position
Can’t agree, let’s focus inside Hoppa:-Jackson (our right edge forward)has been uncharacteristically poor defensively this year. He’s been beaten laterally consistently, he’s bigger but his agility has been compromised & let’s not forget Hpppa also has to defend with Foran who’s still working into match fitness. Criticism of Hoppa is unwarranted

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Defending AND RUNNING against threequarters is 1 think,but did you see how their 2nd row squashed him like a fly.In 2 years he needs to bulk up by 10-15kgs and only time will tell if his speed suffers.
Everyone gets hit sooner or later.. Look at Klem, biggest on field and got hit with one of the shots of the year by a smaller man.

Regardless if he slows down he'll still have some enough speed for a backrower.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Can’t agree, let’s focus inside Hoppa:-Jackson (our right edge forward)has been uncharacteristically poor defensively this year. He’s been beaten laterally consistently, he’s bigger but his agility has been compromised & let’s not forget Hpppa also has to defend with Foran who’s still working into match fitness. Criticism of Hoppa is unwarranted
I agree, I said last week in a thread the new defensive combo of Jackson Foran hoppa will take time to gel!
We sought that out and our defence is rock solid otherwise

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
He did miss a one on one tackle.
But he did get a good fend by a bigger man running at full spead.
But totally agree criticism is unfair.
He is making heaps of meters in attack.
Very very solid player.

Hulk76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He does well to relieve the forwards and take the first hits up or dummy half runs coming out of our own half, but ffs i wish he would show some line speed or enthusiasm in defence. He just seems so relaxed defending out wide and doesn't read the play well. He's not fast enough to be a winger, and not elusive enough to be a strike centre. Wtf do we do with him???

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I cringe every time the opposition moves the ball to that side.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Didnt have a bad game... apart from klemmer. Made more post contact metres than any other player.

The defensive errors were Forans and Jackaons faults as much as Hoppas.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
fair enough, but ill stick with the former Australian, NSW and premiership winning Centre over your opinion thanks..

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hoppas side our weak side in defence once they sort that out well b tough to beat

Gubanaculum

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
hoppa in fullback always attacked on left side, change jmoz over to right were he played for nsw . Would teach monto to defend better!!!!! bmoz and hoppa on left .

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Hasn't played centre since 2015. If someone puts their hand up in NSW Cup I'd be tempted to drop him to get his defence in check.

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I really don't know where Hoppa fits these days.

Defensively, he's a liability in the centres, he's too slow for the wing and fullback, and the list goes on.

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't think he's big or powerful enough to be a back rower

addoujspark

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The beauty of having hoppa in the team he is able to play anywhere u need him although he won't kill it but he has the ability to adapt and hold his own only other player I can think of that would've of scored that try is lafai he's reaction and ability to put the ball down with 2 quality defenders on him nothing but class

Status
Not open for further replies.